U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 AM

1,161 posts, read 4,032,925 times

Advertisements

Well, like I said, Montford Ave was my bike route from work downtown after midnight for a couple years, and I never felt strange. Also, I have walked up and down it at night a lot, just because it's such a nice walk. I had just suggested you wee-wall around that intersection if you take routine evening walks up to the park, like with your dogs or something, so any stranger visiting those little shops on the corner won't notice your habits, perhaps. But if somebody is gonna commit a personal crime, it ain't gonna be on that street nohow because it's so open and well-lit and well-traveled. Just use normal common sense, carry a cell phone, and consider using a bicycle for travel, maybe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 06:00 AM

12 posts, read 39,748 times
Thanks a lot for your reply. The last time I was in Montford, I felt perfectly safe, but after reading this board a couple of people had some strong opinions about how unsafe it is. Thanks for letting me know your experience in the area.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 AM

535 posts, read 1,657,738 times
We looked at a house there in the mid 90s but passed due to some safety concerns. It's changed a lot since, as the area gentrifies more it will get nicer. It's an easy walk/bike ride to downtown (by easy I mean "flat"). I used to live north of there a little and didn't feel comfortable walking through there at night since it's so dark/tree lined. The crime from what I hear is mostly petty thefts. This might be your ideal place but don't leave your house open or your car unlocked.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM

291 posts, read 1,154,070 times
We're moving to Orlando in three weeks and I have learned a lot from these boards. Let me just say crime in Asheville is higher that the national average if you do the city comparisons, but I've lived here for the past 20 years and have never had any problem with crime of any sort and I've lived in Weaverville, W. Asheville, E. Asheville and now S. Asheville.
Looking for similar info on the Orlando boards I know how you feel about being scared away from an area or neighborhood.
A month ago I would have been quick to say I wouldn't feel that comfortable walking around in Montford but the reality is that most crimes are concentrated in the bad areas of town, namely the projects, esp. PVA and Hillcrest. I wouldn't worry about Klondike too much, it's at the end of the street in Monford. I just wouldn't go in there.
Montford wouldn't be my first choice but I'm not looking to be close to downtown.
I don't think you'll have any problems in Montford. Some areas are better than others but I can't tell you which ones they are, sorry.
Don't worry about it ~ Montford is nice. My chiropractor is right down the street from Klondike and has been there for years and as far as I know he has had no problems.
Good luck !

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 27,035,050 times
Woman reports assault | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times
Quote:
According to information posted on the Asheville Police Department's Web site, the female victim reported that at about 1 a.m., she he gone outside to retrieve an item from her vehicle parked on Montford Avenue. As she walked back to her residence, a man struck her in the face and cut her with a sharp object, possibly a knife.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 AM

187 posts, read 989,636 times
... and there it is.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM

1,161 posts, read 4,032,925 times
Wow. I'm feeling awful now, for saying how okay I felt wandering around Montford. But it's just the way I felt, and, like I said before, it's just my opinion. I do know that a business down by the freeway was vandalized with spray paint last year, and I can remember when I rehearsed with Montford Park Players a number of years back, we heard gunshots on that road down by the freeway, too. And kids used to come up and fool with our cars, also parked on the freeway side of the outdoor theater. We also had a Community Watch program with the police, on account of petty theft stuff. And seems like a couple years ago there was some lady who had an art gallery on Montford, where some people took stuff out of there, but I may be thinking of another street. Sigh.

Perhaps I was too hopeful in my statements. It's just I love Montford, pretty homes, so many being renovated by responsible people, folks walking all around in the neighborhood. I mean, the original poster said he walked around there and felt fine. I guess crime has gone up all over the country, and so too it has in Montford, obviously from this week's newspaper.

I think the most accurate thing to say is, be careful at nighttime when visibility is low and when n'er-do-wells like to wander. About ten years ago, I started carrying a knife with me everywhere I go, and I'm always looking around myself in parking lots, and I generally don't go out after dark anymore without someone with me. Maybe you should look over in the Grove Park vicinity for property, as I suggested, but even over there, like up at the end of Sunset, there's some crime. Heck, I've read about crime all over the city, but as towns go, I think Asheville is one of the safer places to live, as long as you exercise safe common-sense practices. I mean, last year, we only had eight murders, and all but one was solved, according to a TV report a couple days ago about the Buncombe County Sheriff's Department.

Asheville Native, I always appreciate you pointing out what's up, so I'd like to know, if you had a chance to live in Montford, would you take it?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Asheville Native, I always appreciate you pointing out what's up, so I'd like to know, if you had a chance to live in Montford, would you take it?
ummmmmm...........No

Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 PM

187 posts, read 989,636 times
Good.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
Good.
Well ain't that neighborly reaffirms my response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>