U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,840 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I just recently moved to Bakersville and was wondering if anyone in this general area (Bakersville, Burnsville, Spruce Pine areas) uses an outdoor antenna to receive over the air TV broadcasts. If so, have you already converted to one of the new Digital (DTV) boxes that will be required within the next few weeks?

I tried using a traditional pair of indoor "rabbit ears" but was unable to pick up any stations! I'm just trying to determine if it is worth the cost to try an outside antenna or if I am just out of luck in this area.

Thanks for any information! I would like to avoid paying for cable/satellite if at all possible.

James
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 82,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctech View Post
If so, have you already converted to one of the new Digital (DTV) boxes that will be required within the next few weeks?

Can't help with your question; but last week was told by someone when the topic came up that the conversion date has been changed to the 3rd week in June because so many people are unprepared.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,378,914 times
Default DTV Delay Act

The U.S. Senate voted to push the Feb. 17 digital deadline to June 12 to give more time to people who are not yet prepared for the transition from analog to digital broadcasting. However, the legislation leaves open the option for television stations to cease broadcasting in analog on Feb. 17 if they wish. The U.S. House of Representatives, where some members oppose pushing the deadline back, must also approve the measure. President Obama is expected to approve the delay if the bill passes both.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-31-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 10,840 times
Thanks for the information on the possible DTV transition delay!

Now back to the original question. Anyone in this area of Western NC using an antenna for TV? If so, how well does it work?

Thanks!!

James

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM

122 posts, read 423,304 times
I can't help with your area, but I do remember my childhood and staying with relatives for the summer in Swain.
If the stars lined up and the winds blew at a certain speed and there was just enough cloud cover... you could just get WLOS It was a good evening when the tv could be watched.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 PM

366 posts, read 949,777 times
It's difficult to get any of the stations via over the air with the current analog broadcasts. Currently the stations are broadcasting both in analog and in digital but at a lower power on digital and from what I have seen on the local stations they are still planning on going through with the original february date as yesterday I saw informational commercials on at least 2 local stations mentioning the feb 17th deadline and that some people may temporarily lose their signal. One station (i'm trying to remember which one) said that if you live more than 45 miles from their transmitter at Caesars Head you will likely temporarily lose your signal as the digital transmission will not be at the same power as the old analog for a time. (not sure how long they mean by temporary but it seemed to imply several months or more)

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,378,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The U.S. Senate voted to push the Feb. 17 digital deadline to June 12 to give more time to people who are not yet prepared for the transition from analog to digital broadcasting. However, the legislation leaves open the option for television stations to cease broadcasting in analog on Feb. 17 if they wish. The U.S. House of Representatives, where some members oppose pushing the deadline back, must also approve the measure. President Obama is expected to approve the delay if the bill passes both.
The House, by a vote of 264 to 158, passed a Senate bill that would reset the death of analog TV to June 12, a measure President Obama is expected to sign.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:08 PM

609 posts, read 2,438,425 times
You might just be out of luck there with too many ridges blocking signals. Growing up on a hill overlooking the Piedmont to the south and east in Polk County, we could sometimes get stations from as far away as Augusta, Columbia, Greensboro, and Raleigh. Of course it wasn't a clear signal, but it was still there. Charlotte NBC and CBS stations came in perfect. But, we barely got Greenville stations due to a ridge to the southwest and couldn't get Asheville at all due to the top of our hill blocking Asheville's transmitter on Tryon Peak. Go figure.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,408,617 times
You may get strange results. I lived in South Asheville til about 6 months ago. With an antenna, I could pick up the Fox station out of Johnson City perfectly. I'd also pick up WLOS fine, Fox out of Greenville too. Never could pick up CBS out of Spartanburg, and the NBC out of Greenville was sporadic.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 AM

5,927 posts, read 16,694,539 times
My granddaddy could get 1 station OK...1 more really fuzzy...of course, this was back in the days when there were only 3 networks!

My other granddaddy only had a TV the last few years of his life. And he restricted his radio listening to "the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday night and 1 hour of sacred singin' on Sunday mornin'!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina