Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 07:33 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
What are your favorite restaurants in Hendersonville for lunch?
Depends on the type of food you want. We have many good restaurants. italian: Mezzaluna; German: Haus Heidelberg; Small plates: Never Blue; Sandwiches: Mountain Deli; Mexican: Sol Y Luna; healthy bowls: Zen Hen; Thai: Boon Choo. All of these are in downtown except for the last three. Sol Y Luna is in Laurel Park, Zen Hen is near downtown , and Boon Choo is in Flat Rock near the interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 04:19 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Depends on the type of food you want. We have many good restaurants. italian: Mezzaluna; German: Haus Heidelberg; Small plates: Never Blue; Sandwiches: Mountain Deli; Mexican: Sol Y Luna; healthy bowls: Zen Hen; Thai: Boon Choo. All of these are in downtown except for the last three. Sol Y Luna is in Laurel Park, Zen Hen is near downtown , and Boon Choo is in Flat Rock near the interstate.
I would like a place that is close to downtown with outdoor seating and lots of charm. Something with a variety of food choices. How about Seasons at Highlands Lake for lunch?
Any advice on art galleries or gift shops?

Last edited by organic_donna; 09-12-2021 at 04:42 AM..

Old 09-12-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Definitely Burnsville as there are many shops, galleries and some nice little places for lunch in a compact area. Toe River Arts at 102 W Main Street is a must-see as is Something Special (huge gift shop) at 12 W Main Street, Mountain Time on Main at 105 W Main Street and the Magnolia Wren at 127 W Main Street. For lunch check out the Cast Iron Kitchen (109 W Main Steet) which was recently opened by a young couple serving up some great modern Southern-style food. They're open just Thursday through Monday however.
Kyle19125,
Thank you for your recommendations. I think I can make the drive to Pentland first and then back to Burnsville for lunch and shopping. Are these directions accurate?
From Asheville:
Take US 19/23 (future I-26) North past Mars Hill, then take exit 9 to stay on US 19 towards Burnsville. This road will turn into US 19E (DO NOT take US 19W). Go through Burnsville and continue approximately 10 miles. At the bottom of a long hill, there will be a green Penland School sign on the left. Turn left onto Penland Road. Follow Penland Road for 3 miles, when you will cross a bridge and railroad tracks. One mile past the railroad tracks, bear left at the big curve onto Conley Ridge Road (there is a large, steel Penland School sign here). Go all the way up the hill.
Donna

Old 09-12-2021, 05:57 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Kyle19125,
Thank you for your recommendations. I think I can make the drive to Pentland first and then back to Burnsville for lunch and shopping. Are these directions accurate?
From Asheville:
Take US 19/23 (future I-26) North past Mars Hill, then take exit 9 to stay on US 19 towards Burnsville. This road will turn into US 19E (DO NOT take US 19W). Go through Burnsville and continue approximately 10 miles. At the bottom of a long hill, there will be a green Penland School sign on the left. Turn left onto Penland Road. Follow Penland Road for 3 miles, when you will cross a bridge and railroad tracks. One mile past the railroad tracks, bear left at the big curve onto Conley Ridge Road (there is a large, steel Penland School sign here). Go all the way up the hill.
Donna
That's accurate and a wise decision in my opinion because they're pretty close to one another, and would hate for you to miss Penland while so close. Enjoy and hope to hear how it went!

Old 09-12-2021, 08:28 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
I would like a place that is close to downtown with outdoor seating and lots of charm. Something with a variety of food choices. How about Seasons at Highlands Lake for lunch?
Any advice on art galleries or gift shops?
I was going to mention Seasons at Highlands Lake. We’ve been for brunch and lunch. They used to have a brunch buffet, not sure if they still do. A lot of people love it. The buffet is expensive and it was just ok to us. Lunch was also just ok; maybe it was what we ordered. We’re going to try it again. Many of the restaurants here have outdoor seating. Also want to mention Umi on Main St. for Japanese. They have outdoor seating and very good. I love Silver Fox Gallery on Main Street. They have all kinds of stuff.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I was going to mention Seasons at Highlands Lake. We’ve been for brunch and lunch. They used to have a brunch buffet, not sure if they still do. A lot of people love it. The buffet is expensive and it was just ok to us. Lunch was also just ok; maybe it was what we ordered. We’re going to try it again. Many of the restaurants here have outdoor seating. Also want to mention Umi on Main St. for Japanese. They have outdoor seating and very good. I love Silver Fox Gallery on Main Street. They have all kinds of stuff.
Thank you,
I love Japanese food. I am looking forward to our visit.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:06 AM

41 posts, read 105,272 times
Quote:
What are your favorite restaurants in Hendersonville for lunch?
Dandelion Restaurant. The tomato pie is my favorite, but everything is yummy. And the reason the restaurant exists supports a community need.

I also like Boon Choo Thai on Upward Road in Flat Rock. It's not fancy, but the food is tasty and has been our go-to takeout site during the pandemic.

Flat Rock (next door to Hendersonville) also has Flat Rock Bakery (with a nice store for some idle shopping) and Hubba Hubba right next door. Both have outdoor seating.

https://www.safelightfamily.org/dandelion.htm

https://www.boonchoothai.com/

https://www.villagebakerync.com/

https://hubbahubbasmokehouse.squarespace.com/

Last edited by CarrieLeigh; 09-16-2021 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: added more suggestions

Old 09-16-2021, 01:13 PM

47 posts, read 56,737 times
Quote:
Kyle19125,
From Asheville:
Donna
I know this won't meet your 1 hour requirement but if it was me, I'd take the blue ridge parkway as far as hwy 226 outside of Spruce Pine. Take your time and enjoy the natural beauty. To me that's one of my favorite sections of the parkway. You could stop in at the Museum of Natural Minerals then head on up to Penland.

Old 09-21-2021, 03:45 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I haven’t been however I’m hearing that Morgantown is seeing a renaissance.
Forget about the art galleries, go to Root & Vine in Morganton and order anything on the menu. Such good food. Best shrimp and grits I have ever eaten in my life.

Just checked, Alas, only open for dinner a few days week at the moment.

Keep it in mind for the next trip.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:27 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Forget about the art galleries, go to Root & Vine in Morganton and order anything on the menu. Such good food. Best shrimp and grits I have ever eaten in my life.

Just checked, Alas, only open for dinner a few days week at the moment.

Keep it in mind for the next trip.
People rarely drive to a town just for dinner unless it's some kind of Michelin-star experience. It takes a village so to speak of businesses to make a downtown vibrant, and luckily Morganton is seeing that occur with its roster of options. Hendersonville and Brevard have parlayed that variety into a thriving downtown at night, Morganton will too as we move back to a post-pandemic normal. Towns like Black Mountain and Burnsville still haven't managed to attract establishments to draw significant dinner business, which is sad because the rest is there ready otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina