Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 08:42 AM

134 posts, read 146,128 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am from central Montana and my wife and I are looking for a place to move to in the couple of years that has a bit better climate but still 4 seasons. We are aging some and Montana harsh conditions are wearing us down. I was thinking maybe Waynesville or Brevard. We would need jobs with middleground pay and health insurance. I like to ride my electric bike in the mountains and would to know if the trails there permit that or if its just not a big deal. Electric bikes are getting more widely accepted as people are seeing they aren't damaging like initially thought. We like the outdoors and hate poisonous snakes. In central MT we have lots of rattlesnakes. I there are snakes in NC too but it seems like from my readings encounters aren't too common. I kill about 10 a year in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:56 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,618,825 times
Jobs will be tough. What do you do? What is "middleground pay"? Have you calculated the cost of living differential (if any) between where you are in Montana and Waynesville/Brevard? Whats your housing budget?

My initial reaction is you'd be better off looking in Knoxville or Chattanooga, TN or Greenville, SC.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:59 AM

We are mid 40's, will have $250k-275k cash for a house in hand. We both have a variety of skill sets in building maintenence and construction fields. Would like to make $40+k a year with health insurance.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 AM

A house won't be a problem, depending on your exact wants/needs and location. I think jobs will be an issue.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:41 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
.... I like to ride my electric bike in the mountains and would to know if the trails there permit that or if its just not a big deal. Electric bikes are getting more widely accepted as people are seeing they aren't damaging like initially thought....
You would have to check the individual state parks. My gut feeling is no, they do not permit any motorized vehicles, because the trails are supposed to be reserved for hikers. Some national forests allow them in some areas. There also might be private campgrounds where you could ride your electric bikes.

For example, Grandfather Mountain does not permit any bicycles: https://grandfather.com/visit/plan-your-visit/faqs/

They are allowed on trails permiting motorized vehicles in Nantahala National Forest: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nfs...tion/bicycling

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-27-2020 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 02-27-2020, 10:50 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
.... In central MT we have lots of rattlesnakes. I there are snakes in NC too but it seems like from my readings encounters aren't too common. I kill about 10 a year in my area.
Don't plan on killing snakes in North Carolina. The eastern diamondback is a protected, endanged species. The pigmy and timber rattlers are "of special concern". https://www.ncwildlife.org/News/see-a-snake-dont-panic

Old 02-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Point taken on the snakes. There must a lot less there than here. We can come acrossed dens of hundreds at a time so its not the same thing.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:47 PM

WNC has lots of mountain bike trails (as opposed to hiking trails). I don't know what an electric bicycle is exactly, nor if they are allowed on bike trails.

As far as snakes, I've spent a fair amount of time outdoors in western NC and have never seen a poisonous snake (at least not I that I know, lol).

Old 02-27-2020, 03:29 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,504,527 times
I would suggest the Madison/Yancey Counties area and Avery/Watauga/Ashe Counties area. Lots of construction, easy access to Asheville and Boone. Now and then u might hear of a rattler more often a copperhead they are around but nothing like rattlers in MT. I'll send a PM with some newspaper and classified ad paper web sites give you some info sources to have.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:08 PM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina