Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 11:38 AM

5,029 posts, read 5,702,053 times

Advertisements

First flight since Pre-COVID, and with baby. A little nervous about how she will travel, but overall, psyched! Staying at north end of Downtown for about four days next week. Rough plan is as follows:

Day 1: Hit up WNC Farmers Market and a Breakfast Spot, possibly somewhere in West Asheville
Take 10 AM walking tour (2 hour guided free/gratuity requested): https://www.exploreasheville.com/lis...g-tours/13939/ (See Here)
In the afternoon, go down and meet some friends at Sierra Nevada for lunch and a drink or two.
After that, possibly go to another nearby hike, or waterfall (Jumping Off Rock, Looking Glass Falls, etc., or maybe walking around Main Street in Hendersonville (our friends are in Flat Rock, so those places are sorta midway.

Day 2: Go to see family in Franklin. No other specific plans for this day, but since I like collecting cities/neighborhoods and getting to know the area's architecture, etc., we may hit up Waynesville Downtown or Lake Junaluska for a brief bit to and from (we already know the Franklin/Macon County area EXTREMELY well, but this is our first time staying in Asheville), as well as maybe hitting up another area of Asheville for food either leaving town or coming back (Grove Park Inn, River Arts District, etc.)

Day 3: Hit up some Asheville sights in the morning, exploring more of downtown, neighborhoods, etc. After our daughter's nap, driving out on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and going to Mount Mitchell and Craggy Pinnacle. Stopping at the Blue Ridge Parkway NPS Visitor Center on the way back into town. This night, I may end up going and checking a few innings Asheville Tourists game/their park, plus a rooftop at sunset (perhaps Grove Park Inn)

Day 4: Our flight this day is at almost 3 pm. We obviously aren't going to do anything too crazy since it's our last day, but maybe just some more eating and exploring more of the core (maybe taking a family walk over to Montford, checking out Biltmore Village area if we hadn't already, or an art gallery or museum or architectural site we missed from earlier in the trip that we still wanted to see.

FWIW, there is a Day 1 before these, but we arrive and would be to hotel about 7 PM, so for all intents and purposes, that day is moot.

Anyways, just wanted to share that I am looking forward to the trip and ask a few questions:
1-Any other particularly unique quirks, tours, etc that we should know about? We are traveling during the week, so we will miss drum circle, the shindig on the green, etc.
2-Food recommendations (any and all)-particularly, those that are budget conscious and potentially have significant outdoor seating?
3-Safety-are there any areas of town we should exercise caution in? For instance, is it safe to walk between Downtown and the Brewery District or Art District?

Thanks so much! I am realistic, and know we might not be able to get to every single thing on this list, but, my goal is just to get somewhat of a general idea, and enjoy the area. If we get to see family and friends, get on at least one hike (even a short one), take that walking tour of downtown and maybe see at least one other neighborhood, and try a couple pretty good restaurants, to me, that will have been a trip well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 11:44 AM

I see Asheville is getting a new food hall opening next week too (S&W Market), which is pretty awesome, and looks to be inside a historic space. I like food halls particularly that have adaptive reuse of a historic structure, because you can usually find things to eat quick and not too expensive, and everyone can find something they are craving, even if people want different things.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:37 AM

Okay, I guess one more specific question. Best rooftop viewpoint downtown? I was thinking based on research, it has to be either the Pillar, or the Capella on 9. Also, best natural view point that is actually somewhat publicly accessible? Kinda in the Town Mountain area I am assuming, though I am not sure how visitor friendly any of those view points are, and I do not particularly want to trespass. The view from above the ballpark looks quite nice actually, though I am not sure if I would access that from the stands, or, from outside the stadium at like Mountainside Park. In any case, when I go to the ballpark, I want to see that view too, for sure.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:54 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
For Day 1 breakfast, I'd personally recommend Biscuithead if in West Asheville. Yes, it's touristy, but worth it if you've never been. I just checked the Sierra Nevada website, and tours are currently unavailable. I'd call before going. NC has been slow to reopen.

I would avoid the most touristy waterfall spots on the weekends in Henderson and Transylvania counties. I might go downtown for dinner, but good food can be found throughout the city.

Mount Mitchell and Craggy Gardens is going to make for a long day if you plan to do much hiking or outdoor activity. On the weekends, both are congested with tourists. I've been to both numerous times and hiked both - MM has some great trails, but I like Craggy better for hiking. I've done both in a day and it's exhausting. You may want to do MM and just drive up to the summit area.

The visitor center area has a gift shop and restrooms, and some small trails nearby. I wouldn't make it a point to stop there unless you just want a souvenir.

I am not a particular fan of McCormick Field. The sun tends to set behind the stadium fairly early in the evening, it kind of looks into the hillside, etc. It's fun, but there are better ballparks out there in that size range.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
For Day 1 breakfast, I'd personally recommend Biscuithead if in West Asheville. Yes, it's touristy, but worth it if you've never been. I just checked the Sierra Nevada website, and tours are currently unavailable. I'd call before going. NC has been slow to reopen.

I would avoid the most touristy waterfall spots on the weekends in Henderson and Transylvania counties. I might go downtown for dinner, but good food can be found throughout the city.

Mount Mitchell and Craggy Gardens is going to make for a long day if you plan to do much hiking or outdoor activity. On the weekends, both are congested with tourists. I've been to both numerous times and hiked both - MM has some great trails, but I like Craggy better for hiking. I've done both in a day and it's exhausting. You may want to do MM and just drive up to the summit area.

The visitor center area has a gift shop and restrooms, and some small trails nearby. I wouldn't make it a point to stop there unless you just want a souvenir.

I am not a particular fan of McCormick Field. The sun tends to set behind the stadium fairly early in the evening, it kind of looks into the hillside, etc. It's fun, but there are better ballparks out there in that size range.
Thanks for responding back with specific suggestions!

1. Biscuit Head sounds good then ✅ I must say, I do find it odd that so few breakfast spots in Asheville open before 8 AM though. Is there a particular reason for that?
2. So, we are meeting at Sierra because our Flat Rock friends suggested that. They got us a lunch reservation I think just to get drinks/food (part of it almost functions like a restaurant, I guess?) I’m sure the tours are awesome, but I can do without. I’ve heard they have outdoor seating for the food, which may be nice.
3. I am hoping to get us to Chai Pani, too. Any particularly good vendors at the WNC Farmers Market? Hoping to get Buxton Hall Chicken from S&W, if lines aren’t too long. FWIW, we will effectively be in Asheville Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, then Friday up till about 1.
4. With that said, crowds for waterfalls, etc, prob won’t be as bad as they would be on weekends.. but then again it is summer still. Part of what I liked about Looking Glass Rock, is that it appears there is minimal distance from parking to falls itself. So long as we may be able to find SOME parking during the week, crowds aren’t the end of the world. That said, I’m open to quieter places this direction too.
5. My thoughts with Craggy and Mitchell were relatively modest. It looks like the parking lot trail from Mount Mitchell is only about a quarter mile to the summit, whilst the rhododendron tunnel trail up to craggy summit is about 1.4 miles round trip? My thought was to do just the parking lot up at Mitchell, and do at least part of the Pinnacle Trail. Those are the only places I was realistically considering trying to fit in (have some thought to Mount Craig, as that, Mount Mitchell, and Craggy only add up to about 3.7 miles of hiking... then again... traveling with a baby. Lol. I’m hopeful, based on you mentioning weekend also, that it is at least somewhat better for our weekdays. I’m glad I booked those dates then.
6. I’m a NPS/history NERD and love learning more about how things developed. I guess they have like a 20 foot diorama of the trail or something and like a 20 minute movie, and my wife collects the patches. Based on your feedback, I won’t consider it a must then, but something I wouldn’t mind doing if I had an hour or so to spare, since it could be done any day of our trip, due to it being 10 mins from downtown or so.
7. Noted also. Obviously if I can’t make it it isn’t the end of the world, but as a sports guy in general, catching a few innings in the house Crash Davis built (lol), esp, on the night that there are 3$ craft beers, sounds like a pretty good time if the wife is willing to let me slip out for an hour after our daughters bedtime one of the nights.

In any case, I thank you for your feedback

Old 06-12-2021, 03:52 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thanks for responding back with specific suggestions!

1. Biscuit Head sounds good then ✅ I must say, I do find it odd that so few breakfast spots in Asheville open before 8 AM though. Is there a particular reason for that?
2. So, we are meeting at Sierra because our Flat Rock friends suggested that. They got us a lunch reservation I think just to get drinks/food (part of it almost functions like a restaurant, I guess?) I’m sure the tours are awesome, but I can do without. I’ve heard they have outdoor seating for the food, which may be nice.
3. I am hoping to get us to Chai Pani, too. Any particularly good vendors at the WNC Farmers Market? Hoping to get Buxton Hall Chicken from S&W, if lines aren’t too long. FWIW, we will effectively be in Asheville Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday, then Friday up till about 1.
4. With that said, crowds for waterfalls, etc, prob won’t be as bad as they would be on weekends.. but then again it is summer still. Part of what I liked about Looking Glass Rock, is that it appears there is minimal distance from parking to falls itself. So long as we may be able to find SOME parking during the week, crowds aren’t the end of the world. That said, I’m open to quieter places this direction too.
5. My thoughts with Craggy and Mitchell were relatively modest. It looks like the parking lot trail from Mount Mitchell is only about a quarter mile to the summit, whilst the rhododendron tunnel trail up to craggy summit is about 1.4 miles round trip? My thought was to do just the parking lot up at Mitchell, and do at least part of the Pinnacle Trail. Those are the only places I was realistically considering trying to fit in (have some thought to Mount Craig, as that, Mount Mitchell, and Craggy only add up to about 3.7 miles of hiking... then again... traveling with a baby. Lol. I’m hopeful, based on you mentioning weekend also, that it is at least somewhat better for our weekdays. I’m glad I booked those dates then.
6. I’m a NPS/history NERD and love learning more about how things developed. I guess they have like a 20 foot diorama of the trail or something and like a 20 minute movie, and my wife collects the patches. Based on your feedback, I won’t consider it a must then, but something I wouldn’t mind doing if I had an hour or so to spare, since it could be done any day of our trip, due to it being 10 mins from downtown or so.
7. Noted also. Obviously if I can’t make it it isn’t the end of the world, but as a sports guy in general, catching a few innings in the house Crash Davis built (lol), esp, on the night that there are 3$ craft beers, sounds like a pretty good time if the wife is willing to let me slip out for an hour after our daughters bedtime one of the nights.

In any case, I thank you for your feedback
1. No real idea. Best guess is that Asheville is more service/tourist oriented, rather than geared toward the early morning corporate commuters.

2. It looks like Sierra has reopened, but is reservation only for the moment. Keep in mind they reopened 5/12, but Facebook hasn't been updated - it may be more flexible.

3. The indoor part of the market has mostly the same vendors all the time. Of these, Coates Produce has been my favorite. You'll get a greater variety of vendors in the outdoor space at the bottom of the hill.

4. If you're doing this during the week, I'd actually check out the various waterfalls in the Dupont State Forest. I went there once last year on a Saturday morning and the lot was full at 10 AM. I doubt it's an issue during the week.

5. The parking lot area near the summit of Mount Mitchell to the actual observation point at the top is a few hundred yards. I would at least hike the Balsam Nature Trail near the summit. You'll get all the "northern alpine forest" sights and smells.

The main rhododendron trail at Craggy is probably about that long. It's probably been two years since I've been on it.

I wouldn't do the Mt. Craig portion with a baby.

6. The little nature shop is pretty small. I can't imagine needing an hour to check it out. There's a gift shop and maybe some of the exhibits are back now.

7. Parking at McCormick field is kind of inconvenient. Tickets are around $12, so not a huge loss if you can't stay for the full game. I parked at an out of business nightclub down the hill from Wild Wing Cafe a couple weeks ago without issue.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
1. No real idea. Best guess is that Asheville is more service/tourist oriented, rather than geared toward the early morning corporate commuters.

2. It looks like Sierra has reopened, but is reservation only for the moment. Keep in mind they reopened 5/12, but Facebook hasn't been updated - it may be more flexible.

3. The indoor part of the market has mostly the same vendors all the time. Of these, Coates Produce has been my favorite. You'll get a greater variety of vendors in the outdoor space at the bottom of the hill.

4. If you're doing this during the week, I'd actually check out the various waterfalls in the Dupont State Forest. I went there once last year on a Saturday morning and the lot was full at 10 AM. I doubt it's an issue during the week.

5. The parking lot area near the summit of Mount Mitchell to the actual observation point at the top is a few hundred yards. I would at least hike the Balsam Nature Trail near the summit. You'll get all the "northern alpine forest" sights and smells.

The main rhododendron trail at Craggy is probably about that long. It's probably been two years since I've been on it.

I wouldn't do the Mt. Craig portion with a baby.

6. The little nature shop is pretty small. I can't imagine needing an hour to check it out. There's a gift shop and maybe some of the exhibits are back now.

7. Parking at McCormick field is kind of inconvenient. Tickets are around $12, so not a huge loss if you can't stay for the full game. I parked at an out of business nightclub down the hill from Wild Wing Cafe a couple weeks ago without issue.
Thank you, thank you! Just responding to certain points:

1. Makes sense. Asheville is smaller than most cities that would be considered "touristy", so that fits.

4. Dupont State Forest: I'm thinking this is what you mean (https://www.romanticasheville.com/du...terfalls_trail). I was initially deterred from this by the 3 mile distance length-though it appears that Hooker Falls is basically roadside, and that High Falls and Triple Falls are no more than a half mile each way from the parking lot, so manageable. I guess too, the same kind of thought I had when initially somewhat considering Mount Craig was that if some in our party didn't want to do the whole route, we could turn back, switch off and have someone wait in car (or visitor center) with baby while the other does the hike, etc. This one does look pretty awesome, I have to say.

5. That looks easy enough to do, and I appreciate that suggestion as it probably adds something to see just how different the vegetation, etc. looks compared to down at the bottom of the mountains in Asheville, and esp. compared to where I am coming from in Florida. It is neat how up there, it is a microclimate almost similar to the Upper Northeast/Canada.

6. You're probably right-I think the biggest thing there from a time length perspective would be the movie (20 minutes), and the rest of the exhibits/diorama may only take like 10 minutes so maybe even a half hour would be adequate-I just usually try to overestimate how long things will take, that's all.

7. Looks like for Tuesday night's game, free with a vaccine card record! The price would be right for that then. Where we are staying (north end of downtown) Google says is about a 21 minute, 1 mile walk (it would be just me). It appears sunset isn't till almost 9, and I'll have likely left game by then anyways, but, is that a relatively safe walk to make? Almost all of it is along Broadway St/Biltmore Ave, it appears (Asheville streets seem to have a knack for randomly changing over-Broadway is particularly quirky in that regard). I had given thought to grabbing a quick pint or flight from Funkatorium or Wicked Weed before or after anyways (if I wasn't getting drinks at the stadium lol). I suppose I could always take a quick and relatively inexpensive Uber back, if it were late, or sketchy.

Old 06-13-2021, 08:17 AM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times
Check out the Rivers Arts District. Walk around by 12 Bones and The Wedge to look at all the art on the buildings. There is shopping there as well. Then grab something to eat at 12 Bones and grab a beer at The Wedge. There is a food truck and Rosa Bee's as well. The Riverwalk just recently opened and you can take a stroll along the river. While Duck Taco is on the river for a bite to eat and a beer too. They have lots of outdoor seating on the river. Carrier Park is right by there for the little one, depending on age. Zia's, in West Asheville, has a large area for outdoor seating. They have taco Tuesdays. I also like Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack in West Asheville. Catawba Falls is another nice place to visit. If you are visiting Waynesville, you might want to stop by Sylva too. I'd definitely make it to walk around Montford. The architecture of the homes is cool.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-14-2021, 11:38 AM

How do you guys like living in Asheville? I only visited very briefly back in 2014 (but when I go) VERY VERY soon, what do you think are the biggest changes I will notice?

Also, any sports bars downtown, particularly good for watching hockey/Stanley Cup Playoffs? Particularly a rooftop that has screens, so as to kill like 3 birds with one stone. Also, sorry if any of you guys on here are Hurricanes fans (it seems feasible as they are the state NHL/"local" team). Had a great year, and will probably be a force to be reckoned with and on the way up for a while. The Lightning finally have pedigree and know what winning in the playoffs looks like and how tough you have to be and what you have to give up to get there.... took us 6-7 years of playoff Ls like that though.

Thanks beckycat!
12 Bones sounds like a WINNER, RAD in general will be neat to check out one of our days in town. Didn't realize there was a Riverwalk there, so thanks for that tip too.

Thanks for the note on Zia's and Rocky's too!

Catawba Falls does look like a manageable day trip.

I'd be open to stopping by Sylva. I've passed through several times in the past as my family from there is in Highlands, but never really explored much. My favorite brewery almost anywhere is Lazy Hiker, and I see they added a Sylva taproom. May have to try that along with Haywood Smokehouse, which I enjoy, and then summitting the courthouse steps, which I haven't done, but it looks beautiful, and a nice way to burn at least a few calories before or after. I just don't know how much time we'll have that day and how tired we'll be, I'm pretty much banking on that being a primarily family day, and anything else we can see to or from would be gravy.

Montford is a perfect destination for us as we can leave out from our downtown hotel to that, and it looks like even going as far as the Homewood Castle up there in the neighborhood is no more than a 1 hour roundtrip loop from our spot.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2021, 05:08 PM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
How do you guys like living in Asheville? I only visited very briefly back in 2014 (but when I go) VERY VERY soon, what do you think are the biggest changes I will notice?

Also, any sports bars downtown, particularly good for watching hockey/Stanley Cup Playoffs? Particularly a rooftop that has screens, so as to kill like 3 birds with one stone. Also, sorry if any of you guys on here are Hurricanes fans (it seems feasible as they are the state NHL/"local" team). Had a great year, and will probably be a force to be reckoned with and on the way up for a while. The Lightning finally have pedigree and know what winning in the playoffs looks like and how tough you have to be and what you have to give up to get there.... took us 6-7 years of playoff Ls like that though.

Thanks beckycat!
12 Bones sounds like a WINNER, RAD in general will be neat to check out one of our days in town. Didn't realize there was a Riverwalk there, so thanks for that tip too.

Thanks for the note on Zia's and Rocky's too!

Catawba Falls does look like a manageable day trip.

I'd be open to stopping by Sylva. I've passed through several times in the past as my family from there is in Highlands, but never really explored much. My favorite brewery almost anywhere is Lazy Hiker, and I see they added a Sylva taproom. May have to try that along with Haywood Smokehouse, which I enjoy, and then summitting the courthouse steps, which I haven't done, but it looks beautiful, and a nice way to burn at least a few calories before or after. I just don't know how much time we'll have that day and how tired we'll be, I'm pretty much banking on that being a primarily family day, and anything else we can see to or from would be gravy.

Montford is a perfect destination for us as we can leave out from our downtown hotel to that, and it looks like even going as far as the Homewood Castle up there in the neighborhood is no more than a 1 hour roundtrip loop from our spot.

Thanks!
I like living in Asheville. I've been here almost four years now. It's the perfect size to me and has almost everything I need or want. I really enjoy how there is always something going on and also plenty places to hike. Downtown is always bustling and there are street performers, restaurants, breweries, shopping, the drum circle, etc. It's great for people watching You never know what you might see out of the ordinary. There is lots of live music and festivals all over with all different genres. We have West Asheville, where I live and it's another neat part of town. We have a decent amount of restaurants, breweries and bars to enjoy. We have a farmer's market on Tuesday evenings. I forgot to mention, there's New Belgium too by the Riverwalk. The people here are friendly and all different ages. Btw, I am about to hit the big 50 People in the community really care for one another and help one another out. I've never lived someplace like Asheville and I dig the vibe. It's a laid back atmosphere and it's come as you go and people don't judge you. I know some people will knock it but truth is, no place is perfect. It has four seasons but the only one that I am not a fan of is winter. It's nothing like up north but I just don't like cold weather period. I know people may mention the homeless people here but honestly they don't bother me. So, there you have it. I hope this helps.

I am not sure where to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. I do know there are some sports bars around that do broadcast sports but strangely sports aren't that big of a deal here. I want to say to try Westville Pub, Wild Wings, Hickory Tavern, Packs Tavern or the Bier Garden. The Dugout in Hendersonville. You'd just have to call or ask around.

Enjoy your trip and please come back and give us an update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina