Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 09:13 AM

66 posts, read 58,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
A lot people have to live within an hour of an international airport. CLT has more flights and more direct flights than anywhere in the region. I know more than a few people who live just north or west of Hickory because they need to be close to CLT but want to be as close to the mountains as possible and would never want to live in Charlotte. It is a very easy and direct route to the airport from the Hickory area.

I was thinking the same thing. Based on Debbie's original post, somewhere between Hickory and Morganton would seem to put them within a reasonable distance from both the airport and Asheville, close to the mountains as well as between Lake Norman and Lake James.

If not for grandkids in the mountains, we might have considered that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 04:14 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
It surely does, with a lot of the same attitudes and mindsets showing up there now.

When folks move down to Florida a certain “entitlement” sets in, a sorta “I moved down to Florida so put me up on a pedestal” mindset. It’s really very odd, but also very well documented too.

Maybe it’s from never have lived outside of their hometown possibly? A sorta “cockiness” from finally doing something outside of their comfort zone? Not sure but yes, the south side of AVL feels 100% that way with the north side feeling a little more authentic (but quickly catching up).
How odd that the same group of people with the same mindset have independently and collectively all decided to move to South Ashevillel! It's almost as if there's a beacon there, calling them from afar, or perhaps it's a scant few natives not known for a welcoming nature spinning their version of "reality". I would think most have figured this out by now..

Old 03-09-2021, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 18,156 times
Thanks everyone. Just got an update. They would like to west of Asheville-within 1 hr. drive. (not sure why they picked west) Any town recommendations in that area?

Old 03-09-2021, 03:56 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,625,569 times
Within an 'hour' drive, west of Asheville, is a big area with several towns...
That hour almost gets one to Bryson City, under low traffic situ.

Other towns & areas, going west of Asheville on I-40 for example: Candler, Canton, Clyde, Iron Duff, Crabtree, Fines Creek, Maggie Valley, Waynesville, Balsam, Sylva, et al.

We have lived in one of those towns for the past two decades, on a high elevation ridge, thriving downtown 'below us, etc, but I am not going to pitch it. Any, all the towns/areas I listed and others, offer lots of the things & close proximity to outdoor activities that your people are looking for, imo.

Their price point is doable, even with the near monthly price escalation on 'good houses' in western NC.

A lot of ground and areas and towns to cover; they will need some trips and serious time looking around to buy a house, in our experience. Web looks are fine, as are web RE sites using filters. But nothing beats driving around for several days, over several trips.
GL, mD

https://goo.gl/maps/YpSeiDAk59T2eY7Q9

Last edited by motordavid; 03-09-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 06:28 AM

20 posts, read 18,156 times
Thanks MotorDavid! They are coming for a visit in May so we will look into all those mentioned towns.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:30 AM

6,634 posts, read 4,321,803 times
Given their desire to be near an airport and outdoor activities, and provided they are willing to be southwest, my top choice would be Brevard. It is a really neat town and growing. Anywhere due west of Asheville is going to mean they will have to go through/near Asheville to get to AVL which could add considerable time to get there depending on the time of the day and the work on the interstate. If they want to get to CLT or GSP, it will also take longer.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 AM

66 posts, read 58,781 times
It looks like MD pretty much laid out the options to the west. We lived in Sylva for 6 months and liked it and it was ~ a 50 minute drive to Patton Ave on the west side of Asheville. It would be a little over an hour to the airport and for now sometimes a bit longer due to current road construction. Anything close to Canton will challenge the olfactory nerves.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:42 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,625,569 times
+ Another on SW of AVL...
As the OP mentioned 'west', I didn't get into the SW angle, but lots of good towns/areas that slightly different direction also.

The task for anyone moving to the areas around Asheville is that there are several towns/around town areas that check many boxes, and offer elevations from ~1500/1800 to 6,000 ft plus. Add in the literally hundreds of houses in most 'reasonable' price ranges, and anyone looking has a lot of looking to do, imo.
GL, mD

Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
I'd suggest north of Asheville if they are willing. Depends on what they are looking for, but both Boone and Asheville are about 2 hrs from the Charlotte airport. If you start going west or southwest you are going to increase that distance to the big airport. There are just small towns between Asheville and Boone, but if that is okay there are a few to choose from. Boone, itself, could be good, but would be a bit far from you in Asheville.

Old 03-11-2021, 02:35 PM

6,634 posts, read 4,321,803 times
We live slightly southwest of Hendersonville, on the Brevard side. it takes us about an hour and 45 minutes to get to CLT, 20 minutes to AVL, and 55 minutes to get to GSP. We are less than 2 hours from 3 airports. We have found some great fares from GSP, and it is a very nice airport. The other thing to remember is you are about 3 and a half hours from ATL if you need a direct international flight that isn’t offered at CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina