Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 03:56 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times

Advertisements

I will preface this post by saying I am a firm believer in taking reasonable precautions and following the recommendation of public health professionals. I've been staying at home 95% of the time, only going out for essential shopping (e.g. groceries) and occasional take-out meals. I practice the Three W's. I believe the Town of Boone is way over-reaching.

After a five-hour video meeting on Thursday night, June 21, the Boone Town Council (minus one member and the mayor) voted 3-1 to enact COVID-19 restrictions that are far tighter than the rest of Watauga County and the State of NC (Phase 2). Not only did they maintain 14-day self quarantine for anyone coming in from outside the county, but they are prohibiting anyone from outside Watauga County from shopping in the Town of Boone among other restrictions.

I live full-time less than 100 yards from the Watauga County line, and based on these new restrictions, I am not allowed "to enter any establishment open to the public (within the Boone town limits) other than medical offices and medical facilities unless and until such time as (I) have stayed in Watauga County for an uninterrupted overnight stay of at least 14 days" or have tested negative for COVID-19.

As one can imagine, they are getting a huge backlash on FB and elsewhere. The Boone Chamber of Commerce has issued a strongly worded criticism. The Village of Blowing Rock is following the lead of Watauga County gov't and the State of NC's phased plan.

If you are interested, here is more reading on the matter from High Country Press.

https://www.hcpress.com/news/boone-t...uarantine.html

https://www.hcpress.com/news/stateme...claration.html

More on the subject from the Watauga Democrat:

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/covi...w5D3pl9Nd7DXk0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 PM

Hot off the press!!!!! Hotel owners took the town to court this afternoon.

From the Winston-Salem Journal:

A judge has temporarily stopped the town of Boone from forcing visitors to wait 14 days before entering most businesses and other places that are open to the public.

Superior Court Judge R. Gregory Horne issued a temporary restraining order Friday evening that forbids the town from enforcing a declaration it passed on Thursday that imposed the waiting period.

The rest of the article: https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...4958d871f.html (the WS Journal does have a limited number of views before imposing a firewall)

Last edited by roadpony; 05-22-2020 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-22-2020, 06:59 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,348,547 times
This is what comes of no Federal plan. Leaving it to states, counties, towns without any central leadership. Gad, what a mess.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:39 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
It would have been impossible to enforce.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
It would have been impossible to enforce.
Absolutely. What were they going to do... force employees to check ID's for everyone who walks in the door?

And how is it ok to say that Boone residents can shop at at WalMart, Publix, Harris Teater, etc. but Avery County residents (for example) who live 12 miles away cannot?

Old 05-22-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Absolutely. What were they going to do... force employees to check ID's for everyone who walks in the door?

And how is it ok to say that Boone residents can shop at at WalMart, Publix, Harris Teater, etc. but Avery County residents (for example) who live 12 miles away cannot?
Yes, absolutely amazing that duly elected people assumed to command moderate intelligence and in all likelihood a staff lawyer advising them could come up with such a hair-brained plan.

Of course, in all my years of dealing with county commissioners and town councils, I have seen some doozies for sure.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:39 AM

68 posts, read 148,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
This is what comes of no Federal plan. Leaving it to states, counties, towns without any central leadership. Gad, what a mess.
The federal government has issued guidelines but their power and authority is limited under the Constitution, specifically the 10th Amendment, which is why the Governors have the power to decide when/how to reopen their states (and why all states are doing it slightly differently).

https://www.heritage.org/the-constit...ergency-powers

Old 05-29-2020, 09:01 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
In a crippling economy, I'm surprised a tourist town would enact such a law.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:25 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
In a crippling economy, I'm surprised a tourist town would enact such a law.
It appears the town council places more importance on the lives and well-being of its citizens than the economy.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM

We live in a neighboring county to Boone. Our neighbors just went over to pick up a prescription in Boone.
They said the place had a ghost town atmosphere this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina