Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,042 times

Advertisements

We (myself, husband, 18-month-old daughter) are moving to Asheville in the fall from Rhode Island. We would love to build a green, energy-efficient house (or renovate an existing to make it green) in a beautiful (think views and 2-6 acres) setting, but also would like to live in an area that is urban enough so that one can walk to coffee shops, stores, friends' houses, etc., without always having to get in the car -- a place with a real sense of community. May be impossible, but was wondering if anyone has advice for neighborhoods to look at that meet those criteria?

Also, have been reading lots about Asheville as a haven for retirees; wondering if it has the feeling of an older person's place, or if there are lots of young families around, and if so, where they tend to gravitate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times
Yes, 2 to 6 acres within walking distance to what you'd like is impossible. And, yes, it is a wealthy retiree area with very little employment. You would need to have a good job here before you relocate. Take into consideration also that salary ranges and hourly wages are less than half what they are in your area. But, cost of living is higher.

2 to 6 acres even without a view near Asheville will cost you a minimum of $80,000 per acre. With even a peekaboo view, you're looking at upwards $500,000 just for the dirt.

This subject has been talked about ad infinitum regarding Asheville and the surrounding areas. It would be interesting for you to search back and learn more.

It is a beautiful area and I don't blame you for dreaming.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:45 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I don't know what your price range is, but you will have to pick whether you want to walk to amenities or have acreage. If you want acreage you will probably have to go a ways outside Asheville to get anything affordable as the land around Asheville has become very expensive. Otherwise you can get an existing house in town and remodel it, which is what I did, and I can walk to many things from my neighborhood. And all the views in Asheville are beautiful!

You can get lots of good info by doing a search on Asheville in this forum. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: