U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,893,783 times

Advertisements

A friend and I are going to be in this area probably Saturday and would love some recommendations of where to eat. I'm thinking I might want fresh trout but we could try anywhere if the food is really great!

Also can you recommend any must-sees? We're basically just driving up from G'ville, SC for the day.

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM

692 posts, read 1,563,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
A friend and I are going to be in this area probably Saturday and would love some recommendations of where to eat. I'm thinking I might want fresh trout but we could try anywhere if the food is really great!

Also can you recommend any must-sees? We're basically just driving up from G'ville, SC for the day.

Thanks so much!
Try My fathers Pizza in Blk Mtn.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 PM

243 posts, read 403,342 times
Are you looking for lunch or supper.....how much are you wanting to spend.....just black mountain or Asheville area

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 AM

758 posts, read 2,139,949 times
To be honest, we haven't found "really great" food in Montreat/Black Mountain. When we do eat there, we choose Que Sera or Thai Basil—but don't expect atmosphere. These are little cafe-type spots. The food is definitely good, but not "really great."

In downtown Asheville, we recommend:

Vincenzo's for genuine, excellent Italian in a real “dinner house” with warm, cozy atmosphere.
index

Outback Steakhouse (among the best steaks we've found anywhere, may have your trout, too)
30 Tunnel Rd., 828.252.4510
Outback Steakhouse

Papas & Beer for Mexican—recently opened a consistently packed new restaurant on Tunnel Road
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cl...54011413802255

Laughing Seed for an excellent vegetarian menu—well prepared food, cozy dinnerhouse--with an Irish pub (often featuring live music) just down the inside staircase (lol)
Laughing Seed Café - Home

“Must-sees” for visitors include the Biltmore House, the Grove Park Inn, downtown Asheville, Black Mountain, and of course the Blue Ridge Parkway and Great Smokey Mountains National Park....

Enjoy your visit!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. My friend and I were coming up from G'ville, SC. We usually go for a drive up to the mtns at least once a year. We've been to Asheville many times so were hoping to maybe eat in the area we were driving to. From looking online the area doesn't offer much but from what I researched for lunch it looked like the possibilities might be Coach House Seafood and Steak (is that still there?), Father's Pizza and maybe Phil's BBQ Pit? Does Montreat have any restaurants? I don't see any from looking online. If we opted to pack a lunch instead since slim pickings on restaurants, where is the best place to find to eat outside? Thanks so much!! ....and if anyone can recommend a 'must see' in the area I'd appreciate it.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 AM

5,326 posts, read 8,422,487 times
The Red Rocker Inn in Black Mountain is known for it's dinners. But you do need a reservation, I believe. It's a bit pricey, but a great meal in a beautiful old Inn.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:53 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,931,907 times
I agree about Red Rocker. Here is a link to their website.
Black Mountain NC Restaurants - Red Rocker Inn Dining

Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks so much ladies. We'll have to try that place out one day. We were only looking for lunch though. I've about decided that we'll just eat at Lake Lure at La Strada which overlooks the lake. It's on our way up the Black MTn Rag scenic road.

We figured we'll hit that at 11:30am when it opens and have lunch and then head on up the Black Mtn/Montreat.

We laughed and decided that when we get to Montreat we'll have to go and pick up Billy Graham and take him out for ice cream for his b'day. Saturday will be his 91st birthday.

If we get to Lake Lure early is there something we can do to pass the time? I see a boardwalk mentioned but don't know anything about that. Is there a drive surrounding lake lure we can take or is the public just basically stuck down by the restaurants/boat areas?

Thanks! Sorry for so many questions but no too much info online except for cottages, real estates, etc.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

108 posts, read 355,994 times
[quote=the Parkies;11505638]To be honest, we haven't found "really great" food in Montreat/Black Mountain. When we do eat there, we choose Que Sera or Thai Basil—but don't expect atmosphere. These are little cafe-type spots. The food is definitely good, but not "really great."

Vincenzo's for genuine, excellent Italian in a real “dinner house” with warm, cozy atmosphere.
index

Curious about your take on Vincenzo's, Parkies. We ate there last spring (2008), and had an EXCELLENT dinner! But there was an announcement on each table that they were going to allow cigar smoking beginning at 9 PM each night starting that weekend. So that was the end for us. That nasty smoke just doesn't go away, and I can't imagine eating in a building that allows it. What was your experience (or are you cigar smokers... LOL)?

Back on the topic, what is wrong with Black Mountain Bistro? Been there twice and haven't had a bad meal... if not outstanding.

Also looking forward to hearing more about Lake Lure... haven't been there yet but dining on the water sounds good to us CT shoreline transplants!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:07 PM

758 posts, read 2,139,949 times
[quote=glenzx2;11516356]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
To be honest, we haven't found "really great" food in Montreat/Black Mountain. When we do eat there, we choose Que Sera or Thai Basil—but don't expect atmosphere. These are little cafe-type spots. The food is definitely good, but not "really great."

index

Curious about your take on Vincenzo's, Parkies. We ate there last spring (2008), and had an EXCELLENT dinner! But there was an announcement on each table that they were going to allow cigar smoking beginning at 9 PM each night starting that weekend. So that was the end for us. That nasty smoke just doesn't go away, and I can't imagine eating in a building that allows it. What was your experience (or are you cigar smokers... LOL)?

Back on the topic, what is wrong with Black Mountain Bistro? Been there twice and haven't had a bad meal... if not outstanding.

Also looking forward to hearing more about Lake Lure... haven't been there yet but dining on the water sounds good to us CT shoreline transplants!
(I know your question about Lake Lure wasn't directed to me, and we haven't been there yet.)

We can hardly wait to dine at Vincenzo's now to find out how they hold down the cigar smell all day but allow it by night. Maybe they know something hotels don't... If it stinks when we walk in, we'll walk out. If enough people walk out, they'll change the new policy.

I didn't mention the Bistro in Black Mountain because we've been there only once and were disappointed. The meatloaf, while delicious and very generously portioned, was coarse as if mixed with buffalo meat or something. I've never eaten a meatloaf like that and kept wondering what was in it. The vegetables were cremated and drowned in butter--I couldn't even eat them. The service was slow, and I was hungry (the place was busy). However, we like to think that our experience was probably not representative. We fully intend to return, and this time we'll ask about the entree and request vegies lightly cooked without butter. The prices at the Bistro are reasonable, the ambience is homey, and the people couldn't be nicer.

In contrast: We were disgusted with an experience we had recently with a restaurant on Hendersonville Road just south of Asheville. Lots of people wear suits there--definitely a dinner house--atmosphere is "okay" (tables are way too tightly spaced), presentation is a piece of art--you want to take a picture of your dish before you eat it--but the food was horrible! Two of us were served gristly, tough prime rib that was undercooked for "medium." One of us was served definitely undercooked salmon--waited for it to be cooked some more--and received it still undercooked (still red in the middle)--maybe safe by now but very unappetizing. (One of us was happy with his duck.) Everyone's asparagus was served al dente, but in this case that meant it was merely blanched and served "un-done-tay"--it tasted raw. Lightly cooked asparagus, especially if cooked in broth, has a delicious flavor and texture. None of us eat raw asparagus.

Now for the price: for four people, $200.00. Even to celebrate a special anniversary, that's a lot of money for badly prepared food, two glasses of house wine, and a creme brulee. We felt really ripped off and won't be giving that place a second chance.

is there an "Angie's List" for restaurants? We'd like to report that place... and check on other places new to us before we eat out again. Asheville area is loaded with great restaurants. There's no reason to tolerate lousy food. But you have to know where to go, we're learning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina