U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM

267 posts, read 1,066,137 times

Advertisements

I have never been snow tubing, and would like to this time before winter is out. And before I chicken out again. I know, Laugh. Anyway, which place is better- Jonas Ridge or Hawksnest? I have heard from some folks that Hawksnest gets very disorderly. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:42 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,438,836 times
We just drove by Jonas Ridge this past weekend, it looked very small but not too crowed. I will be watching this thread too. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,383,923 times
Why do places offer tubing in a few hour blocks versus an all day pass like skiing?
I have been wanting to take the family, just the time thing threw me off.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 44,334 times
Can't answer the OP's question of which is better or why they do time blocks but my guess is because of the crowds, We had a group there over Christmas break and the families that tried never did get to tube, either closed due to high wind or already sold out.
Buy your tickets early and don't chicken out, I have done it in the past and it was lots of fun especially if you have kids that are to young to snowboard or ski.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM

743 posts, read 1,939,627 times
We have gone to Moonshine Mtn in Hendersonville twice, and loved it each time. It was $25 for a 3 hour session. The session starts when you buy your ticket, so it doesnt matter when you get there.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 17,508 times
Default I need some help

I have never been snow tubing or anything like it. We have recently been thinking about it so obivously i'm going to research it, and in this I have found some bad reviews one talking of how bad the customers are being treated. Can someone that has actuallybeen there give me an honest review it will be much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM

267 posts, read 1,066,137 times
I went to Hawksnest few days ago. It was ok. It was apparently not a good day to tube as temperatures were high 30's, and we did a lot of walking. Everybody was breaking into a sweat and unzipping jackets, removing gloves and hats etc. Most adults sat it out after the first time down the chutes. The kids didn't seem to care. This was my first time. Someone there said they were there few days prior when the high was 15F and the tubing was great and that they were sliding down so fast they couldn't easily stop at the bottom berm. The lines I felt were disorganized, unlike the neater lines I've seen at theme parks. The lines were anywhere, people cut in all the time, many times being in line was chaotic. Especially at the start when you have to get your tube, it was a mad rush, each man for himself.
Jessebug2, hope this helps. Go on a colder day, and I hope you have a great time.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM

45,246 posts, read 92,357,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVivant View Post
I went to Hawksnest few days ago. It was ok. It was apparently not a good day to tube as temperatures were high 30's, and we did a lot of walking. Everybody was breaking into a sweat and unzipping jackets, removing gloves and hats etc. Most adults sat it out after the first time down the chutes. The kids didn't seem to care. This was my first time. Someone there said they were there few days prior when the high was 15F and the tubing was great and that they were sliding down so fast they couldn't easily stop at the bottom berm. The lines I felt were disorganized, unlike the neater lines I've seen at theme parks. The lines were anywhere, people cut in all the time, many times being in line was chaotic. Especially at the start when you have to get your tube, it was a mad rush, each man for himself.
Jessebug2, hope this helps. Go on a colder day, and I hope you have a great time.

Next time consider driving just a bit further and go to Winter Place in West Virginia - the snow tubing there is very good, very well done, no real waiting even when there are lots of people.

Winterplace Ski Resort

Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM

2,555 posts, read 8,422,811 times
I went to Sugar Mountain this past Saturday and enjoyed it. They have 3 lanes which are 700' long. Its cheaper than Hawksnest, plus my 4 year old got to tube for free, riding on a tube w/ me. They sell tickets on a first come, first served basis 30 minutes prior to the session start time, so you have to get there about 45 minutes ahead of time to be sure you get your ticket. The magic carpet was easy, though it seemed like they might let a few too many in per session as there was a bit of a line at the bottom, especially early in the session. All in all, it was a great time. Plus, if you're not into snow tubing, you can also ice skate or ski/snowboard right there at Sugar.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 44,139 times
Hawksnest is VERY poorly organized. After a two hour drive and near-three-hundred-dollar investment for our family and five kids, they got a total of 6 runs in the time allotted, with nearly an hour spent waiting in lines. The owner/manager informed us he books 500 customers per hour-and-forty-five minute block, and made no apology/refused even a partial refund when we explained our disappointment. He made it clear he's the "best show in town" and didn't need to make up for our bad experience. Even though we bought our tickets online, we were still forced to stand in line with hundreds of people for well over half an hour to receive our lift passes. This place is NOT worth the money. We went down the mountain a few feet and the kids slid on their bottoms for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina