Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM

122 posts, read 263,673 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy reading these forums of the mountain areas in NC, TN, & VA. Especially NC. I currently live in MO, just west of St. Louis. One of these days we plan on moving; don't know exactly where yet. Some things have to fall into place first but I'm working on it. I definitely want to move to the mountains. A few years ago I lived in East TN and loved it and want to get back the mountains more than likely on the NC side. I'm really interested in the Waynesville and Boone areas. In doing some research between the two places, I noticed that Boone sits roughly at 3200' and Waynesville sits roughly at 2800' elevation. However, the snow averages are completely different. Boone's average is around 36" and Waynesville's average is around 12" (according to the town website). Boone gets 3 times as much snow. How can this be when the elevation difference is only around 400'? It's hard to imagine that only 400' can make that much of a difference. I'm looking for a place where around 20" of snow is average (give or take). That is about what we get over here near St. Louis. In addition, I've got to get away from the stifiling summer heat over her in MO. Anyway, any input would be most appreciated -- not just on snow but other weather factors and the differences between the two towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

172 posts, read 477,415 times
Boone is a good bit further north than Waynesville...Also Haywood county has taller Mountains that can tend to break up the storms and push them around us.....If you would like to Live near Waynesville and want some more snow look into the Fines Creek Area close to the TN boarder...

Old 11-08-2012, 12:58 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
Agree with WNC-hiker...
both altitude and latitude at work.

Downtown Waynesville can have rain, while up any of the roads to mtn side housing can have snow, and sometimes lots of it, at 4,000 ft and higher.

Boone proper is cooler than Waynesville in almost all months, 'town vs town'. Get higher in either area, and temps drop that magical 4-6 degs per 1000 ft of elevation.

Looking for a "20 inch annual" snowfall location is a bit of a stretch, and with the recent years' worth of extreme weather I would suggest that even annual data is suspect these days.

We have had 7-8" already, in '2 snows' this season, but I am going down the mtn tomorrow to play golf. It's not like all of the higher elevations are in the Arctic 6 months a year...
GL, mD

Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks so much for the responses. I love NC mountains. We have been many a time on vacation to NC. It's been a while though. Yes, I know Boone is a little further north so that can make some difference and the elevation, while higher, is not that much higher. I can understand the snow average been higher in Boone, but 3 times as much??? I guess the taller mountains really break up the storms -- a lot of descending air instead of ascending. Anyway, it was the huge difference that I was having trouble reconciling. I want to say thanks to motordavid for the beautiful photography -- keep those pictures coming! It will still be a couple of years before the move. Son has to graduate HS. We also want to get our financial house in order. We want to be relatively close to Asheville. My wife is an accountant and I'm a mortgage loan consultant. I figure the best jobs would be in Asheville, but I could be wrong. We also want to find a more conservative area than we are presently.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,231 times
It makes a big difference where you live in the Boone area. Ray's weather often gives it forecasts depending on what side of the Blue ridge you are on.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
It makes a big difference where you live in the Boone area. Ray's weather often gives it forecasts depending on what side of the Blue ridge you are on.
Yes, I've seen Ray's weather page. There is quite a difference in temperatures and weather.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Sperling's site says 14" for average snowfall. I would assume that just a few hundred feet in elevation around town can make quite a difference as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM

This site shows 16". Who to believe??

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 06:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center

Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM

I never have come across this site. Thanks! A lot of good info. It shows 13.8 for Waynesville and 35.8 for Boone. Huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina