Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 01:49 PM

132 posts, read 486,519 times

Advertisements

My wife and I sold our house in Western MA in February, just before COVID struck, in order to travel across country in our camper.

We have had a great time, despite the pandemic, but we are now ready to settle down again.

We like New England, and have considered living in southern VT, but we are also considering the Asheville area for a variety of reasons, including: 1. Milder winters. 2. Lower cost of living/taxes - property taxes in VT are pretty brutal. 3. Experience somewhere new.

We visited Asheville several years ago and really liked it.

About us: We are about 50, outdoor/nature lovers, enjoy hiking, mountains, and just being outside. No kids, but we do have a 3 year old golden retriever who does basically everything with us. We are able to work from home.

What we are looking for: Small-ish home (maybe 1500-2000) square feet, with a bit of space for our dog and a vegetable garden. Would love at least an acre if possible. Want hiking trails close by - within 15 minutes. Would love some public tennis courts nearby as well. Not looking to be packed in with neighbors. We want to meet people, but neither of us are what you would call “social butterflies” . Would like to be within 15-20 minutes of grocery stores and some restaurants.

Concerns we have about Western NC:

1. ? Too many people - we love to hike on trails where people are few and far between. I am concerned that the area may seem crowded to us; I’m used to quiet, small towns and college towns.

2. Hot, humid summers. For those of you who have lived in New England, how would you compare the summers in Western NC compared with NE? Could we still do some X-country skiing in the winter in Western NC?

3. Local places to travel. To me one of the best aspects of New England is the ability to travel so many different places within about a 3 hr radius: Boston, NY, White mountains of NH, coast of Maine, Rhode Island, Cape Cod and the Islands, etc. Are there interesting places to travel from Asheville?

4. Traffic. I really despise traffic. How bad is the traffic around Asheville?

I think we would want to be slightly outside of Asheville - possibly Black Mountain or Weaverville. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 02:35 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post
My wife and I sold our house in Western MA in February, just before COVID struck, in order to travel across country in our camper.

We have had a great time, despite the pandemic, but we are now ready to settle down again.

We like New England, and have considered living in southern VT, but we are also considering the Asheville area for a variety of reasons, including: 1. Milder winters. 2. Lower cost of living/taxes - property taxes in VT are pretty brutal. 3. Experience somewhere new.

About us: We are about 50, outdoor/nature lovers, enjoy hiking, mountains, and just being outside. No kids, but we do have a 3 year old golden retriever who does basically everything with us. We are able to work from home.

What we are looking for: Small-ish home (maybe 1500-2000) square feet, with a bit of space for our dog and a vegetable garden. Would love at least an acre if possible. Want hiking trails close by - within 15 minutes. Would love some public tennis courts nearby as well. Not looking to be packed in with neighbors. We want to meet people, but neither of us are what you would call “social butterflies” . Would like to be within 15-20 minutes of grocery stores and some restaurants.

1. ? Too many people - we love to hike on trails where people are few and far between. I am concerned that the area may seem crowded to us; I’m used to quiet, small towns and college towns.

Yes, you will find many trails to be too crowded for your taste. With some work, you can find seclusion, but you may find it to be more work than you'd like to do so.

2. Hot, humid summers. For those of you who have lived in New England, how would you compare the summers in Western NC compared with NE? Could we still do some X-country skiing in the winter in Western NC?

Unless you get at least 3,500 feet above sea level (Asheville itself is about 2,200), you will experience uncomfortable dew points in the summer.

3. Local places to travel. To me one of the best aspects of New England is the ability to travel so many different places within about a 3 hr radius: Boston, NY, White mountains of NH, coast of Maine, Rhode Island, Cape Cod and the Islands, etc. Are there interesting places to travel from Asheville?

I guess that depends on your definition of "interesting". Some places within 3-4 hours include Charlotte, Charleston SC and Atlanta GA.

It can be bad, in certain places at peak times (seasonal and daily).

I think we would want to be slightly outside of Asheville - possibly Black Mountain or Weaverville. Any recommendations?

My comments are in red above. Hope that helps some.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:48 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
I agree with much of the above comments.

WNC has been discovered, and can be crowded at times, especially during summers and leaf season.

Humidity is relative. Don’t know enough about the area where you live to compare, but compared to where I lived most of my adult life, the Gulf Coast, humidity is less here.

We love the small mountain towns in WNC, so there’s plenty of places to explore.

Traffic, again relative, but can be pretty bad, especially during leaf season. Winter is actually one of my favorite seasons.

I encourage you to take a close look at Brevard. It is a charming mountain town and conveniently located close to many outdoor activities.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
My comments are in red above. Hope that helps some.
Thanks for your input.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I agree with much of the above comments.

WNC has been discovered, and can be crowded at times, especially during summers and leaf season.

Humidity is relative. Don’t know enough about the area where you live to compare, but compared to where I lived most of my adult life, the Gulf Coast, humidity is less here.

We love the small mountain towns in WNC, so there’s plenty of places to explore.

Traffic, again relative, but can be pretty bad, especially during leaf season. Winter is actually one of my favorite seasons.

I encourage you to take a close look at Brevard. It is a charming mountain town and conveniently located close to many outdoor activities.
Thanks. Will look into Brevard.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:06 PM

Any other input would be appreciated, especially from any former New Englanders - Vermonters in particular!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:05 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think you would like the weather better in the High Country area around Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Beech Mr, etc. it is at a higher elevation so cooler in the summer, more snow in winter.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:47 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I’m in northeast TN, but frequently hike and spend time outdoors in WNC.

Some of the “main” areas, like Craggy Gardens and DuPont State Forest, are going to be super crowded during peak season weekends. I never go to those places on the weekends. Off-season or during the weekdays is fine.

There is some skiing in WNC, but the seasons will be shorter and it will be wimpy skiing compared to New England.

Asheville is much better than the rest of NC during the summer, but you will still have plenty of hot and humid. The High Country, which is more remote, is cooler in the summer.

I spent several years in Indianapolis and no place in WNC has traffic, comparatively.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:54 PM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael49 View Post

Based on your list of what your looking for i would suggest looking at the area from Yancey Co. up thru Ashe Co. I just left Windham Co. VT 18 mths ago. Cost of living and harsh winters primary reasons plus just wanted to return to Southern Appalachians.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:08 PM

902 posts, read 807,172 times
We hike all over the WNC / ETN / SVA region and you will definitely see people on most of the trail systems here, even the not so well known ones nowadays as the area is becoming more and more congested.

The region receives 25+ million visitors annually so yeah, it can get pretty crowded here. Trash has also become an increasing issue on the trail systems and landmarks, which when living here (we’re 35 to 40 min north of AVL in TN) you’ll notice happening more and more when out exploring the area.

We were on a lesser know trail earlier today with our GSD and arrived to two other cars. Took a short hike then came back 90 minutes later and there were now seven cars - and a slew of fresh food and gum wrappers and used face masks on the ground that weren’t there before. Typical of people who simply don’t care about their surroundings, and treat the world and beautiful outdoors as their personal garbage can.

My advice is to visit the area from May to August or in the fall and see how the traffic and congestion look to you. Drive around Asheville, Hendersonville, Black Mountain and surrounding and get a feel for the area. Spend a few weeks doing so and I believe you’ll find it much more congested then what you were envisioning from afar. Good luck.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 12-27-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina