Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 07:03 PM

52 posts, read 104,682 times

Advertisements

Okay, so maybe this is purely anecdotal, but why do so many newly constructed homes lack fireplaces? Are there local building regulations that are in place to reduce particulate pollution? It is purely cost savings? Or is it a millennial preference for homes without them?

I would understand if we were talking about homes in the deep south or other areas lacking winter's chill, but the mountains do have a stretch of winter weather that makes a fire nice for ambience if not as an efficient means of heat.

Have others observed this trend as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 07:27 PM

425 posts, read 418,893 times
I think many homebuyers today would rather see the builder's cost for a chimney be placed into some other amenity that will be used more often.

I'd be OK with a functional gas log. But I have no interest in splitting wood, bringing insects into the house, sweeping up loose bark.

My dad built a woodstove for my family's 1970-era house, and it would heat about half the house decently. But even my cheapskate dad eventually agreed that it only saved about $3 a day versus using the central heat. He views it as an emergency use appliance now.

He also broke his ankle and had a couple of surgeries along with a slow recovery, when he slipped on ice while going outside to fetch wood. That more than negated whatever savings he accrued over the years of using that old-fashioned heat.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:41 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japan-virginia View Post
...why do so many newly constructed homes lack fireplaces?
expensive inefficient indulgent.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:56 PM

52 posts, read 104,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I think many homebuyers today would rather see the builder's cost for a chimney be placed into some other amenity that will be used more often.
Fair enough, I think your answer is probably reflective of how many feel. Certainly market forces would dictate whether they are included or not.

It is still hard for me to imagine a significant segment would not want to enjoy a fire on a cold night, thermodynamic effectiveness aside.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:57 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
Love a wood-burning fireplace, but just not very practical for many retirees. We have a gas fireplace, and this is fine at this stage of our lives.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:35 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
I think home insurance rates are a bit higher with a wood burning fireplace.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:39 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
We love a wood burning fireplace on a screened covered deck.
We love a 40,000 BTU direct vent, gas feed, thermostat controlled insert in the house.
Good riddance to the old smelly, cumbersome, inefficient wood burning fireplace it now occupies.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:30 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Just a few theories, along with others that have been mentioned:

1. Increase in allergy rates and small particles from fireplace smoke irritate these.
2. People being concerned with burning wood not being environmentally friendly. Take this with a grain of salt when someone makes this decision from a 4,000 SF home that only they and their wife live in but still....
3. Homeowners associations may not allow this because someone would complain about smoke from an adjoining home coming into their area, particularly if homes are packed together.
4. People tend to be bigger worriers in general now, and are concerned about what could go wrong and cause a fire hazard.
5. As others have mentioned, it's a bit of a hassle to obtain, chop/saw, and store firewood properly.

Sometimes, for fun, I like to look at real estate listings in other states to see what houses look like and what they cost. It makes me laugh when I see a fireplace being advertised as a feature in coastal Southern California.

Last edited by Jowel; 03-05-2021 at 05:56 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 05:53 AM

902 posts, read 807,969 times
We have one converted wood burning fireplace (taking the chimney down) and have added a second gas burner. Doing a remodel and adding a third to our MB with an outdoor wood burner / pizza oven on our screened in deck.

We also use a Solo Stove Yukon for campfires out on the deck, which are fun on a nice evening with friends and family. Zero smoke after it starts up. For us, that is all that’s needed to get our “fix” of a wood fire, plus it’s great for burning off junk mail and sensitive documents.

Used to love an indoor wood fireplace but TBH the allure of it wears off over time, kinda like having a pool does. Would we spend $10k+ to add one to a new build? Probably not, although we would add one to an outdoor “entertainment style” area, but that’s just our preference.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 03-05-2021 at 06:16 AM..

Old 03-05-2021, 01:14 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Wood stove in our Mtn home...
20 yrs ago it was 'fun' and less rigorous to do the tree dropping, bucking, splitting, hauling in, etc.

These older days/nights it is for ambiance, serious room warming and a nice cozy look, though not something we fire up frequently.

Some of our friends still have remarkable stacked stone fireplaces, seldom used, some with gas inserts.

No expert, but the older style fireplace/chimney set up was not the most efficient, requires a serious footing, are expensive and it takes an expert to build a decent one, imo.
GL, mD

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina