Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 886 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

We've be doing our research online and continue to find conflicting information.... so we figured a forum would get the most legitimate information from people who truly know the area.
Our family of 6 needs to relocate, the area we live now is turning to crap and riddled with crime and our kids deserve a better place to grow up.

My husband is self employed and hopes to relocate his business down south. I am primarily a stay at home parent, but willing to work. We are a typical middle class family.

Our wants are:

Decent schools
Low Crime
Affordable living
Within 45 min from supermarkets and hospitals

Kind of the standards I guess. We are not outdoorsy hiking people. But NEED an area with low humidity. We do not mind snow at all, and would actually prefer an area with snow. We know Boone area has plenty, but were hoping to stay south and west of Asheville.

Are there any towns like this that any can direct us towards?
Or any websites with more accurate COL, crime, and school systems rankings.

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 04:24 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,408 times
Areas south and west of Asheville are a temperate rain forest, so you won't find low humidity there. You are really ok living 45 minutes from a grocery store?! I don't think you could find a house anywhere in NC thats not within 45 minutes of one.

What attracts you to western NC?

Just Google for crime rates and COL. Good source of school data here: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

What kind of business does your husband have? Is it transferable to anywhere? Does he need to have a customer base?

Old 02-17-2020, 06:19 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
And, "Affordable living"...a key point of OP's list.
What is budget or 'affordable' to OP
GL, mD

Old 02-17-2020, 06:57 PM

569 posts, read 341,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtorelocateasap View Post
Hey all,

We've be doing our research online and continue to find conflicting information.... so we figured a forum would get the most legitimate information from people who truly know the area.
Our family of 6 needs to relocate, the area we live now is turning to crap and riddled with crime and our kids deserve a better place to grow up.

My husband is self employed and hopes to relocate his business down south. I am primarily a stay at home parent, but willing to work. We are a typical middle class family.

Our wants are:

Decent schools
Low Crime
Affordable living
Within 45 min from supermarkets and hospitals

Kind of the standards I guess. We are not outdoorsy hiking people. But NEED an area with low humidity. We do not mind snow at all, and would actually prefer an area with snow. We know Boone area has plenty, but were hoping to stay south and west of Asheville.

Are there any towns like this that any can direct us towards?
Or any websites with more accurate COL, crime, and school systems rankings.

THANKS!!!
Don't know where you are moving from, but some of the public school systems in this state are not the best, particularly in the rural areas. Need to do your homework on that one, unless your kids go to private schools.

Old 02-18-2020, 05:28 AM

789 posts, read 784,593 times
Check out Yancey County , north of asheville . Seems like it might fill your needs and concerns . Don't forget the I-26 south of Asheville and I-240 west half up grades to deal with for many years depending on where you live . We moved to rural Yancey County 23 years ago after vacationing in the area over some years as we found it a great area to raise our girls in and still a good or better option today .

Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 AM

212 posts, read 265,304 times
WNC is not a place you relocate to ASAP: ie your username "needtorelocateasap". It takes tons of research to understand the different pockets of WNC.

Most importantly I would scratch it off your list for 2 reasons. The big one: 'affordable living'. That doesn't exist here. Not even if you rent. If you don't already have your work established here, you are in even bigger trouble.

Second: You're not out-doorsy hiking people and want low humidity. WNC seems like a terrible idea for your family.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times
not outdoorsy, and seek low humidity.....hmmmmmmm Phoenix ??

Old 02-18-2020, 09:32 PM

487 posts, read 467,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
not outdoorsy, and seek low humidity.....hmmmmmmm Phoenix ??
Totally agree, WNC is humid. We run our dehumidifier year round.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 AM

789 posts, read 784,593 times
You want humid move a couple miles father south . We moved from SW FL after 42 years . Were we live is is comfortable . Not hot or cold dry like AZ or NM or parts of texas . As noted you most do your research . We have friends from florida that picked Brevard to live near and they note how wet it has been over the last 7 or 8 years and are looking to move this way . South and west of Ashville can find some unique weather .

Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
Bring your umbrellas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina