Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times

Advertisements

hi all....will be in the area in a month and would like to visit locally popular, non-touristy, breakfast and dinner joints that serve honest, southern food....but not into catfish or crawdads....we like unchanged places with waitresses that call you "hun", for example....no chains with HQ out of town!....cheap is better than fancy.....just honest, good, real food where the locals go....the community coffee shop....BBQ, grits, sweet tea, etc.......thanks a lot....I also have this thread going in the Charlotte forum

also, trying to remember a cafeteria we went to in Asheville in 1987......my fuzzy recollection:

a cafeteria in Asheville - sorta new feeling at the time (mid-late 80s)....I think it was just south of the motel we were staying at (across a street)....I may be wrong, but I think it was in the east part of town, maybe a bit north of east.....on a little bit of a rise or hill, slightly....cafeteria was a little lower in elevation than the motel, but only a few feet and only just across a street.....fairly sure the cafeteria was south of the motel.....sort of a newly developed area at the time.....

we liked the cafeteria because the food was cheap, good, and the place was full of a great variety of mostly locals....young, old, business, family, etc.....

long shot, I know, but somebody may know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,405 times
The Moose cafe is a must, but I can't guarantee it will not be full of tourists. It is located near the Farmers' Market off exit 47 on I40.

The Wellbred bakery in Weaverville is also a good bet for lunch and a diet-busting sweet. I wouldn't call it southern food, though.

Nearer my neck of the woods is Kosta's on Hendersonville Road in Arden. They recently moved into a strip center (with the Post Office and Luella's BarBQ). They've been around a while. It's nothing fancy, but the food is good and it won't break the budget. Since it is out of the way you'll find locals and virtually no tourists.

I don't get to the west side very much, but I'm sure there are a ton of favorites over there. Unfortunately my daily/weekly routines don't take me there enough to know.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 28,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
also, trying to remember a cafeteria we went to in Asheville in 1987......
J & S Cafeteria?

http://www.jandscafeteria.com/

Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,071 times
Warning for those on a low salt restictions

Be careful if you eat at the Moose. My last meal there had enough salt in to to cure a whole side of bacon with enough left over for my meal. But if you're looking for a greasy spoon you'll surely find one there!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,524,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Warning for those on a low salt restictions

Be careful if you eat at the Moose. My last meal there had enough salt in to to cure a whole side of bacon with enough left over for my meal. But if you're looking for a greasy spoon you'll surely find one there!
That is true in 90%+ of the restaurants in this country.

Warning for patrons of the Moose Cafe, don't fill up on the cathead biscuits and apple butter before your meal is served.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,842 times
Early Girl Eatery on Wall Street in downtown Asheville. Great food, great service, nice atmosphere. Similar in feel to Tupelo Honey, but significantly better in my opinion. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They're all delicious.

Also, Sunny Point in West Asheville. Their dinners are good, but it's hard to top their breakfasts and lunches. Probably the best I have had in town. If you go on the weekend, get there when they open, or you will be waiting. Even if you have to wait, it's worth it. Absolutely amazing food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina