Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:17 AM

50 posts, read 46,473 times

Advertisements

Hi mooksmom,
I will tell you there is nothing like taking the motorcycle up the Maine coast to chomp on a lobsta and some steema's (boston slang). Cape Cod, Gloucester, RI and CT are all an hour or so away. Very expensive, lots of traffic in the summer but great seafood. We have DTDT. Same with hiking the VT Green Mt and the NH White Mt. Time to move this adventure along

I'm not sure about renting however we will see. I think my biggest of all my concerns is what "Flatwood" was mentioning, no matter where the property is, it must not be a gloomy area of WNC plus I would like to be near the mountains with Asheville in the 20 mile radius range (for Sandra). I know coming the spring is probably not going to give me the true lay of the land as visiting in the winter. I'm getting ready to take a trip down in a few weeks. I think this will be one of many!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
I know that you probably won't want to hear this, but you and Sandra need to come and rent for a year. You can bike around and find your/her best place. I have lived there and moved because of the limited hospital systems and Nursing jobs available. I'm retired now and thinking of a possible move but more to a coastal area where I can fish/ eat fresh seafood daily. Im going to put 90% of my stuff in storage and rent x a year...so I end up with MY perfect fit.
Best of luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 07:30 AM

787 posts, read 770,401 times
You should pay close attention to weather in your top 10 areas you are considering and you might find north of Weaverville a better choice .

You don't want gloomy weather ! . MIght want to look at coastal georgia !! Most every where this side of the big muddy has been gloomy for the last 15 years increaseing with each year or two more so but you know the weather pattern have been different where your at now . Some area here get far more weather that others too . Find a large valley to live in for less of everything . Perhaps you can spend a couple weeks hopping around the mountains in small stand alone Airbnb's that are far lower cost than motels and have a better view . Think of it as a working vacation . Theres some here for 33 bucks bucks a night , spend a week or two check out the areas you have an interest in to help fine tune your choices and get better real time input from your wife . These treads are useless after a page or two until you get feet on the ground .

Old 05-09-2020, 04:09 PM

50 posts, read 46,473 times
Noooo coastal Georgia......hot as heck although you can buy a really nice home there for $400s. We have some places that were checking out on our way down. A few places in Virginia. One is the Charlottesville area. Then we can come into Asheville from the North and check out your area, Weaverville, and so on.

Kind of like a sport for me. Sandra being the goal posts. I have to take what I want and align it with hers. Kind of fun but time consuming and sometimes frustrating. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, the place we live in now took almost 4 years to find even in the same town we were living. We had to be near a train and not too far from the airport. A huge undertaking with our budget in this area.

I think I have enough info to cover a lot of the area in WNC. You all on the forum and the folks that sent me direct messages have been super helpful. I will say I have been reading forums from other areas and the people on the city-data blow them away when it comes to being kind and helpful. This is a big plus for US...…..so thank you all!! I will update on our progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
You should pay close attention to weather in your top 10 areas you are considering and you might find north of Weaverville a better choice .

You don't want gloomy weather ! . MIght want to look at coastal georgia !! Most every where this side of the big muddy has been gloomy for the last 15 years increaseing with each year or two more so but you know the weather pattern have been different where your at now . Some area here get far more weather that others too . Find a large valley to live in for less of everything . Perhaps you can spend a couple weeks hopping around the mountains in small stand alone Airbnb's that are far lower cost than motels and have a better view . Think of it as a working vacation . Theres some here for 33 bucks bucks a night , spend a week or two check out the areas you have an interest in to help fine tune your choices and get better real time input from your wife . These treads are useless after a page or two until you get feet on the ground .

Old 05-10-2020, 01:48 PM

787 posts, read 770,401 times
Remember to start log on likes and dislikes of communities you visit including average weather !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina