Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:20 PM

858 posts, read 682,087 times

Advertisements

I have narrowed my areas to concentrate my home search to once I relocate to WNC in December. I will be working in the 28803 area and my criteria are:
  • Short work commute (less than 30 minutes)
  • Safe area, low crime
  • Affordable homes ($150K - $250K)
  • Wooded area
  • Bonus would be higher elevations
So I have narrowed my search areas down to 28803, 28805, 28806, 28778 and 28711, that is the north - east side of town.

I have a job and I am being transferred, so that's not a factor.
It's just my wife and I, so schools are not a factor.
We are both in our 60's so mountain hiking and nightlife aren't factors either.
And as long as we won't have to drive more than 45 minutes to get to shops, well be fine.

So honestly - Have I picked the wrong areas? What am I missing? Are taxes in Asheville that much different than in Black Mountain?

I have visited these areas and trolled this forum until I thought I'd go blind! I have also scoured the internet for info. But what I can't tell are the things that come from long term living in an area. Like wat areas are too conservative or liberal, or where the folks are standoffish?

I welcome all the advice you can throw at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 02:41 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,645,309 times
Rent or 6 months or a year until you learn exactly where you want to live.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:50 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
..... But what I can't tell are the things that come from long term living in an area. Like wat areas are too conservative or liberal, or where the folks are standoffish?

I welcome all the advice you can throw at me.
I think you should be posting this question in the Western NC sub-forum, not the general NC forum.

My quick search of the properties in your price range in Asheville give me this impression: They are either fixer-uppers or they sell very quickly. If I were moving into this market, I would rent for a year to make sure I did not make a big mistake.

BTW, most of these house have no garage. Will you be able to get to work if a heavy snowfall happens? Something to consider.

Regarding property taxes, Black Mountain is cheap in your price range: $700-1200/year. However, Asheville still has reasonable property taxes: about $1000-1600/year.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-29-2019 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-30-2019, 05:20 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Rent for 6 months or a year until you learn exactly where you want to live.
^^And you can only learn these things based in your own experiences.

Live as close to the job as practical, dive in to the work, do well.
Make some friends, poke around into all the corners, learn your way around.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:35 PM

2,603 posts, read 2,291,657 times
Don’t forget 28804.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:08 PM

644 posts, read 670,879 times
Listen to Edward Teach and Mr Rational. Rent. It is so easy to make a decision based on a first impression and later think 'I wish I would have...' looked here, bought there, whatever. Housing, no matter the budget is a significant investment so take your time. We would never have ended up where we are had we not rented first, even with our multiple trips per year over 3 years scouting properties. Nothing tells the whole story like living here.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:27 AM

212 posts, read 426,918 times
I am aspiring to purchase a home in Asheville area also. A friend who lives in Hendersonville said he initially made mistakes by committing to a house upon arrival from Florida. After he lived in that first home for an entire year, he ended up moving.

His advice was to live in an area through four seasons so you know full growth and bare limb views, spring floodplain issues, winter and summer sun trajectory, etc.

That means renting. Just passing that along because it seems quite sound.

PS - we always drive out on unreasonably rainy days of deluge when considering a property. Then you find out where the street/traffic problems are. This is important in South FL anyway...too many flooded streets are problematic even if the actual property is high and dry.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM

858 posts, read 682,087 times
All great advice. We will probably rent for at least 6 months

Old 11-04-2019, 03:33 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
All great advice. We will probably rent for at least 6 months
I must say that is definitely a great idea wherever you move That way you can get to better know where you'd like to be

Keep us updated along the way. Good luck!

Old 11-05-2019, 12:29 PM

52 posts, read 87,159 times
I would avoid having to travel either on I26 or I40. Traffic has gotten bad, and short commutes are taking longer and longer.
Speaking from experience, the rural areas (outside of Asheville) can be very conservative. I have lived in Leicester for 8 years, and don't know any of my neighbors, tho to be fair, I am set aways from other homes and only share a private road with maybe 6 other families. I think I am the only transplant, everyone is local, gun ho, loud cars, etc etc.
But a killer view, affordable home, and privacy more than make up for living here, kind of a stranger in a strange land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina