Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,665 times

Advertisements

Guy - I have to agree with the Parkies - rent first - keep your belongings to a minimum - Once you are boots on the ground you may have a completely different sense of where you want to be in relation to Hendersonville/Brevard. Our best friends visited the area with us 2 years ago and fell in love with Brevard - they bought an acre in a 'to be developed' neighborhood. Now that they have been back several times they realize that the property they bought is way too far out from Brevard. So now they are looking for another parcel and hope that they can unload the one they did buy. I fear Hendersonville may have too many retirees and that like the Parkies you want a mix of young and dare I say old. We too will be renting when our home here sells and are pondering the questions about storing belongings - keeping everything with us, etc. We are really leaning toward keeping everything with us knowing that our rental house will have a basement and garage where we can keep the things we won't need until we move into the house we are building. I plan to leave the things that aren't essential in the boxes until the final unloading in the new house. Oh if I could only fast forward myself to that day!!! Trying to live in the present until then!! Congrats on your pending sale - I know it was a long time coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM

758 posts, read 2,287,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Guy - Oh if I could only fast forward myself to that day!!!
After GuyFriendly closes, we're going to work on you next, Loves mountains! You'd better start packing......

Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM

32 posts, read 66,069 times
Guy Friendly,

I read your post and you sound just like me a few months ago. Trying to figure out the logistics of the move seemed overwhelming.
First, I have been renting here for several months and have gotten to know the area quite well. I have been looking for a house to buy but have not found the perfect one yet. Even though I am single and don't have to compromise with anyone else, I still can't seem to find the exact right property. I highly recommend renting first if you can. I know some people who bought before they got to know the area very well and wish now that they had been more or less remote, etc. On the otherhand, I know a couple who bought right off and love their place. But I think your chances of getting it right are better if you rent first.
I got rid of most of my stuff and moved the rest of it here in a ministorrage where I have access to it anytime I want. This has worked out well.
I'd like to suggest another area of Western North Carolina for you......Spruce Pine, Burnsville area. There are loads of artists here and you can also get really remote if you want.
Anyway, that is just some of my thoughts. Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM

756 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrib View Post
I'd like to suggest another area of Western North Carolina for you......Spruce Pine, Burnsville area. There are loads of artists here and you can also get really remote if you want.
Anyway, that is just some of my thoughts. Good Luck!
Thanks, ttrib! In fact, our first love from just internet search was Burnsville! We also looked all around Boone. But after finding Hendersonville and then Brevard, we decided those were our favorite places.

But we are also open... we are looking from Bat Cave to Black Rock, too.

Time will tell. First things first, though.

1. the appraisal has to be the amount we agreed upon or greater. We can't go lower and they won't go higher.

2. If/when(!) the appraisal comes in good, then the buyer has to qualify... would not have been an issue until a couple days ago. The FHA just tightened its qualifying rules and our buyer wants FHA. Grrrrrr. But we will pray for the best and believe!

3. After 1 and 2, we still have the inspection and our response to it. We shouldn't have anything major, but sometimes inspectors nit pick top find something, anything about which they can complain. They aren't going to charge the buyer a bunch of money and then say, "Sorry, everything is perfect."

4. Then, after 1, 2, and 3, the buyer still can back out.

The good news is that each of the steps is increasingly EASIER than the step before. So by 4, the deal is virtually certain and we will be packing madly...

Old 12-11-2009, 05:36 AM

32 posts, read 66,069 times
Guy Friendly,
Believe me when I tell you that I understand the stress you are going through. Selling my house in NJ was unbelievably stressful. I am grateful every day that that is over!
I didn't really look at Brevard and Hendersonville. Why have you chosen that area? I am just curious.
Thanks

Old 12-11-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrib View Post
Guy Friendly,
Believe me when I tell you that I understand the stress you are going through. Selling my house in NJ was unbelievably stressful. I am grateful every day that that is over!
I didn't really look at Brevard and Hendersonville. Why have you chosen that area? I am just curious.
Thanks
For us, the mountains, the smaller communities, the people we met, the arts and crafts and things to do, and just the feel were all what we sought.

Asheville was too big (haha - coming from a city of 500,000 it was too big!). Boone was too difficult to navigate (crowded) and too isolated. Lenoir didn't feel right - it was OK, but not what we wanted. Weaverville was OK, but again just didn't seem right. Sylva and Franklin were too far off the beaten path. Maggie Valley was too snowy. Highlands was too wet.

It's hard to explain. Sometimes you get to a place and it just feels like what you were seeking. Hendersonville seemed that way to my wife but was a little too congested for me. Brevard was the small community I wanted where I could also maximize my photography interests. (See some of my photos at Grand Memories award winning photography features natural landscape and wildlife photographs from across the United States.).

Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM

140 posts, read 358,169 times
GuyFriendly, I wonder what you thought of Waynesville. It's a town of about 10,000, gets about 12 inches of snow a year, (much less than nearby Maggie Valley). Maybe it wasn't "artsy" enough? Your preferences seem similar to mine and I find your observations well thought and stated.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-faf View Post
GuyFriendly, I wonder what you thought of Waynesville. It's a town of about 10,000, gets about 12 inches of snow a year, (much less than nearby Maggie Valley). Maybe it wasn't "artsy" enough? Your preferences seem similar to mine and I find your observations well thought and stated.
Loved Waynesville. Nice size, not TOO far from the college at Cullowee (my wife wants to teach as ad hoc faculty), many good things and not off our radar... just not at the top right now.

We don't know... house or location? If one is absolutely perfect, we compromise on the other, although, as everyone knows, it is easier to change a house than a location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina