Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 10:06 AM

134 posts, read 125,236 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, new member here. I've read a lot of great comments from members of this group regarding personal experiences in various areas of WNC, so, I'm hoping that members will consider and comment regarding our search for a place to call home.

My wife and I love the rolling hills of the British countryside, particularly the area of Britain known as the Coltswolds. We would like to find a similar scenic location here in the US and we plan on having a small stone house built on land that we purchase. We also plan on building a large woodworking / art studio with with scenic views so that my wife and I can enjoy our hobbies. We are ideologically right of center and hope to be a part of a like minded community.

We do not want to be at the top of a steep mountain, but rather more rolling terrain. We do not want to be too remote from necessities, but we are looking for privacy, so we would probably be looking to purchase about 10 acres or more, if possible. We have no interest in water sports or snow skiing and would rather not be in a touristy area. Hiking areas would be a plus.

Personal traveling is currently curtailed due to the virus, so, in the meantime, we are trying to do as much homework as possible. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-01-2020, 10:18 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
Hello everyone, new member here. I've read a lot of great comments from members of this group regarding personal experiences in various areas of WNC, so, I'm hoping that members will consider and comment regarding our search for a place to call home.

My wife and I love the rolling hills of the British countryside, particularly the area of Britain known as the Coltswolds. We would like to find a similar scenic location here in the US and we plan on having a small stone house built on land that we purchase. We also plan on building a large woodworking / art studio with with scenic views so that my wife and I can enjoy our hobbies. We are ideologically right of center and hope to be a part of a like minded community.

We do not want to be at the top of a steep mountain, but rather more rolling terrain. We do not want to be too remote from necessities, but we are looking for privacy, so we would probably be looking to purchase about 10 acres or more, if possible. We have no interest in water sports or snow skiing and would rather not be in a touristy area. Hiking areas would be a plus.

Personal traveling is currently curtailed due to the virus, so, in the meantime, we are trying to do as much homework as possible. Thanks for your help!
It would help us to help you if we knew what your budget is.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times
The internet is your best friend. I'm in the Linville area and I absolutely love it. Good luck Just keep searching real estate sites until you can travel here!

Old 09-01-2020, 10:45 AM

773 posts, read 646,025 times
To me, it sounds like you're describing Wilkes, Surry and Allegheny Counties.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
It would help us to help you if we knew what your budget is.
I'd like to stay under $650K if possible.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
The internet is your best friend. I'm in the Linville area and I absolutely love it. Good luck Just keep searching real estate sites until you can travel here!
We've been doing the internet searches for months. I am hoping to hear the collective wisdom of this group.
Real estate sites don't give a realistic picture, most often.
Chamber of Commerce sites are there to promote visiting tourism.
Youtube videos are mostly inept.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
To me, it sounds like you're describing Wilkes, Surry and Allegheny Counties.
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you say particular reasons that you would recommend these areas. I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2020, 03:12 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,042 times
It might be more productive to do it the other way around. Give us the names of some areas or communities that are appealing to you, and let us give you our perspectives.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:35 PM

773 posts, read 646,025 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Can you say particular reasons that you would recommend these areas. I would love to hear them. Thanks!
It fits geographically with what you describe you're looking for...rolling hills, mountains in the background, the (smallist) cities of Elkin and N. Wilkesboro nearby for "necessities". And land is much cheaper than further west.

Last edited by Royal James; 09-01-2020 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 04:19 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Quote:

Have not been to the Coltswolds, but did take a look at some photos online. From what I can see, it looks like WNC may have the Coltswolds beat in term of being scenic. We recently purchased a home west of Hendersonville, and sometimes have to pinch ourselves; hard to believe we live in an area so beautiful. We are fortunate to have travelled to many places in the U.S. and the world, and WNC is definitely in the top 5 in terms of scenery. I don't know much about the area around Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, other than that these areas are at a higher elevation than most of the areas around Asheville; hence the winters are going to be colder with more snow. Much of WNC can be touristy, just because of its natural beauty. My first thought was the area between Hendersonville and Brevard, off of Crab Creek Rd. This area is gorgeous and like you described. It's in a wonderful location, convenient to Hendersonville and Brevard. Brevard leans center and center left and Hendersonville more center right. As you get away from the towns, the area is more conservative. Both Brevard and Hendersonville are 'artsy' towns, and you are not far from the wonderful River Arts District in Asheville. The problem is going to be your budget. Decent land in this area is not cheap, and by the time you build your house, you may be close to, if not, exceeding your budget. Building costs have gone up dramatically in the last few years; we were planning to build ourselves, but we found a house with a better view at roughly half the cost of what it was going to cost to build. I highly recommend you visit the area and talk to some builders before you move too far in the design process. It may be cheaper to build in some of the areas previously mentioned ( Wilkes, Surry and Allegheny Counties) - I'm not sure.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-01-2020 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina