Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 04:13 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,319,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlarrngr View Post
Wouldn't someone thinking of moving to the area find this very useful information?

Anyone moving to the area should do due diligence. What they're going to find is a gem of a city. While it does have some issues, as do all cities, Asheville has so much to offer to residents and tourists alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 04:18 PM

902 posts, read 809,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlarrngr View Post
Wouldn't someone thinking of moving to the area find this very useful information?
It surely would have been to our family, and why I make sure others are well informed with the happenings there now that others here try to sweep under the rug.

Those fluffing up Asheville turn their heads to all of the trash happening there, then will tell you it’s some sort of utopia just to lure others in. Folks would probably have a different opinion of AVL once their pre-teen daughter gets assaulted downtown (like ours was) right in front of us on a family outing, or you bring a business to town and are then ripped off by all of the dead beats there.

We share a side of AVL and BC that others need to know about, and feel like we’ve done a service to many people and families like ours looking into the area. Others will label it as “hating Asheville” and such, but not everyone enjoys hearing the truth either.

There’s a news outlet on FB called Skyline News out of AVL that although right leaning also shows what’s going on in the area with crime and such. I suggest anyone looking into the area to pay it a visit (passing over the political stuff) and see the true crime going on in the area. You’ll be shocked is all that I’ll say.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:25 PM

1,465 posts, read 624,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I'm not trying to attack you. I just don't understand the need to constantly post negative things? What is your point? You have the right to post whatever you want but what are you trying to accomplish? I am curious.
I know if we ever plan to visit Asheville not to stay anywhere near the Days Inn on Tunnel Road. It's easy to find out about the good things an area has to offer, but I want to hear about the areas to avoid.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
I know if we ever plan to visit Asheville not to stay anywhere near the Days Inn on Tunnel Road. It's easy to find out about the good things an area has to offer, but I want to hear about the areas to avoid.
That’s all that we try to do. Others will give you the fluff while we simply want you to be safe and enjoy your visit as we’re family types with children.

Staying at any of the hotels along that stretch now is simply not good advise to give. Our friends found that out real fast, as have we when visiting the area.

Used to love going to Papas & Beer along that stretch but the area can get to looking like a Walking Dead set with all of the stragglers wandering around now. Just doesn’t feel safe there, especially after dark.

Not an area we’d consider staying at now, or suggesting to our friends. YMMV.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
It surely would have been to our family, and why I make sure others are well informed with the happenings there now that others here try to sweep under the rug.

Those fluffing up Asheville turn their heads to all of the trash happening there, then will tell you it’s some sort of utopia just to lure others in. Folks would probably have a different opinion of AVL once their pre-teen daughter gets assaulted downtown (like ours was) right in front of us on a family outing, or you bring a business to town and are then ripped off by all of the dead beats there.

We share a side of AVL and BC that others need to know about, and feel like we’ve done a service to many people and families like ours looking into the area. Others will label it as “hating Asheville” and such, but not everyone enjoys hearing the truth either.

There’s a news outlet on FB called Skyline News out of AVL that although right leaning also shows what’s going on in the area with crime and such. I suggest anyone looking into the area to pay it a visit (passing over the political stuff) and see the true crime going on in the area. You’ll be shocked is all that I’ll say.
We get cheerleaders on the Philadelphia sub-forum who get the same way. Instead of getting mad about the criminals they get mad at the poster and start with the 'you hate the city,' 'you probably don't even live here,' 'troll!,' 'racist!,' etc.

I really think all they're worried about is their property value and protecting certain demographics.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:10 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,319,993 times
Quote:
We get cheerleaders on the Philadelphia sub-forum who get the same way. Instead of getting mad about the criminals they get mad at the poster and start with the 'you hate the city,' 'you probably don't even live here,' 'troll!,' 'racist!,' etc.

I really think all they're worried about is their property value and protecting certain demographics.
I don’t know of any regular posters on this forum who have discussed Asheville in these terms. We’ve all said Asheville is a great place, but not without some issues. Perhaps we should be focusing more on how we can improve things or help those who are in need and less fortunate. Everyone has a different perspective - that’s normal and expected. If someone doesn’t want to live here, then he/she needs to move, provided they can, just as the OP did. Life is too short. It’s naive to think Asheville is going to be a good fit for everyone. Similarly, Erwin or Johnson City, TN (or anywhere else) is not going to be a good fit for everyone. Regardless of the criticism, Asheville remains a great place to live and visit for many people. I don’t think residents have any reason to worry about property values as they have skyrocketed due primarily to the desirability of living there.

Last edited by Lizap; 02-22-2021 at 05:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah, we don’t get it either. They throw up stuff like “hatred of XXXX” but all of their responses are hateful in nature. Don’t get it but don’t need to as they’re adults too and not worth the attention they seek, plus there’s ignore lists for them to reside on. Works great.

Hope your visit to the area goes well and if we can suggest any good places to stay or check out we’d be happy to help! We live about 45 min north of Asheville on the opposite side of the mountains in TN and hike and eat all over the area, so if you need any good suggestions just let us know.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 PM

146 posts, read 139,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I don’t know of any regular posters on this forum who have discussed Asheville in these terms. We’ve all said Asheville is a great place, but not without some issues. Perhaps we should be focusing more on how we can improve things or help those who are in need and less fortunate. Everyone has a different perspective - that’s normal and expected. If someone doesn’t want to live here, then he/she needs to move, provided they can, just as the OP did. Life is too short. It’s naive to think Asheville is going to be a good fit for everyone. Similarly, Erwin or Johnson City, TN (or anywhere else) is not going to be a good fit for everyone. Regardless of the criticism, Asheville remains a great place to live and visit for many people. I don’t think residents have any reason to worry about property values as they have skyrocketed due primarily to the desirability of living there.
Yes, it will be a good fit for some and not a good fit for others. There’s certainly no one trying to ‘trick’ anyone into moving to the area as there are already plenty of people choosing to do that on their own. I can’t imagine wanting to live in the little TN towns across the mountains, but it is a great fit for some. I think some people think Asheville will be a quaint mountain town and don’t realize that it is a metro area with all the same issues that a similarly populated area elsewhere would have. I certainly don’t understand working in and visiting a place frequently, but also being so dramatic about how terrible it is.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:33 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,475,421 times
“Yet another homeless shelter?”
So now we’re going to bash a non profit for trying to help the most vulnerable of our population!? But also... Where the hell are you even getting these ridiculous quotes?

First off this is housing for homeless, not a shelter. Those of us who actually want better for our population think this is a great idea. Give people a safe place to sleep and shower. Let them get on their feet, find jobs, earn training to get better jobs. All while not being worried about freezing to death!

Actual info for those interested: https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...ss/4375269001/

Old 02-22-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
Yeah, we don’t get it either. They throw up stuff like “hatred of XXXX” but all of their responses are hateful in nature. Don’t get it but don’t need to as they’re adults too and not worth the attention they seek, plus there’s ignore lists for them to reside on. Works great.

Hope your visit to the area goes well and if we can suggest any good places to stay or check out we’d be happy to help! We live about 45 min north of Asheville on the opposite side of the mountains in TN and hike and eat all over the area, so if you need any good suggestions just let us know.
Years ago my uncle had a place in Newport, Tennessee and we used to go to a huge flea market in Asheville. We never went into the town center itself. I do remember some beautiful mountain homes, though.
This was well before the town's growth.

How is Newport doing these days? I remember going into town and there were three bars in close proximity to one another with some 'interesting' characters hanging around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina