Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,645 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to Asheville and we are wondering what neighborhoods we should be looking at. We are in our early 30's with a kid so we are not looking for the college neighborhoods, but we aren't looking for the retirement areas either. We like funky, older houses in neighborhoods with character, preferably with some stuff within walking distance (coffee shops, restaurants, etc.). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 AM

187 posts, read 1,020,237 times
Montford or West Asheville, based on your criteria.

Personally, I think West Asheville is currently overpriced for what it offers, but a lot of younger people seem to gravitate over there. My wife and I are in our late 30's and own a small place in Montford and love it. 15 minute walk to downtown, close to everything, and definitely a mixed demographic.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:56 AM

63 posts, read 355,507 times
I'll second vandemusser, and add the neighborhoods from Merrimon Avenue east all the way over to Town Mountain. My wife and I bought a house near Claxton Elementary School when we were 30 (with two small kids) and lived there happily for 12 years until we finally outgrew it and were ready for a change of scenery. Best investment we ever made!

You also might look at Kenilworth. It doesn't quite have the walk-to-the-coffee-shop component, but otherwise it fits your criteria.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:06 AM

366 posts, read 1,013,180 times
I'm nearly 30, and several years out of college, but I'm still partial to the neighborhood near UNCA surrounded by merrimon on thne east and weaver on the south (the west side is pretty much bordered by unca and the north side is a bit tougher to put a firm border on .

Old 06-10-2008, 08:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,228,043 times
For your age and since you want to be close to town, I agree with the above mentions of Montford, which is a historic district of Victorian homes. You can ride a bike from that neighborhood right into the city.

Generally north of town are a number of neighborhoods that fit your bill, beginning several blocks above the freeway I240. I think the best areas besides Montford are specifically: Albemarle Park (off Charlotte), Grove Park, the first part of Sunset, Edwin Place on up Kimberly and west of it, then over to Norwood Park (off Merrimon), on up to the surrounds of Lakeshore Drive, then Beaver Lake and Lakeview Park.

The reason for the north side of Asheville is because it's mostly larger homes with nice neighborhoods and you can get to downtown or shops from those places rather easily, especially Montford. The price ranges are fairly high (altho Norwood Park isn't too bad and there are some good buys a few blocks south of Beaver Lake).

That is why many are going over to West Asheville, also mentioned in the above posts, which is an awful drive to the city of Asheville, but it has its own tiny "downtown," which the areas north of the intersection of Brevard and Haywood Roads, fanning out to Patton Avenue, are okay good to look into, worn-out but mostly renovated bungalow type homes, with some more modern and some Craftsman sections.

Black Mountain is about 20 minutes to Asheville, but it is self-contained and with many shops that are walkable from the whole neighborhood east of Lake Tomahawk.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 AM

366 posts, read 1,013,180 times
I lived in black mountain for 4 years and I couldn't imagine moving back there again. Once I got back into asheville it made me never want to live in black mountain again, but I'm not the op so i can't say that's of any importance to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina