U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 PM

758 posts, read 2,257,907 times

Advertisements

AMEN, Father John.

(And it's RAINING here in H'ville at 1:00 AM. So who could sleep with THAT going on??? ha ha)

For rain--and for YOU, Father John--we give thanks!

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 05:34 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,917,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I always like the Food Lion for my "basic" grocery shopping when I lived in North Carolina, ...... if there is a Bi-Lo near you, that chain is not American owned any more (it is owned by a company in Great Britian), and I stopped shopping there due to that reason.
Ummm ... Food Lion falls under the Delhaize umbrella. Delhaize is based in Belgium

Old 11-22-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
No offense to anyone here who might live there, but I've yet to meet anyone from BF that didn't have a "holier than though" attitude towards everyone else around them.
Second post down Heh.
//www.city-data.com/forum/weste...asheville.html

I'm curious about what part of Asheville Harry Anderson moved to. Researching, I found that he has made appearances in the area since moving there Furman: Engaged Learning at a Leading Liberal Arts University (http://www.furman.edu/press/pressarchive.cfm?ID=4055 - broken link)

He sounds like the kind of fellow who would be very agreeable to meet.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 AM

366 posts, read 1,002,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Upscale communities like Biltmore Forest (southwest Asheville, near town and Biltmore House, beautifully forested but without views) are often tagged as arrogant, highbrow, supercilious, condescending, etc., because doctors, dentists, lawyers, realtors, and other higher-income people can afford to live there--but what an unfair generalization!! Our wonderful, down-to-earth, hard-working Asheville realtor lives there. She's a classy lady, but there's no hint of "holier than thou" in her. Recently we attended a gathering in BF, hosted by a doctor's widow--again, nothing but generous hospitality and down-to-earth goodness in her and her many friends present. Her home was "well appointed" but not ostentatious.

I think such generalizations are sad.

Jan
Not everyone there is a stuck up snob. I'm sure there are plenty of nice people there. I just have yet to meet one. There's a number apples there and they make much more noise than the rest(and probably majority) of the people who just go about their business quietly.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Number of bad apples I mean. Left out a few words by mistake. They really need to have a button for editing posts you already made like I have seen other places.

Damn it....must have been something just screwy on my screen cause I can sure edit everything now.

Last edited by Zooropa; 11-24-2007 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
too funny ...

Old 11-25-2007, 05:06 AM

187 posts, read 1,012,787 times
Quote:
Second post down Heh.
//www.city-data.com/forum/weste...asheville.html

I'm curious about what part of Asheville Harry Anderson moved to. Researching, I found that he has made appearances in the area since moving there Furman: Engaged Learning at a Leading Liberal Arts University (http://www.furman.edu/press/pressarchive.cfm?ID=4055 - broken link)

He sounds like the kind of fellow who would be very agreeable to meet.
He lives in Montford, near someone I work with. I have heard from her and her husband that he is a very nice guy. Good sense of humor (obviously) and very down to earth. They do say that his house is oddly decorated, though...

Old 11-27-2007, 11:32 PM
NCN

21,254 posts, read 25,017,113 times
Quote:
Ummm ... Food Lion falls under the Delhaize umbrella. Delhaize is based in Belgium
That is who owns Food Lion now, but it was started by a man who used to be a Winn Dixie bag boy in Monroe, N. C., or so I have been told. That is why its headquarters is in Salisbury. I guess its main headquarters must be in Belgium now. Delhaize bought it a couple of years back.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Delhaize bought it a couple of years back.
Decades ago, actually. Delhaize acquired its initial stake back in the 70s; owns the company today

History

Quote:
1974-1975
Expansion abroad was directed towards the United States, which constituted a new horizon through the acquisition of a share in the Food Town Stores chain, which was operating 22 supermarkets in North and South Carolina
FL has an interesting history from my research:
Companies Prosper by Chasing Change Across Decades

I read that the founders were recently honored at the Salisbury home office with a building named for them on Harrison Road.

The American grocery operations is directed from the Salisbury support office; the company seems to have profited by getting away from the "home town" direction. Past president Tom Smith, if I recall local gossip, married the daughter of one of the founders. The current president/CEO is a former Hannaford director, out of Maine.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 40,700 times
Default ingles is awsome!!!

I dont no why so many dont like ingles. Its alot better than publix or kroger. I know that because those are the only places I can go grocery shopping when I'm at college in Atlanta. In my small town Ingles is biulding its grocery store as big as wal-mart. I know that those Ingles in Asheville are run down and have trouble competing with the fresh food stores. Thats why you need a new one. Until then go to the farmers market in the area it has better fruit and vegetables, and is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina