Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,322 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from MD to Western NC within the next year. Both bringing remote, well-paying jobs. Our caveat — he is white and I am black. Now I went to college in Swannanoa over a decade ago, so I’m aware that Asheville itself is very tolerant, but I’ve heard varying info about the smaller surrounding towns. We would like to purchase a decent bit of land which seems to be nigh-impossible in Asheville proper, so we’ve branched out in our search. Since we are planning for kids soon, I want to make sure we don’t buy in an area we won’t be welcome or even worse, unsafe. We’re good neighbors and don’t force our personal politics on others, so I can do conservative, just not intolerant. Is there anywhere I should steer clear of? Looking as far out as Brevard to the west and Boone to the east, so anything in between is fair game.
Any advice or anecdotes welcome — especially from Black and POC residents! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I’d strongly consider the Greenville SC area. Significantly more diversity and much cheaper land.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:05 AM

146 posts, read 139,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzsheep View Post
My husband and I are relocating from MD to Western NC within the next year. Both bringing remote, well-paying jobs. Our caveat — he is white and I am black. Now I went to college in Swannanoa over a decade ago, so I’m aware that Asheville itself is very tolerant, but I’ve heard varying info about the smaller surrounding towns. We would like to purchase a decent bit of land which seems to be nigh-impossible in Asheville proper, so we’ve branched out in our search. Since we are planning for kids soon, I want to make sure we don’t buy in an area we won’t be welcome or even worse, unsafe. We’re good neighbors and don’t force our personal politics on others, so I can do conservative, just not intolerant. Is there anywhere I should steer clear of? Looking as far out as Brevard to the west and Boone to the east, so anything in between is fair game.
Any advice or anecdotes welcome — especially from Black and POC residents! Thank you
As you know, there are smaller African-American populations in the western part of N.C. That being said, interracial families are pretty common in areas of any size. In any of my social circles, no one would have any negative opinion of POC or interracial families. I’m in the Lenoir-Morganton area and have first hand knowledge of that, as well as Buncombe and Henderson counties and in Boone. That being said, since I am not a person of color nor have an interracial family myself, I can give you no real assessment on what they are actually experiencing. Hopefully, those with actual experience will be able to weigh in.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:28 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
No anecdotal evidence as a WM but via much interaction with folks in Brevard and Hendersonville, I would say it's a non-issue. I find Brevard especially quite "enlightened". To the north Banner Elk and Boone are similar (both are college towns like Brevard) but can't speak directly for Blowing Rock, but given it's close proximity to the other two can't think it would be much different.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:19 PM

355 posts, read 225,579 times
"Do you see those hills, Johnny? I wouldn't want to be there."

Old 12-09-2020, 11:21 AM

56 posts, read 55,859 times
My wife and I (me caucasian, her Asian) have been in the Greensboro NC area for about 2 years and haven't had any real issues about being an interracial (hate that word!) couple. We've lived in many areas of the US including southern GA, and though occasionally we've believed we were being treated differently because of our marriage, it's been pretty rare. The reality is you'll always find some people who like to blame all their own shortcomings on others, but they're fairly few, IME.

I'd say get an idea of what town you'd like to move to and then go for it unless you hear some dire warning from someone. Things in the country have advanced a lot in the last several decades. Not perfect by any means, but much better than before. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-10-2020, 08:33 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
If you can stretch your search to the foothills, I would recommend the Hickory area. Hickory is large enough where you see and interact with "interracial" couples. It is no problem. Catawba county has a lot of land for sale and you would be able to have some privacy. Hickory is also 45 minutes from Charlotte and Boone and an hour from Asheville .

Old 12-11-2020, 02:33 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,571,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
If you can stretch your search to the foothills, I would recommend the Hickory area. Hickory is large enough where you see and interact with "interracial" couples. It is no problem. Catawba county has a lot of land for sale and you would be able to have some privacy. Hickory is also 45 minutes from Charlotte and Boone and an hour from Asheville .
I would add about fifteen minutes to each of those.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:07 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
I would add about fifteen minutes to each of those.
Unless you are the lead vehicle during a kidney transplant delivery I'd say you are being gracious ONLY adding 15 minutes.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:53 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
I live in Brevard(born and raised here as well). For a smaller WNC town, Id say it's fairly progressive, or at least moderate. Years and years ago, you might have had someone make a snide remark to you, or stare holes through you, but not anymore. Luckily those antiquated views are a very rare occurrence to encounter. No matter where you go, you'll have some people who might be thinking it, but they wouldnt dare say anything to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina