Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 05:56 AM

202 posts, read 715,984 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Old Fort and Nebo areas? How rural are they? Any health care or decent shopping nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 AM

116 posts, read 446,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
Can anyone tell me about the Old Fort and Nebo areas? How rural are they? Any health care or decent shopping nearby?
Hey Linda,
I don't know a ton about the area, but my husband says it is probably one of the best places to buy right now. It is still pretty affordable and very pretty!
Asheville is probably about 30 minutes from Old Fort, great restaurants decent shopping. For really big city shopping you would probably head to Charlotte about an hour and a half away. Hope this help. Good Luck.
Duke101

Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM

177 posts, read 972,336 times
Both are part of McDowell County with Marion being the county seat. Nebo is east of Marion and Old Fort is west.
Of the two, Old Fort would be a better fit. Nebo is unincorporated and has nothing but a Dollar General store. Nebo is 10 minutes from Marion and about 15 from Morganton, which has more options for shopping (Belk, Goody's, Lowe's, Staples).

Old Fort, which doesn't have much more than Nebo (but they're trying), is 10 minutes from Marion and 20 minutes from Asheville. Asheville obviously has the healthcare and shopping you're looking for. Old Fort does have a McDonalds and Hardees.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks jlrich and duke101!!! Your reply helps alot. We're looking to buy a few acres of land and trying to get info. on some areas that we're interested in. We'll be visiting the area in June. Do you know anything about Mill Spring or Leicester?

Linda

Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 PM

177 posts, read 972,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaIL View Post
Do you know anything about Mill Spring or Leicester?
I don't know much about those places other than being part of Asheville. If you don't mind the driving to Asheville to shop, etc. I will tell you that McDowell county has one of the lowest property tax rates in the state, and Buncombe county (Asheville) has one of the highest...if that makes any difference.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrich View Post
I don't know much about those places other than being part of Asheville. If you don't mind the driving to Asheville to shop, etc. I will tell you that McDowell county has one of the lowest property tax rates in the state, and Buncombe county (Asheville) has one of the highest...if that makes any difference.
Thanks jlrich! That's interesting to know!

Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina