Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:57 AM

215 posts, read 370,639 times

Advertisements

Hi all. What are the rules, outside city limits, for shooting a gun near a residence, shooting guns on your own property, shooting something on someone else's property, etc. Or if you have a link or can direct me to the right website, that would be great too.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 AM

261 posts, read 380,130 times
Where? This will be governed by local ordinances. Buncombe County (that is that portion of the County not inside a city) prohibits the discharge of a firearm with 300 feet of an occupied dwelling.

https://www.buncombecounty.org/Governing/Ordinances/

See section 26-181 (b) (8)

Section 54-10 prohibits carrying or discharging firearms in county parks.

There is a search feature within the ordinance that you can use to search for "Firearm", "discharge", "gun", etc.

Calling the appropriate Sheriff's Office to ask or confirm is also a good idea.

For other jurisdictions, just Google "Asheville (or whatever) firearm ordinance" and you'll most likely find the appropriate link to their Code of Ordinances.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Thank you! It would be in Franklin. Recently had a situation with a neighbor shooting guns. Started thinking I should read up on any applicable laws, just in case.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponychick View Post
Thank you! It would be in Franklin. Recently had a situation with a neighbor shooting guns. Started thinking I should read up on any applicable laws, just in case.

where were they shooting guns? Their property? Toward your house.....away from your house? how close to a state road?

Old 02-16-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
where were they shooting guns? Their property? Toward your house.....away from your house? how close to a state road?
from the side of the road (private neighborhood road, not state maintained) in front of another neighbor's yard, into my fenced pasture.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponychick View Post
from the side of the road (private neighborhood road, not state maintained) in front of another neighbor's yard, into my fenced pasture.
they were shooting into your fenced pasture? Yeah, that's a no-no unless they have your permission.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 PM

21 posts, read 29,337 times
Depends if you are living within Franklin or in the county. If you are from the area, certainly you are aware that you aren't living in the city or suburbs, and gun fire is fairly common. Obviously if your neighbor is firing onto your property that would be a violation of your property rights. Check your county ordinances if you live in the county to see if there are any specific property size requirements before discharging fire arms for sport, as opposed to varmint control, ect.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I would go over and talk to them.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:54 PM

LiveLoveLaugh, you are right. I did speak to him. My SO did as well. I do think that as neighbors, that would be the best option.
I do want to know what the laws are, just for my own well being. And my horses well being too
I still just can't get over the fact that he shot into my pasture, with my horses in it.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
Good for you and I can't believe they shot in your pasture either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina