Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 04:21 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
The elevations are higher in some of those towns actually. Blairsville Georgia is higher elevation than Murphy or Hayesville on the other side of the border. Hiawassee is a nice town also.

As far as amenities, those locations in North Georgia have better infrastructure. It's a straight shot to the Atlanta suburbs on a road with 65 mph speed limits. In North Carolina, most of the roads into and out are winding two laners either crossing a mountain or going through a river gorge. The mountains extend further into North Georgia than they do Eastern Tennessee. The Appalachian trail begins in North Georgia also. Clayton, Hiawassee, Blairsville, Blue Ridge, and McCaysville are all worth looking into.
Politically, northwest Georgia is represented in Congress by Marjorie Taylor Greene. She won by 66% in the last election.

We also looked at northwest South Carolina for retirement. There is good fishing and scenic lakefront on Lakes Hartwell and Keowee. I am not sure how important that is to the OP.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-03-2023 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 07:01 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Glad to hear, thank you for your perspective.
The only advantage that northeast TN has, IMO, are much better lakes, Johnson City, and better roadways (roads themselves).

Outside of Asheville, most of the small cities around there are just too small IMO. Usually, they have good local restaurants, fast food, the regional grocer, maybe some light shopping, etc., but just not all that much there. I've been looking to move closer to my girlfriend, who is between Marshall and Weaverville. Marshall doesn't have much other than a few restaurants, county facilities, and a grocery store. Weaverville is basically a fancier suburb of Asheville, but even then, there's not a ton there.

The lakes in northeast TN are much better. The roadways are generally wider and are just easier to get around on.

Other than that, there's not much for me to recommend about northeast TN. Crime is much higher. Politically, yes, the area is Republican, but it always has been, and it's become extreme. Politics didn't used to be discussed often, but now it feels front and center in a way it just didn't before, even compared to the red counties in WNC.

Personally, I would stick to WNC, unless the TN tax advantages are that important to you, or you have some personal reason to be in TN.

Old 07-05-2023, 08:43 AM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
Quote:
You are not the first person to recommend N. Georgia, but if I'm going to compromise on climate, why not just stick to Tennessee? Are the mountain towns in North Georgia at a higher elevation than those in Eastern TN? What types of ammenities would I not be able to find living in proximity to Johnson City or Boone?

I like Idaho and its cold, dry climate, but I worry about the coming decades. Also, a close friend thinks culturally I would fit in well in the South, so I'm trying to find a way to explore that option without being tormented by Summer weather. Whether TN, NC or GA, ideally my first visit will be in July or August so I can get a sense of what I might be getting myself into.
OP:

Please do come to WNC/N GA, etc. during the summer because I can tell you that although the concept of compromising on climate might seem doable, the reality is that it can be stealthily brutal.

For the last 40 years I've lived in Miami, and despite the "ocean breezes" and A/C, our daily lives are TOTALLY dictated by the ambient temperature & humidity. A high degree of both makes people grumpy. It makes people lethargic. It curtails activities, which is a form of restriction. Being restricted from outdoor activities almost year-round is not healthy for the body nor soul. (here I am grumping about it even when I'm not there!!! )

You seem outdoorsy. The early mornings and late evenings here in Weaverville NC (2,200 ft.) are pleasant. Otherwise, very warm approaching hot-ish. And although not as humid as SoFL, more so than ID.

Could you elaborate on your concerns for your current location in ID? Is it climate related? Culture related? Financial? Things are in flux all over the country, more so than at any point post WWII. So I feel that many different factors need to be weighed. I see that you're doing that, but you have folks here who are willing to pitch in with info to add to your research.

In the meantime, come! Do come visit! You'll find a high degree of hospitality. And maybe check out Burnsville: https://blueridgemountainstravelguid...burnsville-nc/

Old 07-05-2023, 09:00 AM

212 posts, read 426,424 times
OP:

Love the name: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...7101369_zpid/?

And this name, too: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...07101441_zpid/

Old 07-05-2023, 11:28 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I do miss the small town country buffets (chicken n dumplings, country ham, fried chicken, fresh turnip greens, local black-eyed peas, rutabagas, mustard greens, turkey and dressing, butter beans, local squash, sweet potatoes, fried okra, peach cobbler, homemade pound cake). If you know of a restaurant in the Asheville area that has such food/buffet, please let me know. Charleston is also touristy, but offers more choices in traditional southern cuisine.
Oooooooooooooo Wee! Now that’s a list of some good ol’ southern, country, soul food staples if Ive ever seen one. Making my mouth water more than a rabid coon stumbling into a farmhouse .

Old 07-05-2023, 07:05 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
OP:

Please do come to WNC/N GA, etc. during the summer because I can tell you that although the concept of compromising on climate might seem doable, the reality is that it can be stealthily brutal.

For the last 40 years I've lived in Miami, and despite the "ocean breezes" and A/C, our daily lives are TOTALLY dictated by the ambient temperature & humidity. A high degree of both makes people grumpy. It makes people lethargic. It curtails activities, which is a form of restriction. Being restricted from outdoor activities almost year-round is not healthy for the body nor soul. (here I am grumping about it even when I'm not there!!! )

You seem outdoorsy. The early mornings and late evenings here in Weaverville NC (2,200 ft.) are pleasant. Otherwise, very warm approaching hot-ish. And although not as humid as SoFL, more so than ID.

Could you elaborate on your concerns for your current location in ID? Is it climate related? Culture related? Financial? Things are in flux all over the country, more so than at any point post WWII. So I feel that many different factors need to be weighed. I see that you're doing that, but you have folks here who are willing to pitch in with info to add to your research.

In the meantime, come! Do come visit! You'll find a high degree of hospitality. And maybe check out Burnsville: https://blueridgemountainstravelguid...burnsville-nc/
Burnsville is on my list for Western NC.

Culturally people in the West are generally reserved. On a recent trip to Wisconsin I was struck by how immediately friendly the atmosphere was. People are amicable and polite here in Idaho (which was less often the case on the West Coast where I grew up), especially older people, but there's a strong "keep to yourself and your business" undercurrent I tend to experience. I had a friend suggest I might get on better in the South.

I dislike triple digit Summer temperatures I'm presently experiencing, but there are many places in the state I could move to to escape that.

If I could find a place to settle long term with a below average COL, I'd be happy to have my resources go farther.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:08 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investorscooter View Post
OP:

Guess it's all relative. We live in the mountains at 2650 ft. southwest of Hendersonville. It rarely touches 90 here in the summer, usually in the low to middle 80s with a few days in the mid to high 70s; nothing compared to the 100s in much of the south recently. We have some humidity, but again nothing compared to many areas of the south. To me, the weather here is near perfect.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:30 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Burnsville is on my list for Western NC.

Culturally people in the West are generally reserved. On a recent trip to Wisconsin I was struck by how immediately friendly the atmosphere was. People are amicable and polite here in Idaho (which was less often the case on the West Coast where I grew up), especially older people, but there's a strong "keep to yourself and your business" undercurrent I tend to experience. I had a friend suggest I might get on better in the South.

I dislike triple digit Summer temperatures I'm presently experiencing, but there are many places in the state I could move to to escape that.

If I could find a place to settle long term with a below average COL, I'd be happy to have my resources go farther.
Your last sentence makes me think WNC may not be the best fit for you. The COL here is higher than most places in TN and SC, as well as most other areas in the south, excluding south FL.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:01 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
The Cumberland plateau of TN, far east TN either in the mountains or tri city area, the VA panhandle, western NC and far upstate SC and North GA are all totally tolerable for the South in the summer.

In most of those areas you'll knock 5 degrees and 10% humidity off and it will feel noticeably much better. Will it still be hot? Absolutely. But it will be totally tolerable. It will not be the same as Columbia SC where it's 97 degrees and.85% humidity and you feel like you're in a sauna. The upland areas really make a difference. It's really a nice climate. Fall and spring are gorgeous, you still get somewhat of a winter and summer is hot but tolerable. You will probably only have to limit your outdoor activities in the middle of the day on occasion. It's really a great tradeoff for a mild climate.

https://www.google.com/search?client...nQKI9M6oAJDazM

Check out the USDA climate map and focus on this area. It has a noticeable more mild growing requirements than low elevation south areas. It makes a difference.

Old 07-06-2023, 08:05 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Your last sentence makes me think WNC may not be the best fit for you. The COL here is higher than most places in TN and SC, as well as most other areas in the south, excluding south FL.

I've heard in upstate SC the area from Pickens north to the mountains is supposed to have a lot of what the OP might be looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina