Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 16,050 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been living in Asheville for 11 months now. I moved here with my husband, after hearing amazing things about Asheville. 11 months in and I don't love it. I'd rather move somewhere else as soon as possible.
I'm wondering, am I the only one?

Here are the reasons why I don't like Asheville:

- The weather: This probably surprises some of you, as Asheville is always being mentioned as having the best weather in the US. IMO, the weather is less nice and mild as people say, but I know that's very objective. Spring and summer were nice that's true, but it also rains a lot, and the weather between November and March is, for a big part, gray, rainy, and cold. I love warmer and sunnier weather.

- The lack of open space and parks: Asheville feels cramped in a lot of places. There is pretty much no real parks - French Broad River Park and Carrier Park aren't real parks, they're small green spaces right next to the river. For a city that's surrounded by beautiful nature, Asheville has very little green space. I miss having a park or a beach or a lake close by where I can go and hang out after work. That culture doesn't seem to exist in Asheville (even in the so-called parks there is no one on a picnic blanket or just hanging out).

- Highways: The way the highways are constructed in and around Asheville is very strange to me. I feel like everywhere you go in Asheville, there is a highway so close you can literally hear it. Highways also isolate many neighborhoods and make it difficult to 'just go for a bike ride or walk' anywhere.

- Lack of bodies of water: Of course I didn't expect to have a beach close by, but the river is too dirty to swim in, and there aren't many lakes around. The closest lake is almost an hour away.

- Housing market: Last but not least, the hosuing market. I knew it wouldn't be cheap to find housing here, but prices are outrageous, even compared to big cities like Austin Tx or Tampa Fl.

- Lack of direct flights: Just a handful of direct flights to mostly East Coast places. Going to most places is expensive and requires 1-2 layovers. Zero international flights,

Sure, Asheville has the blue ridge mountains and they're beautiful in the warmer months, I've done some great hikes there. Breweries are really nice, too. But those two things aren't worth it for me.

Any opinions on Asheville? Anything to add?

Last edited by oceanrainbow; 02-22-2023 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 09:12 AM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
I enjoy visiting Asheville like I do Denver or the mountains in Virginia, but not to live. I'm a coastal boy so that's where I'll always reside. And when I think of vacation or relaxation, it's usually somewhere tropical. However, I do enjoy hiking and experiencing nature in open green space, but I usually have to go off the beaten path to get there. Opinions on a location are just that, totally subjective. It sounds like you'd be better suited somewhere that offers a more temperate climate, perhaps somewhere along the coast? Have you thought about coastal NC, SC, or GA? There are going to be tradeoffs everywhere you look. The best thing to do is figure out what is MOST important to you and your husband and what you might be willing to sacrifice in a different location.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:19 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanrainbow View Post
Hi,

I've been living in Asheville for 11 months now. I moved here with my husband, after hearing amazing things about Asheville. 11 months in and I don't love it. I'd rather move somewhere else as soon as possible.
I'm wondering, am I the only one?

Here are the reasons why I don't like Asheville:

- The weather: This probably surprises some of you, as Asheville is always being mentioned as having the best weather in the US. IMO, the weather is less nice and mild as people say, but I know that's very objective. Spring and summer were nice that's true, but it also rains a lot, and the weather between November and March is, for a big part, gray, rainy, and cold. I love warmer and sunnier weather.

- The lack of open space and parks: Asheville feels cramped in a lot of places. There is pretty much no real parks - French Broad River Park and Carrier Park aren't real parks, they're small green spaces right next to the river. For a city that's surrounded by beautiful nature, Asheville has very little green space. I miss having a park or a beach or a lake close by where I can go and hang out after work. That culture doesn't seem to exist in Asheville (even in the so-called parks there is no one on a picnic blanket or just hanging out).

- Highways: The way the highways are constructed in and around Asheville is very strange to me. I feel like everywhere you go in Asheville, there is a highway so close you can literally hear it. Highways also isolate many neighborhoods and make it difficult to 'just go for a bike ride or walk' anywhere.

- Lack of bodies of water: Of course I didn't expect to have a beach close by, but the river is too dirty to swim in, and there aren't many lakes around. The closest lake is almost an hour away.

- Housing market: Last but not least, the hosuing market. I knew it wouldn't be cheap to find housing here, but prices are outrageous, even compared to big cities like Austin Tx or Tampa Fl.

Sure, Asheville has the blue ridge mountains and they're beautiful in the warmer months, I've done some great hikes there. Breweries are really nice, too. But those two things aren't worth it for me.

Any opinions on Asheville? Anything to add?
The weather is typical for this region. Actually Asheville has less rain than many of the surrounding areas. Except for one cold spurt, we’ve had a relatively mild winter. It’s warm today and supposed to be near 80 tomorrow. Asheville is located close to so many beautiful hiking areas. Very few places in the U.S. can compete in this regard. The interstate system and some of the roads do seem a little strange tio me, but you have to remember Asheville is a mountain town. There are several lakes fairly close to Asheville, including Lake Lure, which is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful lakes in America. Yes, housing prices are expensive, relative to many parts of the south. Asheville is considerable to be located in a very desirable part of the country, with a large retiree population and people who move here from other more expensive areas like NY. Demand is great and supply is low; consequently prices are high. The housing market in Asheville is still very good. My philosophy is life is too short to be unhappy. If circumstances allow, I would sell and move to place that makes you happy. You could likely still get top dollar for your house. Given that you want a warmer, less expensive area, you might take a look at southern MS. The COL there is a good bit lower and the weather is warmer.

Last edited by Lizap; 02-22-2023 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-22-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterTherapy View Post
I enjoy visiting Asheville like I do Denver or the mountains in Virginia, but not to live. I'm a coastal boy so that's where I'll always reside. And when I think of vacation or relaxation, it's usually somewhere tropical. However, I do enjoy hiking and experiencing nature in open green space, but I usually have to go off the beaten path to get there. Opinions on a location are just that, totally subjective. It sounds like you'd be better suited somewhere that offers a more temperate climate, perhaps somewhere along the coast? Have you thought about coastal NC, SC, or GA? There are going to be tradeoffs everywhere you look. The best thing to do is figure out what is MOST important to you and your husband and what you might be willing to sacrifice in a different location.
I have thought about a few places - Charleston, Savannah, Austin, Tampa. I love San Diego but it's out of my price range unfortunately. Any suggestions? Where do you live?

Old 02-22-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The weather is typical for this region. Actually Asheville has less rain than many of the surrounding areas. Except for one cold spurt, we’ve had a relatively mild winter. It’s warm today and supposed to be near 80 tomorrow. Asheville is located close to so many beautiful hiking areas. Very few places in the U.S. can compete in this regard. The interstate system and some of the roads do seem a little strange tio me, but you have to remember Asheville is a mountain town. There are several lakes fairly close to Asheville, including Lake Lure, which is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful lakes in America. Yes, housing prices are expensive, relative to many parts of the south. Asheville is considerable to be located in a very desirable part of the country, with a large retiree population and people who move here from other more expensive areas like NY. Demand is great and supply is low; consequently prices are high. The housing market in Asheville is still very good. My philosophy is liife is too short to be unhappy. If circumstances allow, I would sell and move to place that makes you happy. You could likely still get top dollar for your house. Given that you want a warmer, less expensive area, you might take a look at southern MS. The COL there is a good bit lower and the weather is warmer.
Thank you! Weather-wise, I guess I'm just a warm weather person. I'd like to live in a place that's sunnier and with 50+ weather even in winter. The open spaces and parks part is also a big part for me. I'd love to be able to walk around a nice park after work, or even better, hop on my bike and ride it on a greenway. Lake Lure is beautiful, you're right, but it's still about an hour from here. I haven't been to Lake Julian yet actually! Will put that on my list.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:01 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
I have thought about a few places - Charleston, Savannah, Austin, Tampa. I love San Diego but it's out of my price range unfortunately. Any suggestions? Where do you live?
Charleston and Austin are also going to be high cost. Also, like you said, San Diego. Don’t know about Tampa and Savannah. The places you like, others like too, hence more demand, higher cost. You may benefit by looking at other, less in-demand areas.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I live in the Charleston area, Summerville specifically. I love the history of Downtown Charleston and the many beaches nearby. We are part of "The Lowcountry", for our low lying region. Our highest temperatures are usually in July or August with cool off periods beginning around September/October. We have some of the most scenic gardens and historic sites in the South. If you're looking for somewhere in between beach and lake, Summerville, Goose Creek, or North Charleston might be a suitable option. If you haven't yet done so, I strongly recommend you visit! Happy to help in any way I can.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Charleston and Austin are also going to be high cost. Also, like you said, San Diego. Don’t know about Tampa and Savannah. The places you like, others like too, hence more demand, higher cost. You may benefit by looking at other, less in-demand areas.
The average home price in Austin is significantly more. But yes both are up there and in high demand which is reflected in price. Your SQFT dollars will go farther on the outlying towns. Many of the new home builders are doing their best to clear out current inventory by offering great incentives to Buyers from paying closing costs to reducing interest rates.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:07 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
I like Asheville (I don't live there, for reasons unrelated to my like or dislike of it), but I'm very familiar with it and know its pros and cons. Not everybody loves it, of course. Many loathe it. Its all good, different strokes ya know. We all get to find our own happy place.

Old 02-22-2023, 03:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Sounds like the beach is calling the OP. I lived in FL for 13 years before moving up this way so here is my input. Although I don't care for the winters on the cold the days, they are short lived. We still get sunshine. That being said, the rest of the year has nice weather. I prefer warmer weather as well. On the other side of the spectrum, as much as I like FL, the weather can get very hot and humid for many months. During the day from about April-October, you may not be able to enjoy the outdoors. Then during the evening, it is more tolerable but the mosquitos come out. I did like the year round sunshine though. I'd strongly suggest going to these hotter climates in the summer for a few months. If I could chose a climate, I would like it to be in the upper 70's/low 80's. I'd like to go to FL for the winter and come back here the rest of the year, if feasible. lol

I also lived near San Diego for a year. The climate in the winter got down to the 50's and in the summer, it was in the 70's. That was nice weather but the ocean was chilly to swim.

Unfortunately, most places won't have perfect weather.

I agree you can hear the highway from everywhere. Asheville is surrounded by it so unless you go farther out, you probably will hear it. The other things about housing costs and direct flights are true. Charlotte isn't that far away though. Anywhere desirable is going to have expensive housing.

When I first moved here, going on 6 years ago, I thought Asheville was overratted. With time, after a couple years, it grew on me. I got to explore more and the community here has some great people. I found people are friendly and will go out of their way to help others. In other places I've lived, this wasn't always my experience. I've heard you should give a place 2 years to figure out if you like it.

Some other things here that weren't mentioned and that I like are:

1) Small towns around Asheville to visit.
2) Thrift stores and repurpose stores
3) Festivals
4) Live music
5) Downtown
6) Riverwalk
7) Tubing (river and snow)
8) Volunteering
9) No too far from Charlotte, Greenville, SC, Gatlinburg, TN, etc.

BTW, another lake nearby is Lake Powhatan. You can swim there.

Ultimately, it will boil down to what you like and what works best for you. Not every place is for everyone and you only live once. If you don't end up liking it here, by all means try another place. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina