U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,086 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Asheville this January. I need to know the good, the bad, and the ugly of Asheville Middle School, where my 6th grade daughter will attend. Thanks for any information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
Ams is the best!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,167 times
SHE WILL LOVE THE SCHOOL!! their is friendly teachers and a nice environment!!:rolleyes :

Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 24,896 times
LMFAO! Your best bet would be a county school, IMHO.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,086 times
My daughter has been at AMS for about two and a half months, and it has definitely NOT met our expectations. The expectations are extemley low. For instance, 6th graders have only a maximum of 30 min. of homework a night. Half the student body is very unruly, and, something of lesser importance but still an issue, the school lunches- Papa Johns Pizza, a chicken sandwich, and asorted fruit every day! The unruly students cause many disruptions in the class, and not much gets done. Also, I am not very happy with the gifted and talented program (ESG). The students only meet once a week for an hour, and that sure does not seem like enough. Needless to say, we are now serching for a school that my daughter can thrive.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 AM

22 posts, read 53,227 times
The drop out rate is very high in asheville city schools. AMS is nice, I have had observations there, and the teachers seem good; but the school suffers from lack of funding.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,358 times
Default Art Teacher Originally from Long Island

Hello.
I have been teaching in Broward County South Florida for 5 years. After next year I will be vested in the pension and am thinking about moving to the Asheville area to continue teaching art for 4 more years until I can retire.

Are there teacher unions. How does the state treat their educators? Here, whenever the budget falls short because of THEIR misappropriations (underfunding education last year exempted us from receiving the fed bailout money), the teachers suffer. And they say the state puts kids firsts.What a CROCK!

Is NC still paying Nationally Certified Teachers their bonuses? What is classroom size? Do the High Schools have art majors as a choise for kids or is it the dumping ground and baby sitting service we run, including all the state standards, etc.

thanks for giving me the climate of education in north carolina. fl is a right to work state also. that law dates to 1948, revised in 1968. neanderthal. i come from a place where teachers are empowered to speak their voice, fight for thier rights and strike if they are not met in an acceptable agreement. And I DON'T mean Florida!

Thank you.
Jackie

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 25,933,072 times
No, North Carolina is not for you. There is no forced unionization or collective bargaining for compensation or working conditions here for public service employees.

http://www.nrtwc.org/i/usmap.png

Last edited by mm34b; 03-29-2009 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>