Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 43,261 times

Advertisements

i keep reading comments about how asheville is really expensive because it is a resort town. currently living in Vail, i have no idea what that means! can someone give some examples, please? like...

how much for a 3 bedroom / 2 bathhouse in a good location?
how much to go out for lunch?
how much for a beer at the bar?
how much for a gym membership?
how much for a gallon of gas?

etc
THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:24 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times
Default Cost of living calculator

I highly doubt that Asheville is as expensive as Vail, but check out:

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

I don't live in Asheville yet, but from my research, here's what I'm discovering:

-- 3 br/2ba house in "good" location -- depends on what you consider "good". South, West or East Asheville -- 250K and up . . . North Asheville -- 300K and up . . . downtown -- alot more. Go outside of Asheville and it'll be less.

-- beer -- 3.50

-- gym -- 50/month (only looked at 1)

-- lunch -- depends where, but downtown I'd say 12-15 bucks/person

-- jobs -- very few, unless you work in the health care field or service industry, especially now given the rising unemployment rate.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:30 AM..

Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
We have a 3br/2ba house in Asheville, not too far from Biltmore Mall, it's very convenient to the major highways in the area, it's in great shape, a very nice, quiet, safe neighborhood, big screened porch, and it's on the market for 239. I'm not trying to sell it to you (although I would if you wanted it - LOL), but just saying, the prices have come down a bit recently. I would have agreed with 250k and up last year, but not now.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 43,261 times
THANK YOU!! Although now i am thinking Boulder...

Old 11-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevillebound View Post
Why Boulder? Just curious.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
We have a 3br/2ba house in Asheville, not too far from Biltmore Mall, it's very convenient to the major highways in the area, it's in great shape, a very nice, quiet, safe neighborhood, big screened porch, and it's on the market for 239. I'm not trying to sell it to you (although I would if you wanted it - LOL), but just saying, the prices have come down a bit recently. I would have agreed with 250k and up last year, but not now.
Hi -- how many sq.ft. is your house? How is the traffic in that part of town? That's probably 10 minutes from downtown?

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM

291 posts, read 1,204,052 times
how much for a 3 bedroom / 2 bathhouse in a good location? We pay $975. a month for our 3 bdrm/2ba townhome. Our last house was a new modular home on 1 acre in Leicester and it was 3bdrm/2ba and was $1050.00 a month 3 years ago.

how much to go out for lunch? It depends...probably around $10.00 downtown for the meal itself, not inc. drinks, etc. Not too sure, we don't eat out much...

how much for a beer at the bar? Don't know, sorry

how much for a gym membership? About $50.00 last I checked.

how much for a gallon of gas? Yesterday at Ingles (grocery store ~ usually cheapest gas in town) it was $2.14 a gallon.

Hope this helps a bit

Old 12-27-2008, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 22,000 times
Default Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashevillebound View Post
Hope you like bad air quality!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
how much for a 3 bedroom / 2 bathhouse in a good location? 200 on up depending on where. Some are cheaper in spots depending on the neighborhood. I live in West Avl, that floorplan will still fetch 275 up.

how much to go out for lunch? 6.00 on up. You could go cheap do and do a Coke and Nabs. 6.00 is a sandwich at a store, a buck for a drink. 8+ in places where you sit. All depends on the quality.

how much for a beer at the bar? I drink at 2 different places, pints are 3.50 each at both.

how much for a gym membership? the YMCA is 48 I think. YW is cheaper. There are some other gyms but they're never around too long it seems.

how much for a gallon of gas? 1.58 at Ingles today.

Something else to look at are wages. This is a touristy area, which is slowing down a bit. We're not a Vail as we get a lot of touristy travelers. No big draw here for people. You can only see the Biltmore House or GPI so many times. Lots of outdoor stuff here, paddling and hiking and biking.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
No big draw here for people.
Quote:
Lots of outdoor stuff here, paddling and hiking and biking.
Seems like a draw to me. Not everyone is here to see the Biltmore Estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina