Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,503,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthfaries View Post
We moved from Asheville to Florida in Jan. and let me tell you all the years I lived in Asheville I wished we had a Publix!
The closest one is on the way to Greenville, I enjoyed stopping there on my visits to Greenville and of course to Florida.
Let me tell you now that I shop exclusively at Publix it is SO much better than Ingles! They actually put items on sale that you need and use and they are just overall much better.
I will keep crossing my fingers for a Publix to come to Asheville!
When I shopped at Publix I never had to go from store to store for the best price. I could just walk the aisles and get what I wanted. I am not going to greenville to save money because the gas would put me over budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM

39 posts, read 118,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I tend to agree with you. Have lived in Asheville for five years now and am underwhelmed by Ingles. Employees are not friendly, for the most part and lazy on top of it, and I hate to say it, but they do not hire the brightest bulbs compared to Harris Teeter and the organic grocery stores. We usually shop at Harris Teeter as I live in South Asheville and only go to Ingles when necessary or convenient. All I know is that their stock price is going through the roof, so they must be doing something right, as much as it pains me to admit it.

I also agree with you on Bi-Lo, my wife and I were just talking the other night about how we can see Bi-Lo exiting the Asheville market. The employees and management there are as lazy as the Ingles employees, and the store has a dark, dreary feel about it. I had heard that Publix wanted to enter the market, but Ingles did something to dissuade them, not sure if that's true or not, but I heard that about a year ago.
Just to let you know, Ingles has MORE grocery stores in georgia THAN nc! Yet publix is down in the state as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

23 posts, read 88,755 times
There are grocery stores in Asheville that are wonderful, but are not in direct competition with Ingles. They exist fine and have tons of shoppers. Some are less costly, some cost more. Yet Ingles is basically the only big supermarket chain? This is what raises a red flag with me. There are enough people here and there is enough commerce that there *SHOULD* be more big supermarket options.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,000,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon419 View Post
There are enough people here and there is enough commerce that there *SHOULD* be more big supermarket options.
*shrug* As someone who works at the corporate level of a grocery chain, I've learned some of the dynamics of store placement. Ingles seems to dominate that part of NC, so other chains (Food Lion/Lowes/Harris Teeter for NC-based stores) just don't see any profit incentive to have a large presence. Overall, if you want to know who keeps the chains out and reduces consumer choices, it's WALMART. That store presents the most competition to all other chains. Not that the competition is all bad, the Big 3 North Carolina chains have had to take another look at their marketing concepts to meet the competition of lower prices that WM touts and do what is necessary to keep their customer base. But, shopping for food at Walmart is like nailing the coffin on consumer choices.

Wal-Mart Supercenter versus the Traditional Supermarket

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,399,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
But, shopping for food at Walmart is like nailing the coffin on consumer choices.
Well in this economy, the supermarkets better get competitive. People really don't care about the bottom line of Ingles, BiLo, or any other chain, they are too busy worrying about their own bottom line. Families won't give up one dinner a week just to keep Bob Ingle happy, they will do what they deem necessary to take care of their family.

A large portion of our grocery store dollars are spent at Sam's, for the simple reason the money goes 20 to 50% further depending on the item, for the same item on the shelf at Ingles.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 PM

23 posts, read 88,755 times
I love ALDI. It's all house-brand stuff but it has always been good quality, exponentially better than laura lynn. been shopping there for years and know others who have, too.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,218 times
Thumbs up you speak the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
WHY is that atttiude everywhere?

That should be the question asked by those newly arrived.

I think this might be the problem with some,they feel THEY should dictate how things should be in their new home,especially when their numbers increase.

On some forums I visit there are people who move to the country and then complain about the very 'country-ness'(my new word) of the place-the dirt roads,the smells, the animals, and of course the farming.

That is quite bizarre to me but somehow these people feel that the area should conform to them.

Modern society and most of it's members have become VERY selfish and it is the person that comes first and everyone else can change to suit them.

Would people move to a unspoiled tropical paradise that is totally different from their home and then complain??

Well actually I think the answer would be YES they would.

Oh and the other sticker is "If it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?"....
I know this is an old post but I had to write. you are awesome ,you rock and I could not agree more with your post.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 AM

39 posts, read 118,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I tend to agree with you. Have lived in Asheville for five years now and am underwhelmed by Ingles. Employees are not friendly, for the most part and lazy on top of it, and I hate to say it, but they do not hire the brightest bulbs compared to Harris Teeter and the organic grocery stores. We usually shop at Harris Teeter as I live in South Asheville and only go to Ingles when necessary or convenient. All I know is that their stock price is going through the roof, so they must be doing something right, as much as it pains me to admit it.

I also agree with you on Bi-Lo, my wife and I were just talking the other night about how we can see Bi-Lo exiting the Asheville market. The employees and management there are as lazy as the Ingles employees, and the store has a dark, dreary feel about it. I had heard that Publix wanted to enter the market, but Ingles did something to dissuade them, not sure if that's true or not, but I heard that about a year ago.
I do agree with you, but since I still work at ingles in woodland hills (justnorth of asheville) as a first job, and you do business with me, you will think: "man, everyone that works at ingles is not as bad as him".

Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM

243 posts, read 474,487 times
I don't think the workers are any worse then any other stores. Most of the workers of any area reflect the area much more then the store. Ingles is one of the most successful and profitable small grocery chains in the country right now, despite the problems with the economy. It can't be that bad. In Asheville, it is hard to find good service, no matter where you are at. In fact, with every place that I have lived....Asheville has by far the worst service of any area....it's actually quite pathetic.

Side note....you won't see a Publix in NC or an Ingles in Florida. The founders of these companies made a gentleman's agreement to not enter the home state of the other company. This is why you see lots of borderline Publix stores with NC, but no stores in NC.

Some of the Asheville stores are a little run down as they were the original stores. Some have been redone and some haven't. The ones that haven't are due to land issues and inability to expand. Right now there are plans to build two more in Asheville and I think to close 1 down once these are built. I try at all cost to stay out of Walmart unless absolutely needed.....and another Walmart is going up in Asheville/Candler within 2 years....the property has been bought. We pass by one Ingles to go to another because some of the stores need an update. However, some of the stores are very nice and they are fairly competitive. Some of the stores have a pretty decent organic and/or local selection as well.

Not sure what the fascination is with Harris Teeter. Before we lived here we lived in Matthews, and that's all there was....and it sucked. Little selection and was very overpriced. We had to go there for much of our produce because of options, but we weren't happy about it.

I had to edit several time to get it to make sense...in the hospital on hydromorphone for a kidney stone...and thoughts aren't exactly all cohesive.

Last edited by oneluckymug; 05-12-2009 at 12:40 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 AM

415 posts, read 1,142,902 times
I've frequently heard the same story about a "gentleman's agreement" between Publix and Harris Teeter as well. Pretty sure this is just an urban myth. In the most recent new article I saw about Publix coming to NC, the obstacle of building a distribution center was mentioned, but nothing else. Publix and Ingles are privately owned, but Harris Teeter is part of a publicly traded company.

Not to mention that Harris Teeter already has stores in Florida (Jacksonville area). Ingles and Publix are already competing in several markets.

Last edited by Comfort Food; 05-18-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina