Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 03:10 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

You're criteria seem better suited to northern West Virginia to be honest.

Asheville and the surrounding area have gotten more crowded, more expensive, and more rat-racy, which has made it less charming over time. With that said, Black Mountain is better than Asheville for your criteria, but it depends on how much you're willing and able to spend on housing. I'd take a close look on something like realtor.com or zillow.com as you can easily see how much housing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 12:13 PM

405 posts, read 317,577 times
I would check out Waynesville. It’s a beautiful town with no traffic and the housing is very affordable. We spent a week there recently, and really enjoyed the quaintness and serenity. I couldn’t live there year round because it’s too isolated for my taste, but it is a terrific place to vacation. You may really like it. It checks all of the boxes for you except for not being close to other urban / interesting areas, unlike where you are in Massachusetts.

Asheville has grown and the traffic has gotten worse over the years, but it’s all relative; compared to larger cities and towns traffic is very mild by comparison. The only issue that I would have is that , like Waynesville, it is a bit too isolated.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:42 PM

132 posts, read 486,828 times
Really appreciate the info guys.
Sad to hear about trash on trails, that's something that I haven't experienced often in Western MA or in VT.
Makes sense to visit during the Spring/Summer to see how crowded it seems.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:01 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think you would like the weather better in the High Country area around Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Beech Mr, etc. it is at a higher elevation so cooler in the summer, more snow in winter.
Agree!

Old 12-30-2020, 02:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
Really appreciate the info guys.
Sad to hear about trash on trails, that's something that I haven't experienced often in Western MA or in VT.
Makes sense to visit during the Spring/Summer to see how crowded it seems.
We hike all the time and I don't see trash on the trails. Not saying there isn't but there are tons of trail here.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:24 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We hike all the time and I don't see trash on the trails. Not saying there isn't but there are tons of trail here.
I agree. We hike as well - haven’t noticed much trash.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:34 AM

132 posts, read 486,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I agree. We hike as well - haven’t noticed much trash.

Quote:

How busy do you find the trails? I'm sure on beautiful weekend days they are busy - that's to be expected, but if we get out on the trails early on weekday mornings are their places where we can find some solitude? I just love having the woods to myself (or at least relatively quiet) whenever I can. Is it less busy as you move out from Asheville?

Old 01-08-2021, 03:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
How busy do you find the trails? I'm sure on beautiful weekend days they are busy - that's to be expected, but if we get out on the trails early on weekday mornings are their places where we can find some solitude? I just love having the woods to myself (or at least relatively quiet) whenever I can. Is it less busy as you move out from Asheville?
To be honest, there are so many trails here, you can find ones that are not too busy. Weekends can be busy at some. Weekday mornings, the traffic is very little, if any. The BRP has so many trails you can stop along the way. Wherever you go, try to take the trails that don't allow bikes. Here's a good website to find trails: https://www.alltrails.com/

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-08-2021, 05:07 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:
To be honest, there are so many trails here, you can find ones that are not too busy. Weekends can be busy at some. Weekday mornings, the traffic is very little, if any. The BRP has so many trails you can stop along the way. Wherever you go, try to take the trails that don't allow bikes. Here's a good website to find trails: https://www.alltrails.com/

Good luck and enjoy!
or horses.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:05 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Many times I see a full parking lot at the trailhead, but after hiking a mile or two almost everyone has disappeared. It is the same in whatever state I visit. It has always been a bit of a mystery to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina