Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,335,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I like living in Asheville. I've been here almost four years now. It's the perfect size to me and has almost everything I need or want. I really enjoy how there is always something going on and also plenty places to hike. Downtown is always bustling and there are street performers, restaurants, breweries, shopping, the drum circle, etc. It's great for people watching You never know what you might see out of the ordinary. There is lots of live music and festivals all over with all different genres. We have West Asheville, where I live and it's another neat part of town. We have a decent amount of restaurants, breweries and bars to enjoy. We have a farmer's market on Tuesday evenings. I forgot to mention, there's New Belgium too by the Riverwalk. The people here are friendly and all different ages. Btw, I am about to hit the big 50 People in the community really care for one another and help one another out. I've never lived someplace like Asheville and I dig the vibe. It's a laid back atmosphere and it's come as you go and people don't judge you. I know some people will knock it but truth is, no place is perfect. It has four seasons but the only one that I am not a fan of is winter. It's nothing like up north but I just don't like cold weather period. I know people may mention the homeless people here but honestly they don't bother me. So, there you have it. I hope this helps.

I am not sure where to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. I do know there are some sports bars around that do broadcast sports but strangely sports aren't that big of a deal here. I want to say to try Westville Pub, Wild Wings, Hickory Tavern, Packs Tavern or the Bier Garden. The Dugout in Hendersonville. You'd just have to call or ask around.

Enjoy your trip and please come back and give us an update
This is a great description of Asheville!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 08:44 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,425,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
How do you guys like living in Asheville? I only visited very briefly back in 2014 (but when I go) VERY VERY soon, what do you think are the biggest changes I will notice?

Also, any sports bars downtown, particularly good for watching hockey/Stanley Cup Playoffs? Particularly a rooftop that has screens, so as to kill like 3 birds with one stone. Also, sorry if any of you guys on here are Hurricanes fans (it seems feasible as they are the state NHL/"local" team). Had a great year, and will probably be a force to be reckoned with and on the way up for a while. The Lightning finally have pedigree and know what winning in the playoffs looks like and how tough you have to be and what you have to give up to get there.... took us 6-7 years of playoff Ls like that though.

Thanks beckycat!
12 Bones sounds like a WINNER, RAD in general will be neat to check out one of our days in town. Didn't realize there was a Riverwalk there, so thanks for that tip too.

Thanks for the note on Zia's and Rocky's too!

Catawba Falls does look like a manageable day trip.

I'd be open to stopping by Sylva. I've passed through several times in the past as my family from there is in Highlands, but never really explored much. My favorite brewery almost anywhere is Lazy Hiker, and I see they added a Sylva taproom. May have to try that along with Haywood Smokehouse, which I enjoy, and then summitting the courthouse steps, which I haven't done, but it looks beautiful, and a nice way to burn at least a few calories before or after. I just don't know how much time we'll have that day and how tired we'll be, I'm pretty much banking on that being a primarily family day, and anything else we can see to or from would be gravy.

Montford is a perfect destination for us as we can leave out from our downtown hotel to that, and it looks like even going as far as the Homewood Castle up there in the neighborhood is no more than a 1 hour roundtrip loop from our spot.

Thanks!
I don't live there, but my girlfriend lives near Asheville, and I'm probably spending about a third of my time there now. I've been weekending there for years.

I love it. Tons of great outdoors options, great dining, great nightlife. The summer climate is a bit better than much of the rest of the South.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:00 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,700,720 times
I like living in Asheville. I've been here almost four years now. It's the perfect size to me and has almost everything I need or want. I really enjoy how there is always something going on and also plenty places to hike. Downtown is always bustling and there are street performers, restaurants, breweries, shopping, the drum circle, etc. It's great for people watching You never know what you might see out of the ordinary. There is lots of live music and festivals all over with all different genres. We have West Asheville, where I live and it's another neat part of town. We have a decent amount of restaurants, breweries and bars to enjoy. We have a farmer's market on Tuesday evenings. I forgot to mention, there's New Belgium too by the Riverwalk. The people here are friendly and all different ages. Btw, I am about to hit the big 50 People in the community really care for one another and help one another out. I've never lived someplace like Asheville and I dig the vibe. It's a laid back atmosphere and it's come as you go and people don't judge you. I know some people will knock it but truth is, no place is perfect. It has four seasons but the only one that I am not a fan of is winter. It's nothing like up north but I just don't like cold weather period. I know people may mention the homeless people here but honestly they don't bother me. So, there you have it. I hope this helps.
---
This was a really, really nice description of Asheville. I had a much more favorable impression, on this decently more lengthy visit. Two things really stood out to me: 1) I didn't realize just how close Asheville is to the higher mountains. Because it is sorta in a valley, you don't always get a sense for view lines everywhere. But like, you can be to Craven Gap in like 15 minutes and have a true mountain experience. Exceptional in that regard. 2) Liveliness, combined with compactness. Couldn't believe just how active and fun the scene in downtown got in the evenings. I think there are cities decently larger that would absolutely love to have a downtown that active but can't figure out how to do so, largely because the existing built environment isn't laid out for it as it is in Asheville (so much commercial architecture, etc. preserved). A lot more infill, even in core areas such as around the Grove Arcade and Flatiron, many new places to try. At the same time, it's crazy that you can drive 5 minutes thru the Beaucatcher Tunnel, and be out in suburbia, at a nice Ingles Market right there that I had to hit a couple times, as well as a Wal Mart/Target, and the Asheville Mall within a few minutes of that.. and well, 10 minutes past that, you were in out in exurbs/driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway. It makes the city approachable, and like, to do that sorta thing in many cities, you would have to do double, or triple the distance to get comparable experience of that transition (urban->suburban->exurban/natural)

Re: Sports/Hockey. I ended up just giving both Lightning games a miss. Honestly, my ”hall pass” night, where I was even really able to get out for a couple hours to explore was Wednesday, but doing so was difficult, and I felt selfish leaving my wife in for any longer than needed beyond that, and besides, in our hotel room, it would've been impossible to watch and not also wake our infant daughter, which would've landed me in the dog house big time LOL. Not so big of a deal since they weren't decisive games anyways, and I'm a more casual Lightning fan since I've adopted them in adulthood (not like my following of the Buckeyes, lol). They won both games, so that was great, and what was interesting was the one day I did where I Lightning shirt, five separate people commented ”Go Bolts”. A lot of Floridians in town visiting, apparently ; ). That makes sense on the sports account. Not sure if it's a chicken or an egg thing, but the closest FBS team I believe is Clemson and they are over 90 minutes, and Charlotte is two hours, so UNC-Asheville BBall, and the Tourists are really the only ”tickets in town”, which wouldn't necessarily inspire a ton of group fervor.

Glad to hear both of your accounts! It seems like a place that people that live there take a lot of pride in. That is awesome to see in our all too cynical modern world, and probably contributes a lot to a city of 90,000 having the tourism numbers it does.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:18 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,700,720 times
So, overall trip log. I like doing these for my memory/edification sake, but also to hopefully help others and give shout outs to small businesses we enjoyed during visit

Day 1: This was, as mentioned, really just a travel day. Our flight, which we originally scheduled to correspond with our daughter's bedtime, was delayed by two hours (ugh.), and after getting in, we really just went straight to the hotel. After that, I went back out to purchase several needs from both Wal Mart, and from Ingles before turning in. I enjoyed driving thru the Beaucatcher Tunnel for the first of several times (urban tunnels are cool esp.)

Day 2:
-Breakfast at Abeja's House Cafe. Really underrated Latin fusion spot near Biltmore Forest. Amazing Huevos Rancheros!!
-Did a short walk at the WNC Farmers Market. Got some produce and some honey.
-Went to West Asheville and walked around. Wanted to try West End Bakery or Dobra Tea, both were closed. Did take a brief look in the small grocery there (La Tienda-my wife is half Puerto Rican, and we both enjoy hitting various Latin food spots when traveling)
-While wife/daughter went to Target/took a nap, I did a nice free 2 hour walking tour of downtown. Nice variety of unique stops on the tour, and cool architecture/history/stories! I did tip $15, which seems a decent value for what I got.
-After that, we went to go meet our friends that live in Flat Rock, at Sierra Nevada Brewery. They really do have an impressive campus, almost like an estate winery, but for beer (or beer Disneyland). Had a flight and lunch, and even though we didn't take a tour, between catching up, etc. we were there 3 hours.
-Walking around Asheville Outlets (just sorta a low key way to pass time and wind out the day)
-Mellow Mushroom for dinner (their patio is super nice, would like to stay longer/sit out there next time)

Day 3:
-Coffee (very good IMO) from Old Europe, followed by beignets from Bebettes (also very good). So nice to be able to start out and walk to both.
-From there, I got the car, and we drove up into the mountains. Made it to Mount Mitchell a little before 11, and we were lucky to have nice (if slightly cool, which is normal I'm sure), temps, and just absolutely incredible views of the entire range surrounding it. Spent a little time in the gift shop, and then drove back down to Craggy Gardens. Wife/daughter stayed at bottom, and I managed to make it work my way up (not the simplest hike or one to take a young kid on, even though it's short) to the top of Craggy Pinnacle and then back down in about 25-30 minutes (not a ton of rhododendrons blooming there at the moment, but the hike was super awesome). This morning/early afternoon was definitely a trip highlight.
-Got back into Asheville and hit a couple of errands
-Lunch at Chai Pani (not amazing, but solid Indian food option), with Kilwin's for dessert.
-Trip to the Asheville Mall.
-This was my "night out". After it seemed like our daughter was somewhat settled, I walked from our place (about a mile away) over to McCormick Field, and watched about 2 full innings of the Tourists game. I thought it was neat that there were several tributes to fictional hero Crash Davis (Bull Durham), and also didn't know that my earliest favorite baseball player (Eddie Murray, from when he played with the Indians when I was a 4 y/o in 1995) also started there. I thought it was cool how the concourse was almost sorta built into the mountain/rock wall a bit, and I also walked up Mountainside Park for a free view of the playing field with other views in background. I also didn't know it was the 3rd oldest park of all 119 active MiLB stadiums (Bradenton, which is 20 mins from where I live now, is 2nd, BTW). It was, compared to what I am used to at stadiums in the Low A Southeast/Florida State League (dead, with maybe less than 500 people at most games I've gone to) perhaps the most engaged crowd I've seen at a minor league game. People actually paying attention and reacting to what was happening on the field, much of the stands (at least 2/3rds) filled, and various traditions noticeable. Perhaps because there are so few sports present in Asheville, people really embrace the Tourists here.
-Anyway, after I left the game (our daughter was having trouble getting to sleep, and I wanted to bring back dinner, so I really had a very brief visit to the park), I walked through the South Slope Brewing District (need to check it out next time I'm in town), and several notable churches, I made it to the S&W Market. Really a cool space with a nice ambiance, a big win for Asheville to use it for that purpose. I got a chicken sandwich from Buxton (tbh, not sure it's best in the US, but it was good), and a Gaelic Ale from Highland (they did pair well with one another, though I maybe would've maybe picked a different sauce or something, hindsight being 20/20), and also brought back/tried a bite of the Bao Bun from Bun Intended.

Day 4:
-We have wife's family that lives in Franklin/Highlands area, and she has been going there since she was very little, so we had to do a daytrip (much of the day) out that way, and introduce our daughter. I can highly recommend, and speak a lot more to that part of the mountains, as over the last few years, I've probably spent several weeks or so in the Franklin/Highlands vicinity.
-Made a brief stop (I enjoy touristing random things) in Lake Junaluska, past the World Methodist Council HQ and grabbed a coffee and looked at the gift shop there. The lake looks gorgeous for paddling/jogging around, like glass almost.
-Hung out around family's house (cabin has been in family for years, and is set back in the woods with a nice stream, which we dipped our daughters legs in, and for catching fireflies/salamanders.
-Went to a favorite local lunch spot, the Cupboard Cafe. Nice little gift shop to check out beforehand. Small town feel.
-Let our 11 month old daughter try gem/ruby mining for the first time at Cowee Mountain Ruby Mine. She may have been way too young for it honestly, but she loved playing in the water/mud, and we got cute pictures and that's all that matters.
-Got paletas from Juanito's, a place just outside of Downtown Franklin, that also has an attached yummy Mexican restaurant, and a full grocery store/panaderia attached as well. Hung out another hour or so at the cabin before departing back for Asheville (long full day, but good to see family.
-Once back in Asheville, I went to get us tacos from the Downtown location of White Duck. I was told the carryout order wouldn't be ready for quite a while, so I used the time to watch the sunset from Hemingway's Cuba with another local beer there. Gorgeous city and mountain views there. We had mixed reviews on the tacos we had from there, though I would definitely do the Bangkok Shrimp one again. Walked down Lexington Ave. to get back to hotel, wish I spent more time on this street as it appears during daytime, it has a unique, independent vibe to it.

Day 5: We didn't have the full day this time, and of course, part of it was spent packing, and of course, traveling back to FL.
-Started out morning by walking over to Old Europe, and getting coffee, again.
-Met a friend that drove into town to visit us from Charlotte at Bruegger's Bagels, then walked around Biltmore Village (very picturesque and historic-Biltmore Estate is at top of my list next time I'm here, I plan on dedicating 4-5 hrs. to seeing various parts of the grounds/estate, making a full day of it really).
-Went over to NC Arboretum. Did I think the basic nature loop that was like 1.5 miles (nice, simple walking into the woods), and saw the visitor center and part of the formal gardens area.)
-Grabbed lunch at Biscuit Head next to Biltmore Park Town Square. Delicious, and would definitely do again. Unique flavors, and loved all the jellies that were available to try and use.

And now, back! It wasn't that long of a trip. But, it was SO GREAT to get back out again, anywhere really. But, being in Asheville itself was perfect, as it gave us a really awesome blend of city and nature that we wouldn't find in many places, while also seeing family and friends, doing a test trial on travel with a baby (learned a fair number of things I could fill up a column with), and eating really good food. Thanks again for your expertise, and till next time! Fortunately, not that much in the way of post vacation blues for me. Have a few weeks now to really work on my doctoral dissertation, and then its off to Salt Lake City/Yellowstone/Grand Teton, our longer summer sojourn. That one, I'm sure will have a different feel to it, with not just staying in one location, and also traveling with my parents and meeting various other family members. Wish us luck, lol!

Thanks All!

Old 06-19-2021, 04:17 AM

51,660 posts, read 25,904,681 times
Hoie Donuts.

Handmade, yeast donuts, fried and glazed. The bourbon glazed are to die for.

Looks like you can order online now. Juneberry and basil is today's special flavor.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:24 AM

Thanks All![/quote]

Cavsfan, thanks for the great trip report! Asheville is a jewel, for sure. Love the area you’re going out west in a few weeks, but love this area more..

Last edited by Lizap; 06-19-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 06-19-2021, 10:05 AM

6,383 posts, read 4,231,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

I am not sure where to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. I do know there are some sports bars around that do broadcast sports but strangely sports aren't that big of a deal here. I want to say to try Westville Pub, Wild Wings, Hickory Tavern, Packs Tavern or the Bier Garden. The Dugout in Hendersonville. You'd just have to call or ask around.

Enjoy your trip and please come back and give us an update
Great post❗️

The only negative that we’ve found pretty early on is that the real estate prices are off the charts but other than that, the main drags do get congested with traffic and you need to bring a job along with you when moving here but otherwise, it’s a great place to live.

Old 06-19-2021, 03:08 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,089,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Great post❗️

The only negative that we’ve found pretty early on is that the real estate prices are off the charts but other than that, the main drags do get congested with traffic and you need to bring a job along with you when moving here but otherwise, it’s a great place to live.
I always wonder what charts people are dealing with when talking Asheville home prices, I live in Central Florida which is considered a bargain by many comparatively speaking and find Asheville prices similar. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...49,11&qdm=true

Old 06-19-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I always wonder what charts people are dealing with when talking Asheville home prices, I live in Central Florida which is considered a bargain by many comparatively speaking and find Asheville prices similar. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...49,11&qdm=true
This^. Home prices are relative. Compared to those in many parts of the northeast and western U.S., prices in the Asheville area are downright cheap. Relative to those in some other parts of the U.S. (such as parts of TX and east TN), they are higher.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:01 AM

12,632 posts, read 32,117,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Great post❗️

I agree. Yes, the market has exploded recently. Homes that were going for $225K are now going for $300K+. It's crazy all over. It is important to bring a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina