Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM

758 posts, read 2,280,416 times

Advertisements

That's the one, cooperwx--on Spartanburg Highway. We appreciate everything about that store (including its clean restrooms)! Even the Teeter's brand tomatoes--Teeter's Farmers Market, I think the sticker reads--are vine-ripened and tasty. The only tomatoes we've found that are tastier are the "heirlooms" at Greenlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 PM

70 posts, read 218,829 times
We can't wait to shop at Ingles instead of Publix. Ingles is the combo of Publix, Fresh Market and Whole Foods that we have been waiting for. We visited our local Ingales last trip and we were blown away by the selection.

Leaving South Florida for Asheville area is going to be a joy to food shop.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,423,668 times
What most people that gripe about Ingles probably don't realize is that Ingles got its start in Asheville with one store. Bob Ingle is a local boy done good. When a new store opens, he goes there and bags groceries for customers. He goes to the stores and talks to employees one on one, and customers.

And of course there are those that just can't be pleased, so just go shop elsewhere and get over yourself.

PS: I have no affiliation with Ingles, and we very seldom shop at Ingles, you know the free market system.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 PM

485 posts, read 555,157 times
Good thread. Our "local boy made good" stores are Bashas. They are costly and not the best, but the local guy, Eddie Basha, started them...

That said, we shop several places:

COSTCO (there isn't one in Western NC, but there is one in Charlotte). The milk there is about $2.50 a gallon - 40% or more less than elsewhere. Lots of other good prices if you buy in bulk.

Sprouts - this is an AZ market that centers on produce. Theirs is the best we have ever found outside a Farmer's Market and the prices are great. I buy broccoli crowns for 88 cents a pound quite often and fruit from 69 to 89 cents a pound. Bananas are almost always 47-49 cents a pound. Everything is cheaper than anywhere else.

Being vegetarian, we get most of our things along that line at Trader Joes. It is like Earth Fare, but to be honest, much better and much cheaper. I get my soy products, no fat cheeses, and lots of veggies there along with frozen fruit for my smoothies.

And then I also hit Walmart Supercenter for some things. Knowing prices, I can get a few products like cereal and some soy items cheaper there than anywhere.

I only go to Frys (owned by Kroger) or Bashas when the ads have "loss leaders" that I can buy in bulk and freeze.

When we visited NC in August, I was dismayed that the prices were so much higher for food than here. Everything on the internet said they were cheaper. No so. I compared.

And I agree: the Ingles produce was horrendous. Expensive and very bad quality. I was amazed anyone would shop there.

My wife and I are talking about buying a place where we can have our own garden. Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, squash, etc. Not too tough to grow and a lot better that the store. A few fruit trees, too, like apples and peaches and apricots.

Thanks for the thread.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 680,880 times
Default It's true, it's true!

When Bob Ingles does the tv commercial with the shopper thanking Ingles for bringing selection to small town/rural areas, he speaks the truth.

Spend some time in the less affluent parts of WNC or North GA and you are likely to see that Ingles has heavily invested in the only supermarket in the area.

As an example: In Murphy, Ingles in early 2002, again invested in a new building. Supermarket-wise, you have the Super Wal-Mart and Ingles for your choice. I was always very satisifed with Ingles' cleanliness, selection and help. In addition, their yellow-containered milk will still be good for even a week after the expiration date. This comes from someone who used to milk dairy cows and Guernseys at that. Try that with your Kroger's or Publix milk - it will go sour before or at the expiration date.

If you live in Marshall, in Madison County, you can chose between Ingles and .... Oh, that's right, Ingles is the only supermarket who invested in Marshall and the whole of Madison county. And they did this years ago. Such that, when they built a near store across the street in Marshall, the old building became the county's administrative offices annex. Of course, the brand new Ingles on Leicester Highway in Leicester was usually closer, and again, the only supermarket until... that's right, the Ingles at Patton Avenue (much older and not on my favorites list.)

Move to Caldwell County and what do you have? A nice but older and relatively more expensive Lowes Food Market, and other older style, less selection stores. If you want the best in the area, go to the Baton area where once again, Bob Ingles put in a very nice store and has the lowest gas prices in all of western NC (when using the card.)

All of these stores have the unusual selections, such as fresh mangoes, most of which never are sold, or many other items with which there is not a large demand for, but are available at the Ingles. I guess this is part of the reason that Ingles is such a major contributor to Second Harvest.

So while Ingles does not have all of what I used to be able to get at Krogers, Big Stars, Harris Teeters, Fresh Markets, Publix, etc., when I lived near the "big cities," of the Triangle, Triad, or Atlanta, Bob Ingles has been committed to the less populated rural area around western NC.

Surely, that is worth something and for that I say: Thank you Bob Ingles, for bringing big city selection to rural NC!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 PM

7,974 posts, read 10,543,325 times
I always like the Food Lion for my "basic" grocery shopping when I lived in North Carolina, but Harris Teeter could not be beat for produce, and hard to find gourmet type items and deli meats and cheeses. Also, just to let you know, if there is a Bi-Lo near you, that chain is not American owned any more (it is owned by a company in Great Britian), and I stopped shopping there due to that reason. (And Wal-mart produce? Yuck, forget it).

Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 AM

652 posts, read 2,694,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
COSTCO (there isn't one in Western NC, but there is one in Charlotte).
One just opened in Spartanburg, S.C. Not exactly close for most in WNC, but closer than Charlotte. It's only 25 miles for me, but I haven't been yet.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:24 AM

758 posts, read 2,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
What most people that gripe about Ingles probably don't realize is that Ingles got its start in Asheville with one store. Bob Ingle is a local boy done good. When a new store opens, he goes there and bags groceries for customers. He goes to the stores and talks to employees one on one, and customers.

And of course there are those that just can't be pleased, so just go shop elsewhere and get over yourself.

PS: I have no affiliation with Ingles, and we very seldom shop at Ingles, you know the free market system.
I apologize, Asheville Native. If I had known that Mr. Ingle was a local man, I would have kept my opinion of his produce to myself. I am sorry if I offended you. We shop, by the way, at Ingles for lots of things--just not produce. Peace.

Jan

Old 11-17-2007, 09:15 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,423,668 times
This thread is a perfect example of "back where we came from we could .......................".

Well if that is such a big deal, the choices are clear:

Move back to where you came from
or start your own grocery store chain to correct the egregious wrong of having to shop at the stores that are here, (or what ever the topic of the day of what is wrong here).
or just keep you yap shut.

I'm sure your momma taught you that if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:38 AM

485 posts, read 555,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This thread is a perfect example of "back where we came from we could .......................".

Well if that is such a big deal, the choices are clear:

Move back to where you came from
or start your own grocery store chain to correct the egregious wrong of having to shop at the stores that are here, (or what ever the topic of the day of what is wrong here).
or just keep you yap shut.

I'm sure your momma taught you that if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing.
Gee, take a chill pill.

We each have only the examples of where we lived to state, good or bad. I don't know why the truth upsets you, but the truth is, the produce at Ingles, in the experience of some of us, was awful. That's just the fact.

This forum is for sharing ideas and experiences. No one is saying NC should be Florida or California or Arizona or anywhere else. We are sharing our experiences.

Please don't tell people to shut up. We need all voices here. Those things you do not like, you certainly may counter and tell your side of the story. But every voice is welcome here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina