Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 05:30 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,317 times

Advertisements

Elevation definitely was a focus when I first started my search in WNC. I hate heat and humidity. I'm very used to cold weather, so anything over 75°F and I'm melting! But, even counties like Clay and Cherokee have made heat and humidity things I'm willing to compromise on.

As for renting, I'm fussier about that than I am buying. You see, I've rented my entire life. The house I buy in WNC will be my first, and forever, home. When I leave my apartment building, I will, Lord willing, never, ever live in one again. I'm open to renting a cottage, a cabin, or even supporting someone by renting a room in their B&B while I explore up and down WNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliformia View Post
Since you are focusing on elevation, I would narrow the search to towns about 2800 ft or up in WNC. That's sorta the line where you may not need AC in the summer. East TN might work too but the elevations of towns tend to be lower than that.

The WNC counties I recommend for being somewhat more remote are Madison, Yancy, Swain, Jackson, Macon and Graham. Probably renting first would make sense and then making the choice to buy if you are not that familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 05:34 PM

I've come to learn this. That's been the thorn in my side in ALL of my research of EVERY state I chose to research. Tellico Plains in Monroe County, TN. Mountain roads of West Virginia. Badlands (Sturgis area) of South Dakota. Mountains of Idaho. All motorcycle meccas.

There's a house for sale in Little Switzerland that I really LOVE (even though it's too big for just me) but... motorcycle heaven. Here in Minneapolis, I have motorcycles roaring by daily and I'm SICK of it. Just like I'm SICK of smelling marijuana everywhere I go. That stuff is worse than skunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
People come from all over the country to ride motorcycles in western NC/Eastern TN

Old 01-03-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I'm in agreement with most of the posts in this thread. I surely agree you should be focusing your attention along the NC/Tn/Va border.
I'm really happy to hear folks saying this because it means I've been clear about what I'm looking for. And these areas are exactly where I've been focusing. Any branching out I've done has been because WNC has so much to offer. But, I've researched every county in TN, NC, and VA that border each other, even going one more county deeper into TN and VA.

Quote:
I agree altitude is something that should narrow your search.
There are many areas in the geographic trapezoid between Asheville, NC, Boone, NC, Johnson City, Tn. and Abingdon, Va that will fit your needs. The closer you are to the NC/Tn/Va line, the better (still not cheap) pricing will be when looking for some secluded acreage.
Altitude is definitely still a consideration. But it's starting to become something I'm more willing to compromise on if the area is right.

The ONE thing that makes my house hunting a little different than most people's is that I'm not letting budget lead my hunt. I've lived on a budget and well below my means my entire life. This house will be my first and last and I'm not going to let money keep me from being where I want to be.

Old 01-03-2024, 05:52 PM

I appreciate the suggestion! It's just too far east for me. I'm determined to be in the Appalachias, even if it's in the foothills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not western NC, but I love the Southern Pines, Pinehurst areas… Moore County. Southern Pines has a darling downtown area with shops and a park.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:01 PM

Ashe County is definitely on my list of possibilities. I'm just limited by what properties are on the market. Right now (and this could change), the only places I'm finding have too much open area grass to mow and not enough woods. I've got The River's Edge Inn bookmarked to stay at while I'm exploring the area though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Go North young man, and take a look at Ashe county.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm fairly familiar with Burnsville. It's a decent enough small town - some decent local restaurants, a great brewery with outdoor entertaining area, a grocery store, but pretty much any real shopping is around a half hour away.

Spruce Pine and Burnsville are far enough away from Asheville to get some relief on property prices.
Spruce Pines and Little Switzerland appeal to me, outside of the motorcycles that is.
Burnsville is an area I'm very open to. The houses I'm finding that I like have all been outside of the town itself, which is great by me. Fortunately, I don't mind driving a distance to do my shopping. Again, I'm not trying to be reclusive, just rural.

Quote:
The thing about the small towns is that many people have lived there for a long time and social circles are relatively closed. I wouldn't say that people are unfriendly, but it's kind of a closed circle. A lot of socializing is through church, so if you aren't into that, it makes it more difficult to meet people.
I'm prepared for that. I was raised in it. As for church-going, I'm counting on it. I have two of my own sayings about life that have served me very well.

1. Winters were made for quilts, cocoa, and good books by the fire.
2. Everything is about Jesus. Everything. Always has been.

Trying to fit in in a small, rural, tight-knit community beats trying to fit in in a big liberal city any day of the week for more reasons than I have time to give.

Quote:
TN has lower property prices than western NC and has no state income tax, but IMO, people are less friendly in TN, and crime is a concern, especially in rural areas. WNC, regardless of the politics of the immediate area, feels much more live and let live than TN, where many people move in because of the politics.
This really is a great point. I've read this comment during my research here on this forum so I've probably read your comments before! Personally, I just need to be around like-minded folks again. Minneapolis is seriously and scarily liberal and, even though I keep to myself, I just don't have the strength for it anymore.

Different forums I've read, including comments on YouTube videos, would seem to prove what you said about attitudes. I love Tennessee. I used to live in Knoxville and Maryville. That's why it was near the top of my list (along with West Virginia) to relocate to. But, once I stepped my research foot across the state line of North Carolina, I was hooked. Part of that is due to that live and let live attitude. I'm a people person and the community I become a part of is important to me.

Quote:
Western VA is a good option as well. It's higher elevation than much of east TN with much lower property prices than NC or TN. It has a much lower population density.
I checked out western VA but nothing there stood out to me. Well, except this video of an Air B&B on YouTube that's in Dugspur. I'd buy this property sight unseen in a heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrkbTa3AMvg

Old 01-03-2024, 06:38 PM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
So, peace and quiet is priority. After that, I love the woods. I don't care if they're in the mountains or in a valley. I also want running water, preferably a stream or creek. If there's a lack of light pollution so I can actually see the stars again... even better. The land features are slightly more important than the house itself.
One thing to keep in mind in that some counties have no, or very limited, zoning and development rules. The lovely woods next door could become a junk yard. If you're buying less than 8 acres or so, you might be better off in a subdivision, which may offer more protection. I have a house in Ashe County, on 3 acres, in a 38 lot subdivision, half of which appears to be unbuildable. Totally quiet, wooded, long range mountain views. New River is 3 minutes down the hill. Very limited hoa, $150/yr.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:49 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Spruce Pines and Little Switzerland appeal to me, outside of the motorcycles that is. Burnsville is an area I'm very open to. The houses I'm finding that I like have all been outside of the town itself, which is great by me. Fortunately, I don't mind driving a distance to do my shopping. Again, I'm not trying to be reclusive, just rural.
Again I feel that's where I feel the Bakersville area north of Spruce Pine is ideal given its proximity to things, yet is still rural and off the beaten path of tourists largely.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:49 PM

It's been a long time since I posted on City Data Forum so I didn't realize it was okay to post Zillow links! I'm tempted to post some of the properties I found that I like to get thoughts and insights that I might not be aware of. And I'll look at ANY and EVERY link that anyone is kind enough to take the time to post for me! I love the entire house hunting process!

As for your links:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Check out some of these places, all on 2 or more acres:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...81131211_zpid/
I like Mountain City. This property is gorgeous and big enough. The house is worth remodeling. But, it's missing a stream (very highly preferable) or at least a pond, and a garage (which is a must have). The biggest thing against this property is how much lawn there is to mow and not enough woods. I'm not against hiring someone to do the mowing if folks are still looking to do landscaping though. I don't mind a small yard to tend, but I'm DONE with mowing and shoveling myself.

Stunning, fantastic location. (I'm telling you, NOTHING beats the mountains and hollers of WNC!) I love the farmhouse. It's worth remodeling to suit, too. And I love the extensive woods, even if it sloping like that. That doesn't bother me. But, there's no stream/pond and the house is too close to the road and the front yard is all slope that goes straight down to the road.

QUESTION: Lots of metal roofs in WNC. I'm not against them at all but aren't they loud in a heavy rain/hail storm? Don't they get dented? (Sorry if that's a dumb question! Remember, I'm a life long renter!)

I remember looking at this listing. I loved the pond. But, there's way too much open area to mow and not enough woods. The house isn't to my taste at all and I'd have to gut it. I'd make sure it all got donated (for free) to families who needed it though.

Same issues as the other house in Vilas, NC you linked to.

Gorgeous land but it's too wide open for me. It's funny because I found a lot of listings that I really liked only to learn they're horse farms, which I love. I just don't want horses of my own.

You're great at finding good properties at good prices though! I'm so grateful for the links!

Old 01-03-2024, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I don't have any social media"...news flash...City-Data is social media.
It might be, but not by my definition. I don't have Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, or anything like these. To me, City Data is simply a discussion forum. In fact, I haven't posted on it for a VERY long time. I just remembered it when it came time for me to research my move. But, I'm not here to split hairs. My point was basically that I'm not a tech person. I don't have a single app on my phone because I treat it like a landline and don't even use it to go online at all. I have a laptop that I use for my writing, research, and to listen to audio books and sermons on YouTube. If YouTube ever requires an account to use it, then even my YouTube days will be over.

Quote:
MrRational had the best advice, rent, explore, purchase. You won't know if the ideological makeup of the area suits you until you immerse yourself in a locality.
Rural NC as well as VA skews conservative, so you are pretty safe, save for isolated areas of liberal thinkers...like say Asheville.
It's just going to be a matter of finding something to rent first. I don't plan my house purchase to be the first thing I do in NC. Naturally, I'll want to explore. I'll either rent a cabin, cottage, take a room in a B&B, or just get an RV and leisurely explore WNC.

As for liberals, I'm all for letting people make their own choices in life. I just live in an area where liberals are so outspoken and vocal that conservatives are raged at openly if they dare speak their minds. It's a rude and hostile environment where people are kind as you please until you say something they don't like, tolerate, or believe in. Then God help you... THAT'S what I no longer have the patience for.

Quote:
When we relocated from AZ, my exploration tool was google:
Homes for sale in: XYZ town (or city/county/area)
I've been using all the real estate sites, especially Zillow and LandWatch. If I find a house I like, I go to Google Earth to view it and the area. The 3D feature has been HUGELY helpful! Street View is nice when it's available for the areas I'm interested in, but that's rarely available on the local properties I'm looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina