Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 07:48 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,527,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Root & Vine in Morganton, and the Smoked Ham Shank. You're welcome!

http://rootandvinerestaurant.com/wp-...inner1120F.pdf
Definitely Root & Vine!

If you like fine craft, check out Hamilton Williams Gallery (and studio) on the edge on downtown Morganton. He's an exceptional potter, and his gallery carries work from other area artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 12:32 PM

92 posts, read 74,758 times
Conservatives in wnc pretty much live and let live. I would be more concerned about the anti-police rioters who reared their heads in Asheville, Raleigh and other places last summer spray painting businesses, breaking windows and trying to physically remove monuments. Red areas are notoriously peaceful.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:02 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billj6 View Post
Conservatives in wnc pretty much live and let live. I would be more concerned about the anti-police rioters who reared their heads in Asheville, Raleigh and other places last summer spray painting businesses, breaking windows and trying to physically remove monuments. Red areas are notoriously peaceful.
Drink that Kool-Aid dude. The only real rioting was after they were egged on by police or by people posing as peaceful protestors...ie. Minneapolis. Not to mention the DC insurrectionists on 1/6 from those "peaceful red areas". https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapol...-angels-police

Old 05-30-2021, 08:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
Drink that Kool-Aid dude. The only real rioting was after they were egged on by police or by people posing as peaceful protestors...ie. Minneapolis. Not to mention the DC insurrectionists on 1/6 from those "peaceful red areas". https://www.foxnews.com/us/minneapol...-angels-police
Wow.

You have the sequence of events out of order there.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:19 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,671 times
Quote:
Downtown Morganton is transforming and attracting artists/creative class individuals opening new businesses and has a touch of an Asheville feel minus the extreme left politics.
I think it's hilarious that people think Asheville is "extreme left". The vast majority of people here are blue dog democrats who voted for Joe Biden, a far-right conservative in any other Western nation. Sure, there's a lot of political posturing and virtue signaling and lip service to progressive left issues, but by global standards, these people are centrist/conservative . . . which I suppose goes to show you how rabidly conservative, dare I say reactionary, America has become.

In France, when the government tries to impose a gas tax that will negatively impact the working class, there are riots and angry workers hit the streets to send the message loud and clear that they aren't going to tolerate such nonsense. In Asheville, a few people will gather around the Vance monument holding signs. Putting a "Black Lives Matter" sign in your yard is not "extreme left politics", it's virtue signaling.

Morganton/Hickory is hard core conservative country, so I guess in comparison, Asheville would seem "extreme left".

Old 06-08-2021, 03:58 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
I think it's hilarious that people think Asheville is "extreme left". The vast majority of people here are blue dog democrats who voted for Joe Biden, a far-right conservative in any other Western nation. Sure, there's a lot of political posturing and virtue signaling and lip service to progressive left issues, but by global standards, these people are centrist/conservative . . . which I suppose goes to show you how rabidly conservative, dare I say reactionary, America has become.

In France, when the government tries to impose a gas tax that will negatively impact the working class, there are riots and angry workers hit the streets to send the message loud and clear that they aren't going to tolerate such nonsense. In Asheville, a few people will gather around the Vance monument holding signs. Putting a "Black Lives Matter" sign in your yard is not "extreme left politics", it's virtue signaling.

Morganton/Hickory is hard core conservative country, so I guess in comparison, Asheville would seem "extreme left".
Finally, someone with critical thought capability. Thank you!!!

Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 PM

92 posts, read 74,758 times
[quote=tylerSC;61117665]At least you didn't inherit Madison Cawthorn. Politics aside, he is an arrogant, unqualified hothead. Too young, inexperienced college dropout, and unwilling to negotiate for the common good. A far right wing Trumpster who vows to "fight the libs." Rather than work across the aisle to seek a common sense solution for the good of the country. While I can support some of the conservative principles espouse by Trump, such as small government, strong defense, secure the border, and protect the 2nd Amendment, I will admit his means and methods were wrong. And his inflammatory rhetoric was childish and divisive, serving as a contributing factor to the insurrection at the Capitol on January 6th. I respect Liz Cheney and it was wrong the way they forced her out due to the influence of Trump. But I am more moderate than my typical neighbors here in Upstate SC, although I used to live in Charlotte and Concord.

Madison Cawthorn is a fresh, young outsider who brings badly needed energy to the House and we're lucky to have him in the 11th CD. His opponent, Moe Davis bragged about stepping on Republicans' necks until they snapped. The reserve colonel touted his service but was a paper pushing lawyer at Guantanamo and is a nasty partisan liberal. Anyway, people are friendly in WNC and you won't notice political leanings unless you go out of your way to ask folks.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
[quote=billj6

Madison Cawthorn is a fresh, young outsider who brings badly needed energy to the House and we're lucky to have him in the 11th CD. His opponent, Moe Davis bragged about stepping on Republicans' necks until they snapped. The reserve colonel touted his service but was a paper pushing lawyer at Guantanamo and is a nasty partisan liberal. Anyway, people are friendly in WNC and you won't notice political leanings unless you go out of your way to ask folks.[/QUOTE]

Fresh is the perfect description of Cawthorn, but I doubt that I mean it like you used it. It brought to my mind what my grandmothers meant 50 years ago. Rude and ill mannered as well as disrespectful to older people.

No one can tell someone's political leaning? I never ask people and while most reciprocate, I find the further right they are, the more they want to advertise that.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-09-2021 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-12-2021, 09:28 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,552,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billj6 View Post
Conservatives in wnc pretty much live and let live.
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:52 AM

146 posts, read 139,500 times
I live in the middle of these 3 areas. There are a lot of transplants here from other states and the area continues to grow. Overall, the entire area is more conservative politically but there are plenty of people of all political persuasions. I don’t think you would have trouble finding like-minded people to socialize with if you know where to look.

Lenoir is the most affordable but, in my opinion, offers the least. It does have quick access to Blowing Rock/Boone for a day in the High Country. Also look in Hudson.

Morganton is a great, quickly growing town with a thriving downtown and nice access to Lake James, Linville Gorge, Asheville area. Lots of new development and investment in downtown. Also look in Valdese.

Hickory is the largest and has the most to offer as far as shopping, restaurants, healthcare, etc. A lot has been happening in the downtown with the construction of the Citywalk and the Riverwalk and new apartment complexes and the revamping of the downtown square. Lots of boating options on Lake Hickory and Lake Rhodhiss. Easy access to Charlotte and Asheville as well as the mountains. Also look in Newton, Conover, Bethlehem, and Granite Falls (which is fairly central to all three areas of interest.)
Lenoir and Morganton feel more mountain-like and Hickory more Piedmont.

The entire area is very tight in the housing market right now. Inventory is low and competition is high. There are still great properties to be found and within a more affordable price range than many other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina