Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 07:15 AM

2,618 posts, read 2,309,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
There is subsidized housing somewhere in Montford. Those shots no doubt came from someone who lived there or was passing through.
We assume they came from Hillcrest apartments, but was never able to verify. Hillcrest is over the bridge from 26.
I was terrified, I lived alone in that big house. It’s a shame, because Montford is beautiful.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:44 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,418,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I had to live in big cities growing up (Brooklyn, Detroit, St. Louis) & while pursuing a career (Atlanta)...ugh

I didn't like them then, & I don't like them now, & now I have a choice.

I realize Asheville is much smaller than those big cities, but its big enough to have big city issues, so no thx.

I prefer small towns...particularly in the South. Give me a few restaurants/bars/coffee shops/retail stores along a walkable main street, & I'm fine. If its walking distance to my monthly rental...even better. Add; waterfalls, rivers, lakes, mountains, & public forrests, & I'm

I'm not aware of anything that would make me want to go into Asheville, aside from better restaurants than the smaller towns might have. Its too far from Brevard to be drinking, then driving back to Brevard after dark, so the nighlife in Asheville is a no go.

Besides, I don't want to be near any homeless drug addicts, particularly after dark in a city like Asheville that defunds police. I might have spent the month in Ashville, if it were not for that. I'm part of the 11% in tourist revenue Asheville's losing.

I'll go to the Biltmore, then make a Beeline back to Brevard. I'll day trip to other small towns to see if I like any of them better than Brevard. I can see myself being a regular Summer renter in Western NC, for the next 20 yrs. If so, Asheville lost ~$200k on me.

Today, in SW FLA, the "feels like" is ~109 degrees. Brevard's 80. A month of cool weather, & a change of scenery is worth $8k/mo. to me.
I've never felt the least bit threatened downtown. Granted, I'm a big, younger guy, but the homeless and addicts don't harass me.

I would at least check it out. If you don't, you're basically ignoring the biggest non-nature attraction in the region.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:04 PM

5,465 posts, read 6,090,402 times
Heck, I'm in my late 70s and decrepit but I still check Asheville out every time we venture over to that part of WNC. We like it, do we want to live there? NO!
We have a need for the quiet and open space near the top of our mountain, BUT, we sure like the fact that it's there when we want to visit.

It's all about personal experience. I had a couple of bad Chrysler/Dodge products back in the 80s and 90s. So now I don't like anything from that manufacturer. Some people love them and they are still selling them so they must be doing something right. BUT NOT FOR ME!

A great big pile of facts will seldom change your perception/opinion once you've had that personal experience.

Old 07-07-2023, 05:00 PM

323 posts, read 259,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
A great big pile of facts will seldom change your perception/opinion once you've had that personal experience.
Memories of pain and suffering linger long and fade, if ever, slowly..

Old 07-08-2023, 06:53 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,040,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
If you stay south of downtown, you will find few, if any issues at all.
LMAO!!!

"Come to Asheville! Enjoy the mountains! Spend a whole lot of your tourist dollars!! ....Just steer clear of downtown and you'll be fine!"

Old 07-08-2023, 07:02 AM

6,640 posts, read 4,334,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
LMAO!!!

"Come to Asheville! Enjoy the mountains! Spend a whole lot of your tourist dollars!! ....Just steer clear of downtown and you'll be fine!"
At least in the Asheville area, there’s some very nice areas in other parts of the city. .. FWIW, the few homeless I’ve seen were not in the immediate downtown area. This issue is way overblown, as others have noted.

Old 07-09-2023, 03:06 PM

25,926 posts, read 12,943,406 times
Quote:
At least in the Asheville area, there’s some very nice areas in other parts of the city. .. FWIW, the few homeless I’ve seen were not in the immediate downtown area. This issue is way overblown, as others have noted.
When this many high-level community leaders come together to discuss crime, it's not overblown:

https://wlos.com/news/local/ashevill...ederal-leaders

Asheville's total crime index (100 is the safest) is "1". St. Louis is a "1" too, & Chicago is a "9".

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Here's a review by a local:

I'll visit Biltmore, then leave the area. I'll give the politicians and law enforcement a year to re-staff the police force, & visit Asheville next year, when it's safer. I'm sure its a beautiful city, & I do want to see it in the future.

Last edited by Yac; 07-12-2023 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-09-2023, 04:06 PM

5,465 posts, read 6,090,402 times
Not exactly a hotbed of crime according to this list. Especially when you look at the 100 other cites with higher crime in NC.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:24 PM

6,640 posts, read 4,334,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Not exactly a hotbed of crime according to this list. Especially when you look at the 100 other cites with higher crime in NC.

Good point! I have a feeling many of the negative comments have to do with something other than crime stats. I'll leave it at that..

Old 07-09-2023, 09:12 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,089,164 times
Quote:
Good point! I have a feeling many of the negative comments have to do with something other than crime stats. I'll leave it at that..
You nailed it, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina