Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 12:23 PM

428 posts, read 810,453 times

Advertisements

Anybody in the rural areas around Asheville have a house built recently or know what the cost might be ($/sf) to build a small (800-1000 sf) one story no-basement house? (not including the land). I am trying to figure out if it might be affordable for me to buy land and build a small 2-bedroom simple modern house no basement in the area if I bought land. I seriously only want a 800 sf or so simple house.

EDIT: So I went on a website costtobuild.net and put in an 800sf house and got an estimate of $125,000 to build it (not including land) in Asheville NC. Does that seem reasonable?

Last edited by joe_obody999; 08-09-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 12:39 PM

156 posts, read 147,563 times
1800+ SqFt 3 Bedroom is the only empirical data I have and that is $225-250/sqft. You may need a crawl or basement depending on the land.

If you are interested is something that small Flat Rock has a nice tiny home community

Old 08-09-2019, 04:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Anybody in the rural areas around Asheville have a house built recently or know what the cost might be ($/sf) to build a small (800-1000 sf) one story no-basement house? (not including the land). I am trying to figure out if it might be affordable for me to buy land and build a small 2-bedroom simple modern house no basement in the area if I bought land. I seriously only want a 800 sf or so simple house.

EDIT: So I went on a website costtobuild.net and put in an 800sf house and got an estimate of $125,000 to build it (not including land) in Asheville NC. Does that seem reasonable?
I think there are a select few builders out there who would do it at that price but most are higher than that. Prices have gone up and supplies have skyrocketed. You are better off getting a modular home (NOT to be confused with a manufactured home) at this time because it's less expensive and you get more square footage. You can get it done around $100 sq ft or even less as long as you don't start adding a bunch of upgrades. I can give some recommendations if you want. They do build in rural Asheville as well. These are quality homes built to the same standards as stick built homes. It's the only way I can afford to buy a home in Asheville. I was planning on building a stick built home but got priced out.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:01 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I think there are a select few builders out there who would do it at that price but most are higher than that. Prices have gone up and supplies have skyrocketed. You are better off getting a modular home (NOT to be confused with a manufactured home) at this time because it's less expensive and you get more square footage. You can get it done around $100 sq ft or even less as long as you don't start adding a bunch of upgrades. I can give some recommendations if you want. They do build in rural Asheville as well. These are quality homes built to the same standards as stick built homes. It's the only way I can afford to buy a home in Asheville. I was planning on building a stick built home but got priced out.
DM sent! I think. If I got it right...lol

Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
DM sent! I think. If I got it right...lol
You did I just replied.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM

81 posts, read 87,391 times
Don’t forget to budget for the tree removal, septic field installation, well drilling, electrical to/ into site, erosion control, landscaping to hold the mud in place, and driveway install ($500 a load for gneiss gravel near me and I am only 3 miles to the quarry). It adds up quickly and if you build too cheaply, with minimum insulation and air sealing, it’s a false economy.
And you have to do all the above for a modular/ mobile too.
There used to be a company who advertised small houses on your lot for under $200K. I just saw their most recent ad in Mountain Express, and I believe they are now saying $225K.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:42 AM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
Discounting land and necessary upgrades like well septic driveway and clearing for the home 100sq ft is still doable . Not easily but I know one builder than can still manage that as there a small company with low overhead . He also has a very good rep in Yancey county area .

Old 08-10-2019, 07:26 AM

902 posts, read 808,340 times
Quote:

For those able to think outside the box, consider an insulated shell from Morton Buildings (https://mortonbuildings.com/). You can have one installed for $55 - $65 sqft insulated (or $35 uninsulated) and finish out the interior yourself. The sky's the limit with how you design it and they're pretty much stick built with a metal skin. Finished prices can be @ $130 sqft but you'll have to line up a contractor to do so (or do it yourself) depending on how you finance it. Traditional sitework costs and finding property still apply.

Cons are they can be difficult to finance with traditional banks and they take a certain buyer when selling. Most HOA's will frown upon them too (a non issue for us as we dislike HOA's) and finding comps when selling will be difficult. I believe they're a nice option though in the right area and for the right buyer. When done right they're also just as beautiful and solid as any other home out there.

I worked previously for a national builder as a superintendent and have 80 plus completed homes under my belt from clearing to CO so take my advice as you wish. I wouldn't have any issues calling one home and plan to do so in the near future. Good luck!

Here are some examples of designs done right. Browse their site for more finished projects and inspiration.

https://mortonbuildings.com/projects/vics-garage

https://mortonbuildings.com/projects/don-monicas-garage

https://mortonbuildings.com/projects/verdura-farm

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 08-10-2019 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Deltec is a local green/small home company. Their signature design are round homes but more recently they’ve started doing nice more traditional layouts. Check them out as I’d guess they will be the cheapest you will find. 225-250/foot sounds right though.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:

I would think you could build a 'simple modern house' for around $200 -225 per SF. A few months ago we interviewed 3 respected builders of custom homes in the Asheville area. To our surprise, they all came in around $250 per SF. I'm aware there are some builders in the Asheville area who charge much more -not sure why unless their mark-up is more. "Modern' throws some builders off as they're thinking steel and custom windows, so you will need to explain to them what you mean by 'modern'. Also, try to find a 'relatively' flat piece of land (from personal experience, this can be challenging in western NC), as this will reduce your cost. Another factor to consider is we're likely toward the end of the economic cycle. If so, housing starts will decline, and builders will likely be willing to build for less (western NC is somewhat immune to downturns but not totally). If possible, I'd hold off for a year or so..

Last edited by Lizap; 08-13-2019 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina