Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 06:43 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

With kids in mind, I think the NC Arboretum and some of the trails at either Craggy Gardens or Mount Mitchell would be good bets. Parking is very limited at the Dupont State Forest waterfall area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 03:18 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
I'm not totally clear whether the OP plans to be in Asheville this coming weekend or a week from now. If it's this weekend, please be aware that a protest is planned for this coming Saturday night (Sept 19) in downtown Asheville. The purpose of the protest is to disrupt tourism in downtown Asheville.

Asheville Police Chief puts out warning ahead of planned weekend protest

Old 09-17-2020, 04:04 PM

902 posts, read 808,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I'm not totally clear whether the OP plans to be in Asheville this coming weekend or a week from now. If it's this weekend, please be aware that a protest is planned for this coming Saturday night (Sept 19) in downtown Asheville. The purpose of the protest is to disrupt tourism in downtown Asheville.

Lol. I say go for it as nobody in Asheville relies on tourist dollars. Not a soul.

Eventually though they’ll have to own up to the chasing away of those who keep their mouths fed and lights turned on once they get turned off. You know though at that point they’ll be another scapegoat to blame and deflect responsibility onto. Makes total sense.

Hope the OP sees this and avoids the area completely, or at least passes Asheville over and spends their tourist $$$ at some of the welcoming mom and pop places out in the country. I know we would.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:09 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:

OP didn't specify when they were coming. There are so many wonderful things to see and do in the area. This wouldn't stop me one bit. Who knows - they might want to participate in the event..

Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Lol. I say go for it as nobody in Asheville relies on tourist dollars. Not a soul.

Eventually though they’ll have to own up to the chasing away of those who keep their mouths fed and lights turned on once they get turned off. You know though at that point they’ll be another scapegoat to blame and deflect responsibility onto. Makes total sense.

Hope the OP sees this and avoids the area completely, or at least passes Asheville over and spends their tourist $$$ at some of the welcoming mom and pop places out in the country. I know we would.
Lord have mercy.

Are there a few folks marching around Pack Square? Sure, but avoid them during their protest hours if you don't want to see it. Easy enough.

I partied downtown last Saturday night. Got a room at the Sheraton downtown where Chop House (closed...) is for <$100 before taxes. First I've ever seen a downtown hotel at that rate, and that parking lot maybe had two dozen cars for that huge hotel. Long amble back from Burial on the south slope, stopped by DSSOLVR on Lexington, good spot. A good bit of people dining. Active, but VERY subdued. By 10 PM, downtown was asleep.

Business is notably depressed. Any AVL customer facing business would be glad to have this family's business at this time.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:04 PM

902 posts, read 808,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Lord have mercy.

Are there a few folks marching around Pack Square? Sure, but avoid them during their protest hours if you don't want to see it. Easy enough.

I partied downtown last Saturday night. Got a room at the Sheraton downtown where Chop House (closed...) is for <$100 before taxes. First I've ever seen a downtown hotel at that rate, and that parking lot maybe had two dozen cars for that huge hotel. Long amble back from Burial on the south slope, stopped by DSSOLVR on Lexington, good spot. A good bit of people dining. Active, but VERY subdued. By 10 PM, downtown was asleep.

Business is notably depressed. Any AVL customer facing business would be glad to have this family's business at this time.
Like I said, they can protest and disrupt the tourist dollars coming into AVL all they want. Doesn’t affect my ability to feed my family one bit. The business owners downtown and the people they employ are a different story though.

Regardless, not really sure how disrupting tourism in AVL and the money it brings in has anything to do with civil rights or BLM, but TBH really don’t care to know either.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 09-17-2020 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 12:40 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:

Virginia Daffron, managing editor of Mountainx.com reported that little disruption materialized.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Appreciate all the insights. We are traveling next friday, and the kids are very excited. Putting together the itinerary now, I'll report back!
How was your visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina