Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 07:21 PM

92 posts, read 73,441 times

Advertisements

Was out walking in deep woods near home in Barnardsville and came across this big bear scat and another pile not far away. Scary to think such a large bear is near our home and that of our neighbors. I haven't heard of a sighting but it's definitely here.
Attached Thumbnails
Bear scat near home-img_2038.jpg   Bear scat near home-img_2039.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 08:57 PM

22 posts, read 60,761 times
Yep, that's bear scat in the woods. Age-old question answered.

Bears are super common everywhere around western NC, even in downtown Asheville. In fact I've seen more in suburbia than in the backcountry. You've really got nothing to fear if you use common sense... the fact that they've been leaving piles that big near your house without a sighting just proves that they usually want nothing to do with humans. Just keep your trash, pet food, bird food, etc cleaned up and you're unlikely to have any trouble.
I imagine that bears are hunted a lot in the Barnardsville area and have a healthy respect and even fear of humans around there.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:14 PM

5,412 posts, read 5,898,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogbubble View Post
Yep, that's bear scat in the woods. Age-old question answered.

Bears are super common everywhere around western NC, even in downtown Asheville. In fact I've seen more in suburbia than in the backcountry. You've really got nothing to fear if you use common sense... the fact that they've been leaving piles that big near your house without a sighting just proves that they usually want nothing to do with humans. Just keep your trash, pet food, bird food, etc cleaned up and you're unlikely to have any trouble.
I imagine that bears are hunted a lot in the Barnardsville area and have a healthy respect and even fear of humans around there.
Just an added note, I've seen several BBQ grills destroyed when left outside. Not much food involved, but plenty of smell to bring'em in.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:09 AM

787 posts, read 771,163 times
billj6 Seems like your just waking to the fact you live in a rural area where wild life abound and during the spring bears are Particularly hungry and looking to add some body weight . Momma bears are out with baby bears and young males are out looking for there own territory to call home . So keep you home tight , garbage hauled off but you can expect bears to travel thru your area and stave if pick'uns are easy .

When out for a walk or run wear No ear buds or head phones in the woods and pay attention and don't try to be quiet in the woods as you really don't want to be to close to a bear by accident . Today you should watch even in a city or town as bears when hungry will venture into a city area when that city is in bear country .

Now watch this video if you have not seen it but note this well feed bear behind a restaurant taking a couple dumpsters home for dinner . It is a few miles from the "woods " and inside the developed city of colorado springs and only a block or two from major roads .

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=edelweis...&setlang=en-US

Old 04-26-2020, 08:06 PM

92 posts, read 73,441 times
I know the bears are around, neighbors have sighted them. We've been here a year and don't leave garbage out and the feeder never is more than 1/3 full of seed. What shocked me was the size of the scat, makes me think it's a big male.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:57 PM

339 posts, read 315,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billj6 View Post
I know the bears are around, neighbors have sighted them. We've been here a year and don't leave garbage out and the feeder never is more than 1/3 full of seed. What shocked me was the size of the scat, makes me think it's a big male.
prob. just a bear..of any sex..that had a good meal or two before excretion.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:48 AM

billj6 That's not a big pile of bear scat .

Old 04-29-2020, 03:01 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,846,832 times
To avoid bear confrontations, always carry bear spray and wear little bells pinned to your clothing so that the bear can hear you coming and run off. Also, be on the lookout for fresh bear scat.

How do you recognize bear scat, you ask? Well, it smells like bear spray and is full of little bells.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:40 PM

5,412 posts, read 5,898,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
To avoid bear confrontations, always carry bear spray and wear little bells pinned to your clothing so that the bear can hear you coming and run off. Also, be on the lookout for fresh bear scat.

How do you recognize bear scat, you ask? Well, it smells like bear spray and is full of little bells.

Yes, bears love spicy food!!!

I carry an airhorn hooked on my pack or belt when I'm in the woods.

When I first got it, I tried the air horn in the house, it works great. My wife left a significant amount of bear scat on the kitchen floor. A by-product of the horn test was the big bruise the frying pan left on the side of my head.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:51 AM

Hahahahahehehehe Good morning laugh , Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina