Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2022, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Reputation: 19270

Advertisements

I booked a small 2/2 place in Brevard for August '23, & wanted to do a 2nd month in July or September in another Western NC city/town (of ~ = or > pop'n than Brevard) that has cooler temps.

Are the regions Summer temps consistent, or are some cities/towns cooler than others?

I don't want to be on a remote mountain top...prefer <1 mile walk/bike into the town/city center.

I chose Brevard because they appear to have a nice main street w/ several restaurants, & a nice large "dedicated" (not shared tennis courts like Lake Lure's) pickleball complex...I play daily. Monthly rental prices <$7k/mo in Brevard were ez to find, that were walk to town.

Any ideas for cooler temps than Brevard I should look at? I realize most here wont know about the pickleball stuff, so I'll start w/ cooler temps & town/city size, then I'll research the PB myself.

I found Connesstee Falls, & Lake Lure, online, but have ruled them out.

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2022, 11:59 AM
 
Location: High Country
17 posts, read 14,218 times
Reputation: 49
Cooler temps will come with higher elevations. I live in the town of Beech Mountain which has REALLY nice temps during July and Sept, when even the low 80's are unusually warm. The tippy-top has elevation 5506' and the main part of town with the restaurants is a little lower, probably around 5k, then more things like rental houses and recreation proceeding down. Good monthly climate summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_...North_Carolina

Pickleball. I do not play but I believe this happens in two main places in town. One is at the private Beech Mountain Club... your rental would probably have to provide you with membership to use the club. There is also the Buckeye Rec Center, which is a REALLY nice town-run facility. It is still in town but lower on the mountain. Anyone can use the Rec Center for very affordable rates.

The club and the rec center are pretty far apart from each other for walking so you'd want to take that into account when looking for a rental. You could probably get a rental within walking/biking distance to either one.

The very center of town is near the top of the mountain and is semi-walkable to Fred's General Mercantile and a few restaurants. I think you'd still need a car to get around town such as between your rental and the restaurants. Banner Elk with *many* nice restaurants is a short drive down the hill (10 min from the main part of town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2022, 12:44 PM
 
6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Reputation: 7076
To get the coolest temps. in the region, you need to look northeast of Asheville at higher elevations. With that said, one of our regular posters on this forum lives above Waynesville at 4800 ft. and has cool summers there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Reputation: 19270
Thx for the info! I'll be looking into Beech Mountain/Banner Elk, & the PB places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechmtnps View Post
Cooler temps will come with higher elevations. I live in the town of Beech Mountain which has REALLY nice temps during July and Sept, when even the low 80's are unusually warm. The tippy-top has elevation 5506' and the main part of town with the restaurants is a little lower, probably around 5k, then more things like rental houses and recreation proceeding down. Good monthly climate summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beech_...North_Carolina

Pickleball. I do not play but I believe this happens in two main places in town. One is at the private Beech Mountain Club... your rental would probably have to provide you with membership to use the club. There is also the Buckeye Rec Center, which is a REALLY nice town-run facility. It is still in town but lower on the mountain. Anyone can use the Rec Center for very affordable rates.

The club and the rec center are pretty far apart from each other for walking so you'd want to take that into account when looking for a rental. You could probably get a rental within walking/biking distance to either one.

The very center of town is near the top of the mountain and is semi-walkable to Fred's General Mercantile and a few restaurants. I think you'd still need a car to get around town such as between your rental and the restaurants. Banner Elk with *many* nice restaurants is a short drive down the hill (10 min from the main part of town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 05:51 AM
 
Location: Free State of Florida
25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Reputation: 19270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
To get the coolest temps. in the region, you need to look northeast of Asheville at higher elevations. With that said, one of our regular posters on this forum lives above Waynesville at 4800 ft. and has cool summers there as well.
Thx, I'll ck out Waynesville too...I heard of it, so it must be larger than Brevard in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 08:54 AM
 
6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Reputation: 7076
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Thx, I'll ck out Waynesville too...I heard of it, so it must be larger than Brevard in population.
It’s a little larger than Brevard, has a cute downtown, and higher peaks closer to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 01:33 PM
 
Location: TN/NC
35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Reputation: 47514
Waynesville is right on the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. The town isn't fancy, but the downtown is nice, and it's a quick shot on I-40 to most anywhere else you want to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Reputation: 11237
Blowing Rock, Boone, Banner Elk, Beech Mountain — all the B towns!

Highlands, Cashiers.

You want to be above 3000 feet in elevation. The base elevation in the High Country around Watauga County, Ashe County (not Asheville), etc is 3000 feet. Boone is 3333 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Mtns of Waynesville,NC & Nokomis, FL
4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
Reputation: 6533
Beach,
Like anywhere /every thing on the planet, stuff is a compromise...

Temp is almost all about elevation, and in the town(s) you mentioned and in most town areas of western NC, the elevation is in the 2,000 ft level, excepting the above mentioned Beech Mtn, Banner Elk, et al.

Your posted req's for easy access, bike/walk to town, shopping, PB, etc, if rigid & firm, precludes most opinions on higher elevation towns, with the exception of the previously mentioned 'B Towns'...

I live at ~ 4,800 ft + 'above' the town of Waynesville, where our high temp this summer has touched 79 degs, although our daily rains have kept RH high. Down the mtn, in town at ~ 2,000 ft, the town has hit mid to high 80s much of the summer.

I recognize you from the Sarasota/Venice board, so my 50 Cts is:

-You are acclimated to warmer temps from SW FL Summers, and most town areas in western NC seldom get to the 90s.

-Nighttime temps even in the less elevation town areas are seldom as oppressive as SW FL in Summer, thus most areas 'start' less hot.

-For the proximity you prefer, town center/walk or bike able/PB court/stuff to do, towns like Brevard, H'ville, et al are probably your best choices.

-Lake Lure are would not be my pick: way too low in elevation and v remote.

-July can be and usually is the hottest month in western NC, and you may find you are trading SW FL for just slightly 'less hot' low elevation Western NC town areas.

-Whichever town area you rent in, easy car access to higher elevations for sight seeing, etc and much cooler temps in August/Sept.

I have lived here in the mentioned Waynesville since Sept 2001, though we have an Escape Winter house in SW FL, where we spend ~ 5 months.

Waynesville is a good, thriving, well run town, with many restaurants, shops, et al. I don't play PB but there are a couple/three rec center type facilities with PB, Fwiw.

No idea on rentals 'close/bike-able' to town; like most good areas of the US, prices have shot up like a rocket, both buying and rentals inc AirB&B types.

Not pitching Waynesville...we have gone from sleepy to packed in two decades.

Close to towns vs higher elevation = warmer temps from April through September.

GL on your search.
mD

Typical sunrise view from our Mtn house deck, ~ 4,800 ft elevation. Waynesville 'below', under the valley fog...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2022, 08:35 PM
 
6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
Reputation: 7076
MD, absolutely gorgeous photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top