U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,234 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are looking to relocate from Ft Lauderdale to NC. We have a home in Blowing Rock as we have been visiting for years. We are also considering Charlotte or Raleigh, mainly for the size and available activities for our family. That said, we would love to stay and raise our children in Blowing Rock but are afraid it could be too small in terms of available activities, etc. Our kids are in Kindergarten and first grade. How is the town of Blowing Rock for raising a family? How are the families, the social activities, the school, etc? Are they welcoming? Social? We are zoned for Blowing Rock Elementary. How is that and the high school? Also, we are Jewish….not super religious at all, but don’t want our children to feel like complete outsiders around the holidays if they will be the only Jewish kids in school. Would that be an issue, and are people open minded? I know the neighborhood streets won't be loaded with children, but is there enough of a younger family population for get togethers and having fun?!

We absolutely love Blowing Rock, and would love to make it our permanent home! Weighing that vs. keeping it for vacations and weekend getaways from Charlotte or Raleigh. Any advice would be appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 07:36 PM

9 posts, read 11,116 times
Hi, I don’t know a ton about the schools in Blowing Rock but I have heard that Watauga County schools are pretty good, so I would think the Blowing Rock schools would be good too. I know Watauga County schools usually rank pretty near the top on the NC state test scores when looking at all school districts in NC.

I currently live just north of Raleigh and we have been here about 5 years. I grew up in a town just west of Charlotte so I’m also familiar with that area as well. I have 2 kids and my oldest is in first grade in a Wake County public school. My family and I may be looking to build and move up to some land we own in Ashe County, and we would be about 45 minutes north of Blowing Rock.

The area we live in just north of Raleigh has grown so much since we have been here. There are definitely lots of activities for families and if you like shopping there is plenty of that. We honestly don’t use or really need all that is here for us but the area is good for families. The Wake County schools are good but a very large school district. I think if you pick Raleigh or Charlotte you will have more of a city feel where as Blowing Rock is a quaint mountain town. We were in Blowing Rock this summer, and it’s very pretty. For us, we feel there would be enough activities for us to do with our kids up there. Tons of outdoor things. It really just depends upon what you want. The good thing is I believe it’s maybe less than 2 hour drive from Blowing Rock to Charlotte and about 3 hours to Raleigh. Also, summer temps and humidity much nicer in Blowing Rock but winters colder.

I hope this gave you some help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina