Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 02:11 PM

6 posts, read 5,754 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

My partner and I (late 40's/early 50's no kids) currently live in Vermont where property taxes are absurdly high and the winters far too long. We both work from home so finding a job is not part of the agenda. We have visited many places in the US (used to live in Santa Cruz & Santa Barbara, CA) and have narrowed it down to your beautiful neck of the woods.

Here's a pretty detailed list of what we're looking/hoping for. We have been to Asheville, West Asheville, and Black Mountain. West Asheville was fun but a bit too much traffic noise. Black Mountain is cute but a bit too crafty/quilting/cutesie for our tastes (absolutely no judgement, just trying to be real about what we resonate with). Hendersonville also seemed like more of a retirement place and we're not quite there yet! Love Asheville to visit, but we're not city people so wouldn't want to live right there.

Thank you for helping us narrow down the field. We'll be visiting (if Covid allows) a few times before finding a place to rent, and eventually buy.

- House price around $250-$350k with 3-5 acres, hopefully some water, a view that doesn't include other houses, and plenty of gardening space (we are serious growers of fruits, veggies, and flowers on quite a bit scale).

- Near to a small town that attracts an eclectic and diverse mix of folks of all ages, leans less touristy, and has a vibrant local community of (organic) farmers, musicians, artists, and just down to earth folk who feel more inclusive than divisive, a few good restaurants (not chains), coffee shop, fun bar or two, farmer's market, and a great grocery store that has lots of organic options. Alternative health options would be great too (acupuncture, naturopaths, etc.)

- No Walmarts, MacDonalds, or big box stores is a big plus!

- Prefer somewhere that doesn't get too terribly hot in the summer, but it's 95 here today as I write this.

- Good air quality (allergies fine, but def. avoiding pollution).

If something jumps to mind or if I can answer any questions to help narrow it down, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 02:28 PM

204 posts, read 203,073 times
Have you checked near Boone or Lenoir? We moved outside of Lenoir almost 6 years ago,got around 5 acres in the middle of the woods,in the country but close enough to get to either Lenoir or Blowing Rock in about 20 minutes. Boone is less than 10 minutes from Blowing Rock give or take.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:03 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,334,375 times
Sounds like Brevard would be a good fit, although there is a McDonalds there. It's likely going to be challenging finding a place with that much land in your price range, although if you're willing to compromise on the house, it may be doable.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 5,754 times
THanks Dackelmom and Lizap. I am going to check realty in those areas to get a feel. Any thoughts on Sylva and Burnsville? Just noticing lots of real estate in my price range there.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:38 PM

12,631 posts, read 32,114,094 times
Burnsville? It sounds like something that may work for you. The other options are Brevard or Sylva.

Last edited by beckycat; 07-27-2020 at 05:03 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 04:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
I think Burnsville might work. Brevard and Boone are good suggestions, both college towns (Brevard College is small with an excellent music program, Appalachian State is large with an excellent music program). You might look at Celo intentional community too, just a stone's throw away from Burnsville. I don't think there are a ton of touring bands that come through places like Burnsville and Sylva, but you could travel to Asheville to see shows. Brevard will see more rain (on the edge of the temperate rain forest). Boone is cooler in the summer and winter.

If you're willing to give up the mountains, Saxapahaw near Chapel Hill ticks all your boxes except the one about not getting hot. Really superb music venue, great farm to table scene.

Check out Floyd VA, too. It may be the best match to all your wants.

Last edited by poppydog; 07-27-2020 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-27-2020, 04:49 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,544,358 times
As for Burnsville (and Spruce Pine and Bakersville), there is a high concentration of artists (pottery/glass/wood/jewelry/fiber etc) for a rural area. This is due to the internationally known Penland School of Craft in between Spruce Pine and Burnsville. Not "cutesie... much more down to earth. Don't know about a music scene (not my thing) but with an artistic community, music generally is there as well. More impromptu and informal. Yes, there's a McDonalds on Hwy 19E, but except for a well-hidden WalMart on the outskirts of Spruce Pine, no other big boxes till you get closer toward Asheville.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:29 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,334,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceElizabeth View Post
THanks Dackelmom and Lizap. I am going to check realty in those areas to get a feel. Any thoughts on Sylva and Burnsville? Just noticing lots of real estate in my price range there.
I was going to mention Sylva. It is a a good bit smaller than Brevard, but close to Western Carolina University in Cullowhee. It is a gorgeous 40 minute (approx.) drive to Cashiers, and then on to Highlands. You will pass Lake Glenville on the way. This is one of our favorite drives, especially in the fall.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:31 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,520,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceElizabeth View Post
Hello there,

My partner and I (late 40's/early 50's no kids) currently live in Vermont where property taxes are absurdly high and the winters far too long. We both work from home so finding a job is not part of the agenda. We have visited many places in the US (used to live in Santa Cruz & Santa Barbara, CA) and have narrowed it down to your beautiful neck of the woods.

Here's a pretty detailed list of what we're looking/hoping for. We have been to Asheville, West Asheville, and Black Mountain. West Asheville was fun but a bit too much traffic noise. Black Mountain is cute but a bit too crafty/quilting/cutesie for our tastes (absolutely no judgement, just trying to be real about what we resonate with). Hendersonville also seemed like more of a retirement place and we're not quite there yet! Love Asheville to visit, but we're not city people so wouldn't want to live right there.

Thank you for helping us narrow down the field. We'll be visiting (if Covid allows) a few times before finding a place to rent, and eventually buy.

- House price around $250-$350k with 3-5 acres, hopefully some water, a view that doesn't include other houses, and plenty of gardening space (we are serious growers of fruits, veggies, and flowers on quite a bit scale).

- Near to a small town that attracts an eclectic and diverse mix of folks of all ages, leans less touristy, and has a vibrant local community of (organic) farmers, musicians, artists, and just down to earth folk who feel more inclusive than divisive, a few good restaurants (not chains), coffee shop, fun bar or two, farmer's market, and a great grocery store that has lots of organic options. Alternative health options would be great too (acupuncture, naturopaths, etc.)

- No Walmarts, MacDonalds, or big box stores is a big plus!

- Prefer somewhere that doesn't get too terribly hot in the summer, but it's 95 here today as I write this.

- Good air quality (allergies fine, but def. avoiding pollution).

If something jumps to mind or if I can answer any questions to help narrow it down, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
I agree with post #7 and you might look at Ashe Co. which is NE of Boone. Yancey, Mitchell and Avery Co.'s which are SW of Boone. I just moved to Ashe Co. from Brattleboro 13 mths ago....

Old 07-28-2020, 04:18 AM

789 posts, read 789,674 times
Like others sad Yancey county- burnsville and mitchell and ashe county looks like they could fill your needs but watch real estate daily on sites like zillow as home choice on nice land come and go quickly in some areas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina