Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,333 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to relocate our family (daughters are 5 and almost 7 years old) , we are currently in Central Florida.

Our kids have been attending Montessori school and we are wondering if anyone can give us info about this type of education in the Asheville area? Any input is appreciated.

We are also looking for best areas for families with kids outside the immediate city. We have been told to look around North Asheville, North Buncombe, Weaverville and Fairview. Any of these that are more family friendly?

Any information is greatly appreciated

Last edited by nafagar; 01-07-2021 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 09:28 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,765,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafagar View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are looking to relocate our family (daughters are 5 and almost 7 years old) , we are currently in Central Florida.

Our kids have been attending Montessori school and we are wondering if anyone can give us info about this type of education in the Asheville area? Any input is appreciated.

We are also looking for best areas for families with kids outside the immediate city. We have been told to look around North Asheville, North Buncombe, Weaverville and Fairview. Any of these that are more family friendly?

I’ve seen a number of Montessori schools in and around Asheville. I live in Weaverville and it’s a cool little town. Quiet and close to Asheville. I ride my bicycle into Asheville.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:38 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
You should also consider South Asheville around Biltmore Forest and Arden-Royal Pines which are quite popular for families, and not sure why unmentioned prior.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:01 AM

902 posts, read 810,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafagar View Post
Hello,

Similar story ...

Wife and I (mid 40’s, together 30+ years since middle school) came to Weaverville in 2017 with our three children ages 8, 13 and 15 (at the time, in elem, middle and high school) from the Viera / Melbourne / Cocoa Beach area. We now live 35 min north of the area near Erwin, TN.

Our only regret in coming here is that we wished we would have skipped over Weaverville and Asheville altogether and came directly to TN. We lived in Weaverville then also in Asheville near the Biltmore Estate, and neither were what we had desired for our family, although your experience may differ.

Not sure if you realize this but no-one comes to WNC / Appalachia seeking great schools for their children. Most schools here are just “meh to mediocre” at best, so be prepared for that reality when relocating here. TBH schools in Central FL are far superior, or were at least better in the area that we lived at.

You may be like us though and be deeply involved with your kids educations, but will still have to expect low expectations from the schools here. Weaverville Elem was just ok, but both North Buncombe middle and NB high schools were exceptionally lousy so stay away from them if you can.

Can’t comment on any of the Montessori schools here, but couldn’t imagine them being any better then what’s already here.

Despite this we’ve done pretty well with our childrens schooling, but again we stay very involved. Covid has complicated things even more (lazy teachers = more lazy now) but again it’s not every teacher and involvement with your children is key (even more now).

The tradeoffs to all of this are a bunch though (the outdoors, humble surroundings, COL, true four seasons) so we try to balance it all out for ourselves and our family.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 01-10-2021 at 12:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina