U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 11:46 AM

3,292 posts, read 3,109,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
getatag, we went down to Edgemont and Coffee's Store about 5 yrs ago. A younger couple runs it now, but it's still about the same, a place out of time.
We haven't ventured that way in years, but a relative that lives on that side of Blowing Rock says time stands still down there. You've peaked my interest. I may have to plan a trip down that way once winter clears out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 12:47 PM

11,879 posts, read 13,043,764 times
It is a cool area to visit. I couldn't live down in the holler that way. Too closed in, but it's a cool afternoon trip.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:35 PM

775 posts, read 350,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
We haven't ventured that way in years, but a relative that lives on that side of Blowing Rock says time stands still down there. You've peaked my interest. I may have to plan a trip down that way once winter clears out.
https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/...ak-peek-pique/

Old 01-10-2021, 06:44 PM

3,292 posts, read 3,109,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
I stand corrected for shoddy vocabulary work!

thanks

Old 01-12-2021, 09:45 PM

29,334 posts, read 22,169,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
TBH, when driving around, I don't feel like I see as much of the old style Appalachia poverty to the left and right as I remember as a kid from the 1970s. Not as many permanently parked travel trailers (cheaper than a "single-wide"), or tires placed on roofs to hold down loose shingles, etc. But I suppose it's still there when you get onto the gravel roads.
NC does a better job of keeping that kind of thing less visible than TN or VA do. NC real estate is much higher than Appalachian parts of TN/VA, which kind of explains the first point.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:05 AM

23 posts, read 14,836 times
I am really looking for a property that has some rental cabins on it in addition to the main house. Not many to choose from and that is why i have made posts about towns that are all over the place. I would keep my job since I work remote. just need to be within 7 hour drive to DC in case i have to make the trek and not fly up. I live 6 hours from there now and would drive up every other month for a few days. Good thing I like driving tho not so much once I hit N. VA. I plan to keep my house in Emerald Isle and go back and forth but let my daughter and SIL move to the mountains and run the property. Not looking for anything like the one in Roan where it needed more work than the cost to buy the complex. Not in a rush but keep looking as they are few and far between. There is one in Yadkin area which is before the mountains that looks cool too. Was thinking if I found something with at least one extra cabin but the land to put 1 or 2 more that could work too. Thanks everyone. I love reading all of your posts on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina