Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailstothesea View Post
... I was over a few streets from the bus terminal pumping gas. I told a few mothers in a group I had joined and everyone was like, "oh my goodness, be careful over there!" My first thoughts were, "are they kidding?" ....
Because it's a known crime hotspot. You can look it up on the map of crimes the APD puts out. Not as bad as Hillcrest or Pisgah View, etc., but still has more activity there than other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

107 posts, read 249,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Because it's a known crime hotspot. You can look it up on the map of crimes the APD puts out. Not as bad as Hillcrest or Pisgah View, etc., but still has more activity there than other areas.
Which I realize ten years later, but when I first moved here it was nothing next to what I was used to in S Fla where people get murdered, robbed, and raped on a daily basis. I was at that Hot Spot pumping gas, I still don't feel intimidated over in that area though.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
West Asheville is the place to be, has all the underlying culture of downtown asheville without the tourism, but downtown is still a short bike ride away across the river. Don't go to a car relient outskirts, booooo.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
A house usually has multiple rooms we collectively call "home." For us, downtown Asheville is our alternate kitchen and dining room, rec room, and business center. Like most other people, we sleep outside in a "bedroom community," but our "home" includes downtown. It's especially important to us for its arts and architecture.

We're proud of our downtown! We think it's beautiful! We visited in the early 1990s, when much of it was boarded up, and have seen tremendous progress since then. It gets better all the time. Pack Square--have you seen it lately?--is a real gem!

Some of you keep talking about hippies and homeless, druggies and thugs. We don't doubt your word--but we have yet to see them in downtown Asheville except occasionally in Pritchard Park--and what we've seen there are the harmless sort. It's worth noting that Pritchard Park itself is a work in progress, still being cleaned up and beautified.

Last evening we were downtown from 6:45 to almost midnight. We paid $2.25(!) for parking in the Rankin St. garage, right next to the NC Stage Co.'s production of "The Beauty Queen of Leenane," which sold out for $6.00(!) a ticket ("or what you can pay"). The best part: We have not seen better acting or staging anywhere in our lives--not in San Diego, not even in London. The four-member cast deserved their loud standing ovation. All this in a 2002 building with excellent theatre seating for an audience of only a hundred!! Because we arrived early, we got to sit front row center next to nice, friendly people. It doesn't get any better than that.

Afterwards we felt safe walking to "The Vault" for a guinness and enjoyed the people there, including the bartenders, very much. Around midnight, we walked in peace back to the parking garage. Asheville's streets are well lit and well peopled, even mid-week. We are careful to be aware of our surroundings (hubby was in law enforcement). We saw no hippies, homeless, druggies, or thugs.

The malls supplement the many stores and shops downtown. It's all good.

Arden, Biltmore Village, Montford, etc. are great little bedroom communities with lots of good businesses in them as well, but they can't compete with the riches of downtown. I don't know about you, but we feel lucky to enjoy BIG-city amenities in a small, friendly, safe, and accessible downtown. We can't wait to enjoy Shindig on the Green at Pack Square next summer!!
Couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks!

I live near Beaver Lake with Downtown 2 miles south on Merrimon Avenue. I wouldn't want to live far from Downtown as it is the heart of what makes Asheville Asheville. There are several distinct areas surrounding the city center, each with it's own distinctive personality- from conservative to hipster and singlewide to mansion. This variety creates a very diverse community. I once lived in Irvine, CA. It was considered one of the safest places to live in the USA. And it was as sterile a place I've ever experienced. So perfect I had to leave. Asheville can be a bit gritty, but it's authentic and it's cradled amongst some of the oldest mountains on earth. I'd be bored without downtown.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailstothesea View Post
S Fla where people get murdered, robbed, and raped on a daily basis.
That's almost anywhere you go in today's world. I can't live in cities anymore, or even be in them for an extended period of time. I found that small towns have a better vibe to them, but then again I'm not a people person.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
Downtown anywhere is pretty similarly viewed by the local population:
Some love it, spend a lot of time in it, and do not understand how anybody could not want to be near/in the midst of it,
Some people tolerate it and go there for specific places/events, and infrequently to just wander,
Some people avoid it at all costs.

Downtown Asheville is no different in that respect.

I think we fall in the second group, here in Casa Mule. Maybe trending toward the last group in the height of tourist season.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:30 PM

25 posts, read 31,040 times
Default Oh my goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Cancer adds diversity to health, but doesn't mean it is desirable

I live in Hendersonville and have no hesitations about driving into Asheville by myself...a lone woman. It offers more diversity which enhances our understanding of differences. I am totally impressed with the artistic community; it has artists from all over the world.

I attended a drum circle downtown. Yes, there were homeless people there, but I was not pestered over and over for money, etc. A polite "sorry" is easily accepted by many homeless. If not for the Grace of God, some day we may find ourselves in dire straits. You might be surprised about these people's backgrounds and life stories.

Too bad you don't care to learn about other cultures, people who have different points of view because it can be a positive growth experience. I always told my students that the minute you stop learning is the minute you begin to die.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,866 times
tondra, I totally agree with you.

I take my young children downtown a lot and had never anything happen. yes, there are homeless people and I am actually glad, my children have a chance to see that (in suburb bubbles you won't ....), talk to us about it, talk to them and make contact. homeless people are part (or the consequence !) of our society and are not a threat in any way. you don't have to communicate with them - but you can and I honestly NEVER had a unpleasant experience in any way.

I love the drum circle. everybody seems to have a great time. It's a nice mix of so many different people of all ages, it's outside, it's music, it's free. and somehow even the protestants belong there - although they tell us how close we are to hell on a daily basis .

if we won't diversity, we can't just have the whipped cream on top of a cappuchino - we have to face the whole thing - and that's ok.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM

172 posts, read 289,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVT View Post
Having looked at the map on some of these mentioned hotspots, it appears that some are self-contained developments with a single entrance. Would you not have to be intentionally going into the these places to be involved with the concerning activities? I would like to hear about how the proximity of these named areas relates to the 'hotspots' outside of them and to the downtown / RAD areas in regard to looking for a place that might be a quick walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina