U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bad Florida driver outside of Blowing Rock can’t drive in the High Country Mountains, won’t move over and drives slow, blames other drivers, flips the bird

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 AM

586 posts, read 1,871,876 times

Advertisements

I want everyone to know in advance that this is a vent post, and that I am in a snarky mood due to middle age and menopause!

So, I'm leaving Blowing Rock this afternoon as usual, the roads are in good shape, dry or barely damp in places, lots of salt. I'm heading down 321 and out zips a Mercedes SUV from the BR business district. He's doing 25 to 30 in a 35, then we hit the 8% grade between BR and Blackberry Rd. He's still doing 30. I'm trying SO hard not to ride my brakes (posted is 45) and I get a little close, then brake, then close . . . he's STILL doing 30. We get to the "S" curves just below Blackberry, where the commuters have no trouble doing 35 (knowing the road well of course) and he's down to 20 then 15! I'm trying my very best to stay out of his tailpipe (we're still on an 8 to 9% grade), when down rolls the window (HIS window, lol), out comes the arm, and UP goes the middle finger, in a way that would make a New York taxi driver proud!!!! Unbelievable. BTW, there was a 3 axle delivery truck trying to stay out of MY tail pipe!! To his credit, the guy had the sense to pull over at Trader whatshisnames, the apple trap, and let us, and the dozen or so vehicles stuck behind us, go by. As we passed him, he's still waving that arm and finger, and the truck behind me gave him a loud blast on the horn as we went by . . . sweet! Since the construction workers were not working due to the extreme conditions, we all continued on our merry way at 55 mph (yeah ok, I do 65 on the straightaways to save my brakes (yeah, right!!!)).

I'm wondering . . . did all the drama make him feel better? I HOPE so, 'cause it sure didn't bother me one whit. I was just VERY grateful that he didn't force me to pass him down on the Richlands stretch . . .

Visitors, please understand, we're not trying to tailgate or to be rude. There's this thing called GRAVITY and some cars roll easier (faster) than others. 2nd gear in a Taurus makes no difference all all, my car still wants to do 45 down a steep grade. If you find someone on your butt, please just let them by at the first opportunity . . . minus the drama please?

Also, visitors, do yourselves (and your vehicle) a BIG favor . . . when leaving for the low country, don't ride your brakes the 8 miles of 9 % grade down the mountain. If you do, your brakes will be toast by the time you get to Lenoir or Wilkesboro. Use second gear (or 3rd if you're driving a 4 or 5 speed stick).

That's all I have to say, and I'm going to bed now. I'll be better tomorrow, I promise!! (Told you I was snarky today! LOL)

Love y'all!
Tracey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 06:04 AM

440 posts, read 1,030,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
I want everyone to know in advance that this is a vent post, and that I am in a snarky mood due to middle age and menopause!

Naaahhhh...you are good. I see your point about his pulling over and losing the drama....what did that prove anyway ....he is an idjit? I wonder what his hurry was to pull in front of you and then snail pace it the rest of the way? ~*~ Painted Lady

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM

670 posts, read 1,365,414 times
Did you notice what county in Florida the plates were from?

Driving around here is an adventure. It is worse when we have mega visitors from far away lands, but some of the locals aren't exactly skilled at driving, either. I see 25-30 in 45 zones fairly often, left turns at the nearby "no left turn" intersection and my all time favorite, some 95 year old man who proceeded straight through the intersection from the clearly marked left turn lane, and then got his Depends in a bunch when three of us blasted our horns at his brilliant move.

I keep thinking of the sergeant on the old Hill Street Blues show....."Be careful out there."

Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 AM

451 posts, read 1,492,470 times
My pet peeve is people that do not have their lights on when it is foggy up here. Parking lights are not the answer. It only makes you look further away then you actually are. Turn your lights on, please. and like Hymnsinger, please just pull off and let others go by, it is much safer for everyone.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM

586 posts, read 1,871,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Did you notice what county in Florida the plates were from?
ROTFLMBO!!! Actually, the Floridiots (Sorry, but I was one! hee,hee!) are far to terrified to get into drama. This guy was from Charlotte, lowland just the same.

Painted, Mule is right. It takes at least a year to learn to drive in the mountains, and some never do. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY who lives here full time will find themselves in a ditch eventually, either from a farm truck left of center on a blind curve (My SIL was in a ditch in a septic tanker!), ice (I totaled my truck on 4 lane 421 out near Mtn City), an animal in the road (I nearly hit an Angus cow at night doing 40!), or simple inattention (Like cell phones, or "Look at the pretty barn, kids!"). People are rarely hurt in thise cases (except ice) because most folks keep their speed down to 40 or less on those roads.

THIS guy thought I was deliberately trying to tailgate to rush him along and got pissed, that's all. Back in my Floridiot days, I probably would have thought the same. He had brought friends up to shop in BR and see the snow, and felt that he had every right to go as slow as he wanted to. I am really glad he sucked it up and pulled over. That is always the best, and safest, thing to do. Most of the old time mountain families carry guns in their trucks! LOL Good thing we're laid back in these parts.

Now my fingers are little fleshy icicles!
Have a great day!
Tracey

Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM

45,245 posts, read 95,609,702 times
Quote:

So, I'm leaving Blowing Rock this afternoon as usual, the roads are in good shape, dry or barely damp in places, lots of salt. I'm heading down 321 and out zips a Mercedes SUV from the BR business district. He's doing 25 to 30 in a 35, then we hit the 8% grade between BR and Blackberry Rd. He's still doing 30. I'm trying SO hard not to ride my brakes (posted is 45) and I get a little close, then brake, then close . . . he's STILL doing 30. We get to the "S" curves just below Blackberry, where the commuters have no trouble doing 35 (knowing the road well of course) and he's down to 20 then 15! I'm trying my very best to stay out of his tailpipe (we're still on an 8 to 9% grade), when down rolls the window (HIS window, lol), out comes the arm, and UP goes the middle finger, in a way that would make a New York taxi driver proud!!!! Unbelievable. BTW, there was a 3 axle delivery truck trying to stay out of MY tail pipe!! To his credit, the guy had the sense to pull over at Trader whatshisnames, the apple trap, and let us, and the dozen or so vehicles stuck behind us, go by. As we passed him, he's still waving that arm and finger, and the truck behind me gave him a loud blast on the horn as we went by . . . sweet! Since the construction workers were not working due to the extreme conditions, we all continued on our merry way at 55 mph (yeah ok, I do 65 on the straightaways to save my brakes (yeah, right!!!)).

I'm wondering . . . did all the drama make him feel better? I HOPE so, 'cause it sure didn't bother me one whit. I was just VERY grateful that he didn't force me to pass him down on the Richlands stretch . . .

Visitors, please understand, we're not trying to tailgate or to be rude. There's this thing called GRAVITY and some cars roll easier (faster) than others. 2nd gear in a Taurus makes no difference all all, my car still wants to do 45 down a steep grade. If you find someone on your butt, please just let them by at the first opportunity . . . minus the drama please?

Also, visitors, do yourselves (and your vehicle) a BIG favor . . . when leaving for the low country, don't ride your brakes the 8 miles of 9 % grade down the mountain. If you do, your brakes will be toast by the time you get to Lenoir or Wilkesboro. Use second gear (or 3rd if you're driving a 4 or 5 speed stick).

That's all I have to say, and I'm going to bed now. I'll be better tomorrow, I promise!! (Told you I was snarky today! LOL)

Love y'all!
Tracey

Tracey, it sickens me the way some visitors to our mountains just have NO CLUE how to be good guests. Makes me angry too.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM

35,881 posts, read 72,512,971 times
My parents live near that grade you are referring to, LOL. We have been dealing w/ idiot drivers at that spot for half a century. Just think how it was all along 321 when there were no passing lanes - ANYWHERE!!!!

HERE'S MY MESSAGE: If it scares your flatlander arse to drive in the High Country - STAY THE HELL AWAY!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
ROTFLMBO!!! Actually, the Floridiots (Sorry, but I was one! hee,hee!) are far to terrified to get into drama. This guy was from Charlotte, lowland just the same.

Painted, Mule is right. It takes at least a year to learn to drive in the mountains, and some never do. Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY who lives here full time will find themselves in a ditch eventually, either from a farm truck left of center on a blind curve (My SIL was in a ditch in a septic tanker!), ice (I totaled my truck on 4 lane 421 out near Mtn City), an animal in the road (I nearly hit an Angus cow at night doing 40!), or simple inattention (Like cell phones, or "Look at the pretty barn, kids!"). People are rarely hurt in thise cases (except ice) because most folks keep their speed down to 40 or less on those roads.

THIS guy thought I was deliberately trying to tailgate to rush him along and got pissed, that's all. Back in my Floridiot days, I probably would have thought the same. He had brought friends up to shop in BR and see the snow, and felt that he had every right to go as slow as he wanted to. I am really glad he sucked it up and pulled over. That is always the best, and safest, thing to do. Most of the old time mountain families carry guns in their trucks! LOL Good thing we're laid back in these parts.

Now my fingers are little fleshy icicles!
Have a great day!
Tracey

I am a cracker that admittedly is nervous in the turns. How long does it take to get over that? My Brother and his girlfriend lived for a few years in Tennessee........................lemme tell ya...........she had NO problem with flying around turns or up over blind hills!! I had to hold my breath and say a prayer. But I guess you just get used to it after awhile. btw...I do get over and don't hold others up. ~*~ Painted Lady

Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
your flatlander arse !

That made me laugh! I am trying to take notes of the nicknames...... ~*~ Painted Lady

Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM

4,166 posts, read 7,830,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catbirds View Post
my pet peeve is people that do not have their lights on when it is foggy up here.
amen!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>