Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,351 times

Advertisements

I just picked up a paperback copy yesterday at Borders (paperback came out on 11/24) and I'm through the first chapter. Black Mountain is described nearly to a "tee." Yeah, I'm only one chapter into what looks like 20 or more, but it's good so far...and I expect it to stay that way given it was a NYTimes Bestseller.

For those who don't know of the book, it's a apocalypse thriller...not exactly a pleasant visitor's guide put out by the Black Mountain Chamber of Commerce, but still an excellent story (so I'm told) based in the small town. It's of the likes of "Alas Babylon" or other post nuclear survival novels, only this one deals with the silent part of a nuke explosion...the EMP wave that destroys electrical circuits (anything that plugs in or has batteries--yeah, a lot of things!). The story is supposed to follow the main character (a retired Army Colonel) who has to survive in Black Mountain after such an attack cripples the US and its impending consequences.

I look forward to reading through this one with strong imagery from visits to that town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,596 times
I was thinking about this book today, the author was on coast to coast radio program a day or two ago, he lives in Black Mountain. I grew up in BM and would like to read the book, we'll see if I do.

enjoy it.

Tony

Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

$14 at Borders (and likely all the regular book outlets). Can't go wrong. Forstchen (the author) has a few other books too...all supposedly really good.

Here's the subject book's website: onesecondafter.com - Home
And a Wikipedia article (may contain too much info--aka spoilers--for some readers: One Second After - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times
I hope you don't mind if I'm just jumping in here .... we had a funny experience ... in july we were on our way to asheville (10 hours with a trailer ... so plenty of time) and we like listening to audio books. So we started listening to patricia cornwall's 'bodyfarm' .... and for the main part the setting was Black mountain (and Asheville) - we had no clue and I am convinced, it was a sign , not just a coincidence !

thanks for the book recommendation, sounds very interesting !

Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM

279 posts, read 534,020 times
If you know nothing about EMP, the book might be interesting. It is not good writing.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
...It is not good writing.
I'm admittedly not a reader...only recently picking up Alas Babylon (to finish what I never did in high school!) and this book on a recommendation through some MilBlogs. That said, I'd have to disagree. I'm through the first couple of chapters now (only reading time is on the bus to and from work) and I can't put it down.

Not to be a smart butt or anything, but how does a book become a NYTimes Bestseller and not be good writing? I thought that was a prestigious award given to books?

Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 AM

Just finished the book last night. Certainly is a page turner like some describe it. As much as it is entertaining, it's even more scary to know (not think) that it's not far-fetched sci-fi.

I guess I need to revise my plan to "run to the hills" when the crap hits the fan!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM

279 posts, read 534,020 times
Default Another book set in WNC

You folks should try "Serena" by Ron Rash. Takes place west of Asheville in the 1930's. Logging, politics, murder, lies.

I read the whole thing last night. You can read the first chapter on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina