Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 04:07 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,854,708 times

Advertisements

We live just outside Jonesborough, TN and often shop at Ingles as it is the closest to our home. It's not our favorite grocery store, but we have no complaints about it. It is a fairly nice store, we prefer it to Food City. My wife works at the VA Hospital in Johnson City which is right near a Krogers. Krogers is unquestionably the nicest grocery store in the area. We moved here from Florida and always shopped at Publix down there. The Krogers up here is even nicer than the Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,507,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
We live just outside Jonesborough, TN and often shop at Ingles as it is the closest to our home. It's not our favorite grocery store, but we have no complaints about it. It is a fairly nice store, we prefer it to Food City. My wife works at the VA Hospital in Johnson City which is right near a Krogers. Krogers is unquestionably the nicest grocery store in the area. We moved here from Florida and always shopped at Publix down there. The Krogers up here is even nicer than the Publix.

I was just telling my husband the other night that I will miss Publix. I haven't seen a Krogers in our area but once I move up there I will look for one.Do they have a variety of foods and other staples to chose from?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 AM

20 posts, read 79,577 times
Publix is amazing.......

We can only dream.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakera View Post
Publix is amazing.......

We can only dream.

When we moved from Ca 3 years ago I thought nothing would replace Safeway a great supermarket. I then got use to Publix we have two within three miles. One new and the other one older. If I can't find something at one Publix the other one carries it.
I am sure I will find a good market and a Super Walmart will be there soon.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:21 PM

366 posts, read 1,013,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
When we moved from Ca 3 years ago I thought nothing would replace Safeway a great supermarket. I then got use to Publix we have two within three miles. One new and the other one older. If I can't find something at one Publix the other one carries it.
I am sure I will find a good market and a Super Walmart will be there soon.
Walmart is the devil....I only shop there if I can't find it anywhere else. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
Walmart is the devil....I only shop there if I can't find it anywhere else. Otherwise I avoid it like the plague.
Why? The supermarkets that we have near us do not carry all we need. We could do without but I was hopeing that walmart would have everything.We only shopped at a super walmart a few times when we were up in a Holiday Inn when we were looking for homes in NC and it seemed OK and it was new but I didn't check the whole supermarket out then to tired.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 PM

366 posts, read 1,013,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
Why? The supermarkets that we have near us do not carry all we need. We could do without but I was hopeing that walmart would have everything.We only shopped at a super walmart a few times when we were up in a Holiday Inn when we were looking for homes in NC and it seemed OK and it was new but I didn't check the whole supermarket out then to tired.
I avoid walmart because they have sold out to China more than most other companies. They account for 25% of all items imported from China. I understand people buying there if they have something that you need that isn't readily available for reasonable prices elsewhere. I just try to avoid shopping there when possible.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,421,963 times
Gee the last time I checked I saw a free market system at work, go where you want to shop, avoid where you object to something, or whatever criteria you may use to make decisions

Now wouldn't you think with this rule the one that provides the best service/value/experience will do the best??????
(remember this is a free market environment)

And which chain is on top? You know vote with your wallet

And why all the chatter about "back where we came from.....yada yada yada.............." you ain't there, you are here and those stores ain't here.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Gee the last time I checked I saw a free market system at work, go where you want to shop, avoid where you object to something, or whatever criteria you may use to make decisions

Now wouldn't you think with this rule the one that provides the best service/value/experience will do the best??????
(remember this is a free market environment)

And which chain is on top? You know vote with your wallet

And why all the chatter about "back where we came from.....yada yada yada.............." you ain't there, you are here and those stores ain't here.

You are right when you say "backwhere we come from" and I do belive in my post I said when I moved from one state to the next state I thought I wouldn't find a supermaket like I had been going to but I did and I will in NC also.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:10 PM

189 posts, read 447,177 times
Does anyone know if Whole Foods will be entering the Asheville market anytime soon? When I'm in the area of one here in Houston, I get the air-chilled boneless chicken breasts and freeze a bunch. They are cheaper than the organic ones but the taste is better than any I've found to date in commercial grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina