U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,595,247 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a vet that practices alternative medicine in or around asheville.. Homeopathically, etc. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM

76 posts, read 309,776 times
I'm not aware of any. Try going to GreenLife and asking at the supplement section. I bet someone there would know.

I'll probably upset you by saying that I think you will be practicing research on your pet if you go this route. I feel the same way when it comes to humans too. Not much good research to support the claims. Maybe you can point me to an independent organization not funded by the "green industry" that has done solid research. I'm open to the idea but nobody has ever been able to "show me the money".
Lots of western medicine is poorly researched too. So please don't think I'm picking on the alternative idea alone.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM

108 posts, read 363,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Does anyone know of a vet that practices alternative medicine in or around asheville.. Homeopathically, etc. Thanks

I found an advertisement for one in Brevard that claims to be alternative, but I don't personally know anything about them. They have a website, but there's nothing there yet... riversongvet.com

Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaz View Post
I'm not aware of any. Try going to GreenLife and asking at the supplement section. I bet someone there would know.

I'll probably upset you by saying that I think you will be practicing research on your pet if you go this route. I feel the same way when it comes to humans too. Not much good research to support the claims. Maybe you can point me to an independent organization not funded by the "green industry" that has done solid research. I'm open to the idea but nobody has ever been able to "show me the money".
Lots of western medicine is poorly researched too. So please don't think I'm picking on the alternative idea alone.

Slaz....

actually i have been treating my pets and myself without western medicine for over 5 years and we are all very healthy.. I understand what you are saying so I will explain my side to you.....

First western medicine has been around about 120 years, traditional chinese medicine has been for over 2000 and ayurvedic medicine for over 5000 years.

Secondly, the entire concepts are confused. Western medicine treats illness not patients and causes. Sure i can take advil for a headache, but why not find out what caused it and make that better? Dont remove organs, make them work better again, etc.

Now for the research etc. The FDA in our country runs things, they want things there way or you lose. They want to isolate ingridients instead of using whole plants etc. But the big thing is this. The FDA will not regulate any food, drugs, etc etc that have not gone through double blind studies. This meaning that at least half the people with a problem will recieve nothing to help them, instead they get sugar pills. Thus the reason the fda does not regulate or approve other medicine is because other views of health find a large problem with giving sick people a sugar pill. They know things work because of years of showing it works. TCM would just give everyone the medicine and see that a large percent got better so it worked... Perhaps they are too used to medicine having extermely dangerous side effects, which natural medicine does not usually have.

I know people will argue with this but you can look this up. The AMA and drug companies are responsible for the decline of natural medicine. When the AMA was given a ton of money to "research" medical school by the drug companies you know what happened. At this point in time the schools were about 50/50 allopathic and naturopathic. then all of a sudden the report claimed that nearly none of the naturopathic schools were good. (they refused to use the drugs). Within years they had become almost obsolete.

It my personal opinion that peopl need to stand up and take control of their own health care. Stop letting drug companies and insurance companies dictate our care. There is more money spent on baldness, more on sexual disfunction, etc than there is on prostate cancer, malaria, etc. this isnt about our health its about money and it always will be as long as health care is a for profit industry.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:09 AM

hey glen thanks for the info, check her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina