Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:01 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,477,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyRanger View Post
With all due respect (and I sincerely mean that), he's 20 years old and is still trying to figure out his path. It sounds to me like he's doing just fine, at least compared to me when I was his age .

I've mentored college kids over the years and I think it's easy to forget how difficult of a season it is for them and how much pressure is on their shoulders- You're still trying to figure out life, you're kinda on your own but still being treated like a kid by your parents, feeling inadequate when compared to your peers, wondering if you're ever going to get married, not exactly sure what career path is best, etc. I could go on and on... Unfortunately I think it's one of the reasons suicide has skyrocketed for this age group. It's quite sad.

@FloridaBoy99- Judging by your name, I graduated high school the year you were born and I'm still trying to figure life out. ;-) You're doing a great job and sounds like you have some great options on the table. Life will change, your plans or interests may change and there's nothing wrong with that. If there's anything I can do to help you out, please let me know. -Matt
With all due respect I said nothing mean. Based on your grad date I’m far closer to college aged kids then you, I don’t need reminding of what it’s like. Sometimes a grounding force is needed.

It’s clear he has no idea what to do and is trying to plan for years in the future. If he came here and said “I plan to move there next year” my response would have been different. As it is he doesn’t even know what degrees he want or jobs he wants and is asking about them for years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 04:29 PM

113 posts, read 276,930 times
I chased a similar dream in the early 2000's and found entry level professional jobs very difficult to come by at the time. After I got here, I found that most of those go to someone's relative.

I had to do about 5 years in a larger city (Atlanta) to build-up my resume (I work in IT) and finally got here around 2006. While I really detested Atlanta, looking back that was a good move since it allowed me to work in several different areas to really figure out what I wanted to do. When considering our move here, the lack of professional opportunity was definite "con". We rolled the dice.

No regrets for us (quality of life is not determined by stuff or a bank account balance), but you gotta assign weight to what matters and everyone has different priorities.

Good luck!
Opt-Out

Old 06-07-2020, 12:21 PM

376 posts, read 501,279 times
First thing that comes to mind is the tax software company in Franklin, about an hour from asheville in rural western nc.

Im sure you could land some kind of job in Asheville with those credentials but I seriously doubt you will get paid what you are worth, if you are coming in with 3 years of experience.

A lot of people start out at these smaller companies and leave once they have experience, not the opposite (like what you want to do).

Old 06-07-2020, 01:30 PM

52 posts, read 29,691 times
If you want some good starting experience and opportunities in the finance field, I highly recommend NOT heading to WNC. Head to Charlotte instead, build your resume there, and take off on the weekends for the mountains. Any of the mountain towns are going to have minimal opportunities; I know this for a fact because I've spent ten years in WNC and am having to look at Charlotte and Greenville now for advanced finance career paths. Not saying those jobs aren't here; they're just hard to come by. Best of luck! By the way, I went to Boston right out of college and it was worth every penny. The bigger cities and not the smaller tourist traps are best for new graduates imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina